www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Concrete - PK Mehta

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pradeep_hebbar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Concrete - PK Mehta Reply with quote

Hi all,

Do anybody have the following book?

Mehta. P. K. and Paulo J. M. Monteiro “Concrete- Microstructure, Properties, and Materials” (Indian Ed., Indian Concrete Institute), McGraw Hill.

Please note that I already have the Third edition of this book. I need the Indian edition published by Indian Concrete Institute.

Pradeep Hebbar
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Concrete - PK Mehta Reply with quote

Dear Er Pradeep,

Yes. It is a nice book- not very expensive, I think, and has an excellent CD also.

The authors or the original publisher has to give permission to the  Indian Concrete Institute. Somehow I do not like the quality of paper used in the ICI version of the book. Of course I should appriciate that the cost was low.

Best wishes
NS
pradeep_hebbar wrote:
Hi all,

Do anybody have the following book?

Mehta. P. K. and Paulo J. M. Monteiro “Concrete- Microstructure, Properties, and Materials” (Indian Ed., Indian Concrete Institute), McGraw Hill.

Please note that I already have the Third edition of this book. I need the Indian edition published by Indian Concrete Institute.

Pradeep Hebbar
pradeep_hebbar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Concrete - PK Mehta Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Thank you.

I wanted to purchase the pdf copy of the same book. Do you have any detail (i.e "Google Book" id, or other websites where it can be purchased)?

In the internet, Indian version is not mentioned.

Pradeep Hebbar
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Concrete - PK Mehta Reply with quote

Dear Er Hebbar,

May be the Indian edition by ICI is out of print. Those requiring a copy should contact ICI HQ at Chennai.

Kinddle (electronic) edition is available through Amazon at $85.65.
See: http://www.amazon.com/Concrete-Microstructure-Properties-Materials-Mehta/dp/0071462899

It is an excellent book on Concrete Technology and more useful for those at RMC plants and at site- limited use to designers, though designers are also supposed to know the material on which they are basing their designs. In olden days, concrete was only a mixture of cement, Course (broken stones) and fine (river sand) aggregates , and water. They simply mixed them manually-without much consideration for W/c ratio, but cured them with ponding for sufficient length of time (14days).

Now the technology has changed completely after the introduction of a variety of chemical and mineral admixtures. More over present day (available) concretes are finely ground having high early strength but susceptible for shrinkage if not cured properly. We are even substituting other aggregates (both course and fine). Concrete in many places not mixed at site but made in factory and travels a long distance- uses chemicals to delay the setting, and pumped to greater heights. Self compacting concrete is being used even in India at many places due to its advantages (see many ICJ Special issues on SCC). But curing has taken a back seat, resulting in cracking, corrosion and a host of associated problems. Hence it is better for the structural engineer to know the developments in concrete technology also.

Other good books on Concrete technology are:
Concrete (2nd Edition) by Sidney Mindess, J. Francis Young and David Darwin,Prentice Hall,2002, 644pp

Properties of Concrete: Fourth and Final Edition by A.M. Neville, Wiley, 844pp ( I admire Prof. Neville for his insights and also his witty speeches!)

I found the Indian book Concrete Technology by M.S. Shetty to be adequate and covering many topics.

Best wishes
Dr N Subramanian
pradeep_hebbar wrote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you.

I wanted to purchase the pdf copy of the same book. Do you have any detail (i.e "Google Book" id, or other websites where it can be purchased)?

In the internet, Indian version is not mentioned.

Pradeep Hebbar
pradeep_hebbar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Concrete - PK Mehta Reply with quote

Thank you Sir

Pradeep Hebbar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: