|Dr. N. Subramanian
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.
|Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:15 pm Post subject: Gems of Structural Engineering: Prof. S.K. Kaushik
I am very happy to post the short resume of Prof. S.K. Kaushik, past president of ICI and Professor (Retd.) from IIT Roorkee, who has done immense work on reinforced concrete and published numerous papers and guided 140 students for Ph.D. and M. tech. All of you might have heard him in some seminar.
In addition to being an excellent researcher, and teacher, he has also contributed as a consultant. He is a very nice and kind person.
I am fortunate to know him for the past several years. May God Bless him with health, happiness and many more years of active life!
Prof. S. K Kaushik,
Ph.D, FNAE, FIE, FICI, FISET, FIGS, F.ACCE,F.ABI (USA),
Past President, Indian Concrete Institute
Dr. S. K. Kaushik is an eminent Academician, Researcher and Consulting Structural Engineer. He is an elected fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering, New Delhi comprising India’s most distinguished engineers, engineer-scientists and technologists covering the entire spectrum of engineering disciplines, since 1999. During his vast career, he supervised 30 Doctoral theses and 110 Masters Theses at Roorkee. He has to his credit more than 250 published research papers in journals & conferences and led the design of concrete buildings, bridges, R O Bs stadia etc worth over Rs. 400 crore . During conversion of University of Roorkee to IIT Roorkee (2002-2004), he led the construction programme of IIT Roorkee worth Rs. 100 Crores.
Prof. S.K.Kaushik demitted office as former Head of the oldest Civil Engineering Department at University of Roorkee (now IIT Roorkee) on superannuation in June, 2005 after 35 years of distinguished service to the profession. Prof. Kaushik distinguished himself by leading the Indian Concrete Institute (1995-97) and Fibre Reinforced Concrete (1997-1999), the Indian Society of Construction Materials & Structures as their President. Additionally he had the privilege of being chairman of Roorkee Centre of Institution of Engineers (India), Vice President of the International Ferrocement Society (Bangkok), Indian Society of Earthquake Technology and Association of Consulting Civil Engineers (India).
Professor Kaushik was earlier the coordinator of Ferrocement Information Network (India), Advanced Centre of Composite Building Materials (MHRD), Centre of Relevance, and Excellence (CORE) in Disaster Mitigation of DST (MOST) at IIT Roorkee.
He was a governor of Engineering Council of India (ECI), New Delhi and represented IIT Roorkee and ICI on several BIS and IRC committees.
Prof. Kaushik has received Brij Mohan Lal Award and E.P. Nichol aides medal (twice) from IE (I), Best Paper Award from ICFRCC (Chennai) and ISCMS Roorkee, Career Research Award (UGC) & Outstanding Concrete Technologist Award (ICI) in 2004.
Dr. Kaushik has been an active social worker in Rotary Clubs of Dehradun and Roorkee Mid-Town. He was President of R.C./Roorkee M.T. during 1999 and organized several blood donation camps at Roorkee in association with, PGI Chandigarh.
He is presently doing voluntary service in the engineering Construction Department of Radha Soami Satsang Beas (Distt. Amritsar) Punjab since July 2005.
LAST POSITIONS HELD:
• Professor and Head
Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Roorkee
• Chairman Estates & Works IIT Roorkee
• Coordinator TIFAC. CORE DISASTER MITIGATIN. DST/GOI, IIT Roorkee
NATIONAL POSITIONS HELD:
• Fellow, Indian National Academy of Engineering 1999-
• Governor, Engineering Council of India 2002-
• Chairman, Professional Engineers Registration committee, Indian June 2003
Concrete Institute, Chennai
• Vice President, International Ferrocement Society, Bangkok 2001-04
• President, Indian Concrete Institute, Madras 1995-97
• President, Indian Society of Construction Materials & Structures,
New Delhi 1996-2000
• President, Intern. Centre for Fibre Reinforced Concrete Comp., Chennai 2000-02
• Chairman, Institution of Engineers (India) Roorkee Local Centre 1996-98
• Co-coordinator, Ferrocement Information Network(India) Univ. of Roorkee 1991
• Honorary Secretary, Indian Institution of Bridge Engineers, Roorkee Centre 1998-03
• Honorary Secretary, INAE, Roorkee Chapter 2000-03
• Chairman, INAE Roorkee Chapter, 2005
ADMINISTRATIVE INVOLVEMENT AT IIT- ROORKEE:
• Chairman- Estate & Works/ House Allotment Committee/ Academic Equivalence Committee/ Pension Benefit Committee/ Air Conditioning and Power Misuse committee/ CPP Committee/ Out Sourcing Committee
• Member- Senate/ Budget Committee/ Space Allocation Committee
• Member, Research Advisory Group, Material Science Division, SERC Ghaziabad.
• Expert on Selection Committees SERC, Ghaziabad
• Expert on Selection and Assessment committees CBRI, Roorkee & CPRI New Delhi
• Reviewer, for Assessment of Work Reports of scientists, SERC, Ghazibad and Madras & CBRI, Roorkee
• Reviewer of technical papers , CSIR, New Delhi,
• Peer Review of R & D Programs, CBRI, Roorkee
• Expert Member of Advisory Committee, U.P. Council of science and technology
• Member, Review Committee on Inter-Laboratory National Project on Building Materials
• Expert Member on schemes for Travel Grants, Seminar Grants, Emeritus Fellowships.
• Member, Standing committee on Grant of Equivalence
• Expert Member on Scheme of Career Awards
• Expert Member for Evaluation of new Institutions
INVOLVEMENT AT PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION:
• Advisor, Union Public Service Commission, New Delhi
• Advisor, Uttarakhand Public Service Commission, Haridwar
INVOLVEMENT WITH BUREAU OF INDIAN STANDARDS
• Member- CED-57: Cyclone Resistant Structures
• Member- CED-37-Structural Safety Sectional Committee
• Member- CED-07- Structural Engineering Sectional Committee
• Member—CED-02-Cement and Concrete Sectional Committee
INVOLVEMENT WITH INDIAN ROADS CONGRESS
• Member- Bridges Rehabilitation and Retrofitting Committee (B-9)
PRESENT INVOLVMENT – THAPAR UNIVERSITY PATIALA
• Member Institute Management Committee
• Expert Member – Building Works Committee
• Examiner- M.E./ Ph. D Theses
PRESENT INVOVEMENT – INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS (INDIA)
• Member- National Committee for Registration of Professional Engineers (Civil Engg.)
• Reviewer – IE(I) Journal, Civil Engineering Division
1. Brij Bhushan Lal Prize from the Institution of Engineers (India) in 1981
2. Best Paper Award by International Centre for Fibre Reinforced Composites, 2001
3. E.P. Nicolaides Prize, Institution of Engineers (India), 2001
4. University Grants Commission Career Award 1985-1988.
5. Honour Plaque, Indian Concrete Institute, Bangalore, Aug. 1993.
6. Listed in International Directory of Distinguished Leadership, 1994- American Biographical Institute, Raleigh, N.C., U.S.A
7. Honorary Appointment to Research Board of advisors, 1994- American Biographical Institute Raleigh, N.C., U.S.A
8. Nominated for “ABI Gold Record of Achievement for 1996”, American Biographical Institute N.C., Raleigh, U.S.A. Sept. 1996.
9. Nominated for inclusion in 13th Edition of “International who’s Who Intellectual” International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, London, July 1997.
10. Nominated as Deputy Governor, American Biographical Institute Research Association, Raleigh, N.C., U.S.A. June 1997
11. ICI — Maharashtra Centre Best Paper Award, Indian Concrete Institute, Chennai, 2003
12. EP Nicolaides Prize, 2003, Institution of Engineers (I), Paper Entitled “Flexural Fatigue and Failure Probability of Steel Fibrous Concrete”.
13. Best Concrete Technologist Award, Indian Concrete Institute, 2004.
14. Best Paper Award, ICFRCC, Chennai, 2004
15. Life Time Achievement Award, Indian Concrete Institute, 2006, KOLKATA, 13Sept. 2006
16. Award as Guest of Honour at TDM 2006, NIT, HAMIRPUR on 29 September 2006.
17. Guest professor at NIT Hamirpur in August 2008.
He has also visited several countries on official assignments/holiday. These include Italy, France, London, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, USA and New Zealand.