www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

FOUNDATIONS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> E-Conference on Tall Buildings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saahil
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: FOUNDATIONS Reply with quote

Hi Mr. Tuong

Can you upload any SAFE file containing Pile Design

Thanks
Mustafa

bpdtuong wrote:
Dear E S Jay,
We can easily design the pilecap foundation for shear wall if you use SAFE, a software of CSI. If you want to design by hand you can change from the shear wall to column.
Regards,
D.Tuong

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 8:02 PM, es_jayakumar <forum> wrote:
Quote:
            Dear Experts,

It is understood that the foundation of high-rise buildings is generally raft, pile or piled raft. How are the group of pile & pile cap designed for the shear wall of a tall building ? Any book or helping material to the aid ?

Regards,

E S Jayakumar

Posted via Email
jshukla
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Colleagues,

Sharing one more ref for tall building foundations.

I hope it helps.

jay

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
Tall Buildings, Deep Foundations - Middle East Experiences, 2009 1.pdf
 Description:
Tall buildings and deep foundation Middle East experience by Harry Poulos

Download
 Filename:  Tall Buildings, Deep Foundations - Middle East Experiences, 2009 1.pdf
 Filesize:  3.74 MB
 Downloaded:  1678 Time(s)

picajol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear experts,
I see a lot of geotehnical programs for setllement analysis and raft design that have an option of defining a foundation as a RIGID or a FLEXIBLE.
What defines this parametars?

Why cant a FEM analysis be used where user can define a slab thickness, its E modulus and then define soil parametars? I think this seems like a logical thing to do
Are there any programs on the market that can do this or not?

I have only been familiraized with programs that use K modulus of subgrade reaction but as disscused in this forum, this is not a real soil parametar and varies from place to place under a raft foundation.

I found a program that seems to calculate various K modulus under a raft based on soil and structure properties. Program is called ELPLA.

I would realy appriciate if experts on this forum could teach us more on real world project and examples.
I thank you very much my friends.
somesh s
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: FOUNDATIONS Reply with quote

Dear all

Can you suggest me, is it required to do live load reduction for 4 storey RC wall slab buildings?

Thanks & Regards
Somesh.S

Sent: 05 December 2012 00:02
To: econf34289@sefindia.org
Subject: [E-CONF] Re: FOUNDATIONS

Dear experts,
I see a lot of geotehnical programs for setllement analysis and raft design that have an option of defining a foundation as a RIGID or a FLEXIBLE.

Why cant a FEM analysis be used where user can define a slab thickness, its E modulus and then define soil parametars? I think this seems like a logical thing to do

I have only been familiraized with programs that use K modulus of subgrade reaction but as disscused in this forum, this is not a real soil parametar and varies from place to place under a raft foundation.

I found a program that seems to calculate various K modulus under a raft based on soil and structure properties. Program is called ELPLA.

I would realy appriciate if experts on this forum could teach us more on real world project and examples.

This Message and its contents is intended solely for the addressee and is proprietary. Information in this mail is for L&T Business Usage only. Any Use to other than the addressee is misuse and infringement to Proprietorship of L&T Construction. If you are not the addressee please return the mail to the sender.
L&T Construction.

Posted via Email
Manoharbs_eq
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For four stories it in not preferable to use live load reduction.

Rgds
Manohar
gautam chattopadhyay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: FOUNDATIONS Reply with quote

Soil is a heterogeneous anisotropic material and property varies from layer to layer. The first assumption of FEM does not comply with the characteristics of soil. This is why soil cannot be modelled using mathematical tools like FEM or Finite differences.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM, picajol <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Dear experts,

Posted via Email
picajol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear gautam,
what you said hast helped anyone on this topic.
Please, by reading your post people get an impresion that non of the foundation can be calculated and this is not true.
Experts use various programs, hand calculate, geotehnical advices,  and in 99% foundation and soil can be succsesfully analyzed!
All calculations are based on assumptions wich try to be as close as possible to real life scenario. They are NEVER 100% true.
So please I would like that we all try help each other, share as much usefull information and do our best to the community.
Thank you my friends
Manoharbs_eq
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly agree with Gautam sir's comment, Its a true fact that soil is heterogeneous material and varied with layers and upon itself in mass.

But we can apply FEM theory by adopting some assumptions.

we can use any FEM package like plaxis, Ansys, SAP2000 many of it.
for dynamic and other PEER offers good packages.

Modelling soil now using FEM packages is quite easy, we can model layers of soil using solids for properties.

I have performed Soil structure interaction analysis wherein , we had used springs and also the solid model. So its not impossible please refer good references on SSI.

Rgds
Manohar
picajol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Manohar,
thank you very much for your input.
Can you tell us wich software you have used for analysis and what was the procedure?
I see that PLAXIS is very powerfull software and a lot of experts are saying good things aboth it.
But reading the ELPLA possibiltes on their site is seems that this program is also capable of making lot of calculations. What are your opinions on this?
Thank you Smile
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

The design of pile foundation system (not that of pile cap) for a shear wall subjected to moment, vertical load and lateral load is explained in the book "Reinforced Concrete Vol-I" by H.J.Shah.

Regards,

E S Jayakumar
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> E-Conference on Tall Buildings All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: