www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Dr. Omer W. Blodgett

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Engineering Marvels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Dr. Omer W. Blodgett Reply with quote

Dr. Omer W. Blodgett

Leadership Award Winner Dr. Omer W. Blodgett and Wife Dorothy

Omar Blodget is a legend in welded steel structures. He turned 90 on November 27, 2007.

Omer W. Blodgett earned bachelor degrees in metallurgical engineering (1941) and mechanical engineering (1974) from the University of Minnesota. He accepted a position with Lincoln Electric Co. in Cleveland in 1945 and retired as a senior design consultant from the same company.

He is recognized nationally and internationally as an expert in the design of welded connections and has been influential in the development of national standards to the code of the American Welding Society.

He is the author of several significant papers on sizing welds, control of distortion, brittle fracture, and fatigue. He is particularly well known for two books Design of Welded Structures and Design of Weldments. Which, even though originally published over 40 years ago, are considered to form the foundation for the entire field of design for welding.

He is the recipient of numerous awards, including the Lifetime Achievement Awards from the American Institute of Steel Construction and the T.R. Higgins Lectureship Award. He received an honorary Doctor of Science degree from LeTourneau University and in 1999 Engineering News Record identified him as one of the top 125 engineers in the past 125 years.

In the words of Dr Fisher, another great steel designer:

"Most structural engineers think of Omer as an icon in the field of structural engineering.

The amazing fact is that most do not realize that Omer was not educated as a structural engineer. He studied mechanical engineering and metallurgy. He is, however, a truly gifted engineer, and his contributions to the AISC Specification are invaluable.

In 1983, Omer received the AISC T. R. Higgins lectureship award, one of the highest honors given by AISC to individuals that have contributed to the structural steel industry.

I was excited to be in the audience to see him accept the award, and to hear his lecture. The most memorable part of the event was his acceptance speech. I could not believe how such an icon could be so humble in his accomplishments. This is something we should all emulate.

I consider Omer’s book Design of Welded Structures to be a classic text for structural engineers. I learned and solved many structural problems because of information in the text. Omer, please continue to participate in all of your technical activities. We need you!
James M. Fisher, PhD, PE
Chair, AISC Specification Committee
VP, Computerized Structural Design"

You may get the wisdom of Dr Blodget from the link: http://weldingdesign.com/blodgett/

I also suggest you to read: http://www.jflf.org/pdfs/papers/mentoring.pdf, where Dr Blodget's mentoring skills are revealed!

Best wishes
Subramanian
karthikeyankrish
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Absolutely True Reply with quote

Dear sir,
It is absolutely true, I have his book the “Design of Welded Structure” this is a wonderful book with all the basic for an Engineer. Being an Engineer specialized in Connection Design, I love this book.
By the way I am a Mechanical Engineer…
Karthikeyan Krish
abhy_vivek
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dr. Omer W. Blodgett Reply with quote

Dr. Omer W. Blodgett

Dr. Blodgett

the Gem with his wife Dorothy

Intersting video on welding process at Linkon

Leadership award winner at Linkon Foundation

The great Book on Welded Structure

Dr. Blodget in training at Session at Linkon foundation

Omar Blodgett (left) with co-workers at the Globe Shipbuilding Co. shipyard in 1945
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Engineering Marvels All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: