www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Software Development (Open Source)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Open Source Software Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes a lot of sense Abhio. Perl/Python are known for their text processing capabilities specially power of regular expressions.

We look forward to anything done in perl/python and may make available development server account with Perl/Python compilers and CGI enabled so one can put the scripts in Action for community to experience the project in action LIVE on sefi without having to download or install anything then once they get keen they can see code enhance or contribute code or ideas.

As for a needs of engineering community concerned with todays Powerful PCs , we need not bother which language, unless some simulation like stuff. Try any that you know and comfortable with. Lets not limit ourself. Come forward with what ever one knows to do programming in.

If ever one gets a program that needs gigantic amount of Memory and CPU, we can get cloud resources for that to make test runs on daily or hourly basis easily available these days. User need not worry too much on this aspect. We will try to provide sponsored computing environment for users that will be powerful enough if needs go beyond PC level. Now a days Quad Core / RAMs of 4 GB are more are becoming common among even young gamers, and when there is purpose it makes sense to avail what technology offers. Any user who have difficulty at getting computing resources needed for any wonderful project idea do write to me, I shall try to do our best.

Lets speak the language one knows and attempt the bridge the gap, slowly common friends [who speak same language perl/python or which ever] will evolve for the project to accelerate.

Best wishes

Sanjeev Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sanjeev &
abhio

Good !
it is now shortlisted that we do this development in Python / Perl  

Now that 1st Hurdle is cleared, I will come up with a clear cut document as what is required to be extracted and what are the bottle necks you may encounter, I will also provide with some sample files.

I may not be able to help you in the programming side I do not know Python / Perl, but may be sometime down the lane I may become a die hard fan of them as you are today.

Give me couple of days I will come up with a requirement document.

Thanks for the support
I hope we grow together.
ganti

<Session>
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bijay sarkar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sefi Admin,

The dates alongwith others of this discussion are not getting updated in the Index. Please look into it.

Moreover, this is requested that as "User Requirement" phase has been started, the same should be thrown to all probable users of Sefi for their views. In this respect, "General Discussion Forum" is the best place for consolidating the "Requirements", if something more special forum is not dedicated. If agreed, you may please shift the topic under suitable subject head and invite all the sefians including seniors for their comment/view on the requirement as well as other things, if any.

A thorough surgical operation is required from all angles of requirements.

It would be better if the topic is kept as sticky one.

regards

Bijay Sarkar
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Note :- This is only preliminary document, I would like some feed back and updates on the document being uploaded, once we freeze the requirements we can proceed with the next stage

ADMIN :- Can you call in for Volunteers pl. those who know Python / perl
and also decide who will be the moderator Yourself or
abhio

If I can be of any help please let me know

ganti
<Session>

<Session>
bijay sarkar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

We all are really sometimes nervous to check the Staad or some other software output as the output are not generated in a format what we look for. We do not know the inner workings of the software as the technical specifications/software guide books/help files of the concerned software have not elaborated the engineering know-hows adopted by the software developers as well as source code is not an open one.

Type of requirement is to some extent elaborated as follows :

Say, the “Design Output Parameters” for a column. Assuming that Staad is doing everything all right and output result of Staad is acceptable, we normally want the result sheet summarised in such a way that the sheet can be checked without any hassles from this page to that page for a single column from bottom till it ends at roof i.e. the format in which we can check the data with minimum effort and pass the sheet to the draftsman who may feel easy with the sheet for preparing the drawing. Now here, we can conclude that for a single column from pedestal top to roof top, we require to generate two sheets,       

(i) Design Data Sheet (ii) Drawing Data Sheet which are to be checked by the engineer and subsequently will pass the Drawing Data Sheet to the draftsman.

This is felt that all civil engineers have such personal requirement.  That is why this topic came up and brought here for their views/comment.  Users are requested to please come forward if really felt necessary.

Regards,

Bijay Sarkar
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear
bijay sarkar
can you comment on the required output format given in the document ? is that ok or you would advice further change

Dear Sefians

further, i am not seeing much interest among the community members in this issue, I am getting a feeling that perhaps I am over excited to deliver a software under open source FREE for all the members,

Or is it that members want the somebody to do the JOB and everybody else just download and enjoy the work,

There are tonnes of open source programs which are wonderful and worth high appreciation to a few dedicated (AND PART TIME PROGRAMMERS) and are being used by big companies  
Linux is one such code, SVN, we can keep on naming,

and there is not much noteworthy OPEN SOURCE in Civil Engineering side (Ironically there will be many takers if it is available) let us join hands in what ever way we can
            1. Coding
            2. Contributing suggestions
            3. Supplying input data (through required files)
            4. Checking

it is not necessary that you need to be a programmer to contribute !!!
you can contribute for items 2, 3, 4

these things encourage our efforts otherwise after a few days I trust the project will DIE.

regards
ganti
Rudra Nevatia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Software Development (Open Source) Reply with quote

Dear Someshwar,

There are several open source software initiatives e.g. Opensees and Calculix. The hitch seems to be lack of Graphical User Interface.

I wonder how many of Sefians would be interested in joining hands in developing world-class software, of course with GUI.

Regards,
Rudra Nevatia

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM, someshwar ganti <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
dear
bijay sarkar
can you comment on the required output format given in the document ? is that ok or you would advice further change

Dear Sefians

further, i am not seeing much interest among the community members in this issue, I am getting a feeling that perhaps I am over excited to deliver a software under open source FREE for all the members,

Or is it that members want the somebody to do the JOB and everybody else just download and enjoy the work,

There are tonnes of open source programs which are wonderful and worth high appreciation to a few dedicated (AND PART TIME PROGRAMMERS) and are being used by big companies

and there is not much noteworthy OPEN SOURCE in Civil Engineering side (Ironically there will be many takers if it is available) let us join hands in what ever way we can
                 1. Coding
                 4. Checking

these things encourage our efforts otherwise after a few days I trust the project will DIE.

regards
ganti

Posted via Email
pravin.pai
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Software Development (Open Source) Reply with quote

Dear Someshwar :

Your idea of developing CE programs with shared code is good, but please understand that all engineers are always busy with their project work and with that pressure they can hardly afford any time for such ancillary work. Moreover design programs consume a lot of testing man-hours unlike other programs. Now another way is to get young fresh engineers to write code but they hardly know proper design engg work to be able to develop code for them. So this is the difficulty.

BTW, the original SAP code is available in the public domain and it can be downloaded from UC at Berkeley site. If any of you can develop a pre-processor and a post-processor to this engine you can have another STAAD or ETABS.

Regards
Pravin Pai

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM, someshwar ganti <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
  dear
bijay sarkar

Dear Sefians

1. Coding
4. Checking

regards
ganti

Posted via Email
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear
Rudra Nevatia,
to your question

"I wonder how many of Sefians would be interested in joining hands in developing world-class software, of course with GUI."

my answer is NONE !!! so far and I do not expect a miracle on it.

Dear Pravin pai,

1. You mentioned the SAP code is available as Open source, can you post the link on this site (I tried to browse the site and could not get the link), perhaps that would be useful for people interested to develop a program to analyze and design and give it FREE to to the community. (i will be the first volunteer on that project)

yes engineers are tied up with their work massively and will not be able to dedicate time on jobs that have NO Bearing on the growth of their carrier, however most of the open source is developed on a part time basis only, it is because they have the Zeal to do things want to contribute back something (however small) to the community.

My personal interest is also the same, I want to contribute back to the Civil Engineering community through programs as I am programmer By Choice and Civil Engg. by profession, I am having to lie low because the programming language chosen is Python which I have no Idea of it.

Dear every body,

I do not know how useful this program will be but,

I have developed the above program myself for my company but due to commercial interest of my company I will not be able to make it an Open Source, However I can make that part of the program a Freeware,   I do not know if I am allowed to give the link or not but anybody interested can give a private message in this forum I will send the link.

I am still open to have it developed as  Open Source if I can get 1 or 2 guys who know Delphi / C# / C++  , but again licensing the compilers will be an issue as those are not available free.

regards
ganti

<Session>
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Open Source Software Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: