www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Quality of threads and posts in SEFI forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kajal.chopra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Quality of threads and posts in SEFI forum Reply with quote

Hi,

I just had a look at the posts in SEFI after a long time..I'm sorry if I sound rude but I personally feel that the quality of discussions is come down drastically than what it was a year and more ago.

Sorry- I might be wrng just a personal observation..

Kajal
debayan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they are, then too it has to be answered isn't it?

In an open forum what forms quality questions and what doesn't is an entirely speculative matter and an exercise in futility. Not to mention it can vary from person to person.

I guess inspite of not meeting certain standards of 'quality' this forum is still helping a noble cause, which is important, and its best left at that.

Regards,
Debayan
suraj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Post Quality Reply with quote

Post Quality
Significant is to note that budding engineers are helped.

Quality Crtiteria:

1. Use of English or other language
  2. Length of explanation
  3. Composition of queries
  4. Response to queries
  5. Engineering depth invloved
  6. Management area served

• I understand that use of English varies from person to person & it does not matter as far as topic is understood
  • Explanation should be based point to point
  • Queries should be composed correctly without misleading & supported by complete required information
  • Response to queries can be augmented if queries so require
  • Engineering depth involvement shall help everyone
  • Management areas in field & others, should be covered for a better understanding of profession.

kajal.chopra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Surajji,

Exactly these are the common issues noticed.

That is;

Quote:
Use of English

Often, grammar in the posts is incorrect to a very large degee (though there is no means to measure the quantum of incorrectness of English language) that one looses interst in further reading.

Quote:
Length of explanation

This is not a problem in this forum- I feel...

Quote:

Composition of queries

I saw a query- How to design a structure which is in the basement to be used for car park. Is this a query? For such things, our country gets a reputation of being composed of unprofessional people who are less technically advanced.

Again, some queries like the one on ETABS reduced live load just get dragged and it can be clearly seen that the topic is so devitaed from the main subject of the query. One should not post a query just for posting. I'm sorry this is often happening.

4,5,6 is not aproblem..We can improve quality by points 1 and 3 I suppose.

Kajal
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Quality of threads and posts in SEFI forum Reply with quote

Yes this is there but may be due to paucity of time .We must thank
those who take out some time from their busy working life and reply
so that it could help others.

Essence (technical advice ) is more important  

best regds

vikramjeet
-- ญญ

Posted via Email
francis chacko
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Quality of threads and posts in SEFI forum Reply with quote

Many young engineers are getting very much tech.help and they are learning. hence quality is not the criteria.

francis

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM, suraj <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Post Quality
Significant is to note that budding engineers are helped.

Quality Crtiteria:

1. Use of English or other language
  2. Length of explanation
  3. Composition of queries
  4. Response to queries
  5. Engineering depth invloved
  6. Management area served

• I understand that use of English varies from person to person & it does not matter as far as topic is understood
  • Explanation should be based point to point
  • Queries should be composed correctly without misleading & supported by complete required information
  • Response to queries can be augmented if queries so require
  • Engineering depth involvement shall help everyone
  • Management areas in field & others, should be covered for a better understanding of profession.

Thanks & Warm Regards

Name of PE: Eng Suraj Singh (Faridabad NCR)
P Eng No: 700066-4
Issuing Authority: Board For Certification
Discipline: Civil Engineering
Valid Upto: 30/09/2015
The Institution of Engineers (India)

Posted via Email
kajal.chopra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if I've hurted anyone's feeelings as I have too benefitted a lot from SEFI and continue doing so...

I just wanted to suggest we can all help by:

1) Being precise and taking due care that discussion is restricted to topic under discussion. I'm sure this trait will not only help us in this forum but in our professional career as well.

2) Of course English is something we develop as we all grow. Nevertheless an attempt can be made.

Again, thanks to ALL. This forum rocks as always:)

Kajal

P.S. I'd like to mention I couldn't find recent posts from an evergreen star of this forum of whom I'm an admirer because of his high level subject knowledge- Dr.Kunal Kansara. Sir, where are you?
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Quality of threads and posts in SEFI forum Reply with quote

Also everybody is not as gifted as respected Inderjeet Barua sahab ,, Dr Kunal kansara,  
and some others when it comes to expression of matters thru pen.  

But we must endeavor for betterment , technically as well as otherwise wise.

best regds

vikramjeet
-- ญญ

Posted via Email
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Chopra,

Sorry, I could not participate earlier in the discussion started by you. I also have similar feelings.

One can not simply say that the language (English) is not important. Sometimes we do not understand what the participant is asking. Moreover at higher levels, one's promotion is based on his/her communication skills. Hence they must improve it! (I studied in Tamil medium only and my English was poor- I improved it by reading the The Hindu paper daily(Of course the quality of that paper has gone down in recent years) and by reading other books). Of course not all can write like Dr
Kunal Kansara, but it is better to express one's views clearly in simple language.
Another thing I notice is that the same question, which was discussed elaborately earlier, is asked again and again. People should first browse the site before asking any question.

One can use the features available in SEFI to check the spelling!

All the best!

NS
kajal.chopra wrote:
I'm sorry if I've hurted anyone's feeelings as I have too benefitted a lot from SEFI and continue doing so...

I just wanted to suggest we can all help by:

1) Being precise and taking due care that discussion is restricted to topic under discussion. I'm sure this trait will not only help us in this forum but in our professional career as well.

2) Of course English is something we develop as we all grow. Nevertheless an attempt can be made.

Again, thanks to ALL. This forum rocks as always:)

Kajal

P.S. I'd like to mention I couldn't find recent posts from an evergreen star of this forum of whom I'm an admirer because of his high level subject knowledge- Dr.Kunal Kansara. Sir, where are you?
kajal.chopra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Subramanianji,

Thank you for partipating in this discussion.

Yes, that is what I was trying to bring out. This forum has earned a real good reputation in India and most of the Structural Engineers who are active in the field (active - academically or in Engineering practise) know of it.

However, we all need to make an attempt that it gains a reputation similar to as in India worldwide.Hence this discussion. If it gains a reputation worldwide, we all are going to benefit with more people and professionals participating.

Thank-you,
Kajal
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: