Dr. N. Subramanian
I have written 25 books in addition to writing chapters in some books. I am giving only the description of my books in this posting.
MY FIRST BOOK
I started to write books when I was doing my Ph.D. and Post-Doctoral work at IIT Madras during 1974-1980. At that there were only a few Indian books on computers and programming. The available foreign books were not only expensive but not comprehensive. Hence I wrote the first book, Computers: Genesis, Programming and Applications, which was published by Wheeler Publishing, 40 years ago, in 1979. At that that time I was very young and did not have grey hair and hence got rejection letter from many publishers. But Mr. Mani Thompson, Regional Manger of Wheeler publishing encouraged me and recommended my book to be published. Another person whom I want to recall is Prof. S. Sampath, former Deputy Director of IIT Madras (who later became the Director of IIT Kanpur in 1981), who was professionally known to my uncle Er. M. Rajagopal (Now retired Joint Director of Industries and Commerce) agreed to write the Forward for my book. He even made a correction in the book title, changing ‘Origins’ to ‘Genesis’. All my earlier books were typed meticulously by my own brother Lr. N. Ravindran. This book was a instant success and had good reviews and went on to the third edition in 1995, with the pages increasing from 288 to 560.
The next book was Programming for BASIC, which was the first Indian book on the BASIC Language again published by Wheeler publishing in 1980, very successful, used in several colleges, and went on to the 4th edition in 1989. I wrote this book when I completed my post doctoral work in Ocean engineering Center at IIT, Madras. I handed over the typed copy of the book to Mr. Rusi Daruvalla, Editor of Wheeler publishing in Mumbai Airport, when I was flying to Germany as Alexander von Humboldt Fellow and corrected the proofs in Germany and sent it back through postal service.
OTHER COMPUTER BOOKS
With the success of these two books, many publishers came forward to publish my books and I wrote the following books for school students, with/without other co-authors.
1. Computer Science for Class XI, Tata McGraw Hill, 1991, 383pp.
2. Computer Science for Class XII, Tata McGraw Hill, 1991, 229 pp.
3. Information Technology for Class IX, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2004, 477pp.
4. Information Technology for Class X, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 2004, 341pp.
5. 50 Programs for your Computer, Creative Publications, 1987, 79pp
The following books were also published for the general public.
6. Exploring your PC with BASIC, Wheeler Publishing, 1988, 244pp. (coauthored with my youngest brother, Mr. N. Kannan)
7. FORTRAN Self Taught, Wheeler Publishing, 1988, 226pp.
8. Introduction to Computers – Fundamentals of Systems Analysis and BASIC Programming, Tata McGraw Hill, 1989.
9. Introduction to Computers – Fundamentals of Computer Science, Tata McGraw Hill, 1986, 234 pp. (this book was reprinted 19 times).
10. Subramanian, N., and Chithra, S., Computers and the BASIC Language (in Tamil), BPB Publications, New Delhi, 1991, 220pp
When Mr. Amit Bhattacharjee, who worked in Tata McGraw-Hill joined in the Schools Division of Oxford University Press, he came to Chennai on a rainy day, may be in 1998, to Hotel Savera and asked us to meet him. It was heavy rain and somehow we reached the hotel and formulated the syllabus for computer Science (at that time no official syllabus was there for computer Science to Classes 1-8) and in 1999 the following eight books were published.
Access to Computer Education, Eight books, (Book 1, 52pp, Book -2, 76pp, Book-3, 96pp, Book-4, 100pp., Book-5, 120pp, Book-6, 156pp, Book-7, 156pp., and Book-8, 134pp.) , Oxford University Press, 1999. These were welcomed by the students and teachers and the second edition of these books were published in 2000, and the revised edition in 2011.
STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING BOOKS
When I did my Ph.D., my topic was on Steel Frame Folded Plate Roofs, a type of Space Frame. I was fascinated by different types of space frames and collected huge amount of literature on this topic. I was requesting Wheeler Publishing to publish my book on Space Frames, but they were not willing to publish it. Finally, after seeing the success of my computer books, they decided to publish it in Hard cover in 1983.
1. Principles of Space Structures, (1st Edition, 1983, 288 pp)
The second Edition of the expanded book with 666 pages was published in 1999.
Unfortunately, Wheeler Publishing closed down, soon after publishing this book, and transferred all books to M/s. S. Chand and Company, which was not interested in promoting my books. As this book was used in several Architectural colleges, I found another publisher in U.K. to publish the Third Edition of the book, in two volumes, and it was published as
2. Space Structures: Principles and Practice, 2 Volumes, Multi-Science Publishing Co., Essex, U.K., 2007, 820pp.
Unfortunately, Multi-Science Publishing Company also closed down a few years ago, without giving me any notice.
Mr. Amit Bhattacharjee called me one day in 2007 and informed that he has been asked to head Higher Education Division of Oxford University Press and requested me to write a book on Structural Engineering. At that time I was requested by my friend Dr Arul Jayachandran of SERC (He is now in IIT Madras as Professor) to be in the initial committee formed at IIT Madras to formulate the Steel Structures code (headed by the late Prof. Rangachari Narayanan). Hence we decided to write the book. As he wanted the book urgently, I almost completed the book based on the Draft code. But the code was released in 2007 contained several changes. Hence I had to redo the book completely changing clause numbers. Hence the book came out as
3. Design of Steel Structures, Oxford University Press, 2008, 1240 pp.,
This book was welcomed by several teachers, students, and practicing Engineers, as it was the first book on the revised steel code and reprinted 15 times (15th reprint, 2015). A completely revised book with several additions and omissions was published in 2016, and its 5th Reprint was released in 2019.
4. Design of Steel Structures-Limit States Method, Oxford University Press, 2016, 916 pp.
Oxford University Press thought that this book was voluminous and hence several students are not buying it. Hence a book was published with less number of pages and different examples in 2010, and the 10th Reprint was released in 2017.
5. Steel Structures: Design and Practice, Oxford University Press, 792 pp., 2010.
Though my M.Sc. (Engg.), Ph.D. as well as Post-doctoral research were in steel structures, I designed a number of concrete structures, through my company Computer Design Consultants, from 1982 to 2008 and had published several papers on RC Design. Hence I wrote a book on RC Design which was published in 2013, and its 6th Reprint was released in 2019.
6. Design of Reinforced Concrete Structures, Oxford University Press, 880 pp., 2013
Though this RC Design book is as good as the Steel Design book, its reception was not as good as the steel book, may be due to the several competing books in the market.
Realizing that Sustainability is an important criteria for Civil Engineers, as the resources are limited and some of which are already depleted, but the waste materials and pollution of land, air and water are increasing and I wrote a paper Sustainability- Challenges and Solutions, which was published as Ambuja Technical Literature Series booklet No. 130 in Jan 2008. I expanded this and published the following book recently, which also contains information on several latest materials and testing.
7. Building Materials, Testing, and Sustainability, Oxford University Press, 2019, 816 pp.
Incidentally, I also published the following book, coauthored with my friend Dr. T. Gnana Sambanthan, who did Ph.D. along with me in IIT, Madras and later retired as professor and head of Computer Science and Engineering of the National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research, Taramani, Chennai, in 1997
8. Interactive Computer Graphics Aided Design, Wheeler Publishing, 2nd Edition, 1997, 204 pp.
MY JOKE BOOK
When I became the president of the Rotary Club of Madras Metro, in 1995, I wrote the following joke book, based on several jokes jotted by me while attending several Rotary meetings and also those I read from other publications, which were found to be impressive.
1. A to Z book of Jokes, Jaico Publishing Company, 1995.
The royalty of this book, which was reprinted seven times (7th Reprint, 2007), went to the community service projects of the Rotary Club of Madras Metro.
Three of my books got the coveted ACCE-Nagadi Award for best book in Civil Engineering:
1. Principles of Space Structures, 2nd edition-2000
2. Design of Steel Structures-2011
3. Design of Reinforced Concrete Structures-2013
LIST OF MY BOOKS
1. Subramanian, N., Building Materials, Testing, and Sustainability, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2019, 816 pp., ISBN: 9780199497218, https://india.oup.com/product/building-materials-9780199497218?
2. Subramanian, N., Design of Steel Structures-Limit States Method, 2nd edition, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2016, 916 pp., (5th Reprint, 2019) ISBN:9780199460915, https://india.oup.com/product/design-of-steel-structures-9780199460915?
3. Subramanian, N., Design of Reinforced Concrete Structures, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 880 pp., 2013, 6th Reprint, 2019, ISBN:9780198086949, This book received the ACCE-Nagadi Award in 2013. https://india.oup.com/product/design-of-reinforced-concrete-structures-9780198086949?
4. Subramanian, N., Steel Structures: Design and Practice, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 792 pp., 2010, 10th Reprint, 2017, ISBN: 9780198068815 https://india.oup.com/product/steel-structures-9780198068815?
5. Subramanian, N., Design of Steel Structures, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2008, 15th reprint, 2015, 1240 pp., ISBN: 0-19-567681-5, This book received the ACCE-Nagadi Award in 2011, https://india.oup.com/product/design-of-steel-structures-9780195676815?
7. Subramanian, N., Principles of Space Structures, (1st Edition, 1983, 288 pp) 2nd Edition, Wheeler Publishing, Allahabad, 1999, 666pp. ISBN: 81-7544-067-8 This book received the ACCE-Nagadi Award in 2000.
12. Subramanian, N., and Chithra, S., Access to Computer Education, Eight books, (Book-3, 96pp, ISBN: 9780198066149, Book-4, 100pp., ISBN: 9780198066156, Book-5, 120pp, ISBN 9780198066163, Book-6, 156pp, ISBN 9780198066170, Book-7, 156pp., ISBN: 9780198066187, and Book-8, 134pp., 9780198066194) , 1999, Second Edition 2000, Revised edition, 2011 (Book 1, 52pp, ISBN 9780198066125 and Book -2, 76pp, ISBN 9780198066132), First edition, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2011 https://india.oup.com/content/courses/access-to-computer-education/