www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Design of beam in plan bending direction that is My dirctn
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudhakaran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear,

STAAD will design for Mz and My with torsion but can not done at a time. You do a trial design with both case and combine it and verify manually.

Check the horizontal load transfer mechanism is it torsion? (if load not acts at exact centre of the depth). If so try by applying tosion in the form of uniform moment.

Design using column design may not economical and the shear and torsion design may a problem

These are all my suggestions since i never come across such a problem.

Regards,

Sudhakaran.
ibu_4_u wrote:
Dear Sudhakaran Sir,

i believe that staad will design beam for moment in Mz direction and Moment in Mx direction, for that reason i had applied the torsion design parameter also in staad for designing beam.

but as per in my case i am applying the UDL load on beam in Fy direction and Fx direction, as it is applied on the center line of the beam the torsion effect is not much coming in the picture.
sakumar79

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
    To design the beam with horizontal load acting on it, what I do in case of simple structures is
1. Design the beam with only vertical loads on it.
2. Design the beam separately with width and depth values interchanged and apply the horizontal load as vertical load.
3. The max. Ast of top and bottom steel from second step is considered, divided by two and added as extra reinforcement bar(s) at the four corners of the beam designed from point 1.

Above methodology may be a bit more complicated to apply in case of complex structures

However, if I understood you correctly from the first post, you are designing this for self supported curved roofing (without truss). In that case, you will probably also have a gutter. If so, you can use the gutter base slab as a deep beam (base slab thickness will be width of beam and gutter width+end wall thickness+tie beam thickness will be depth of beam) for taking the horizontal thrust. Provide detailing to anchor the gutter slab bars at the columns.

Yours sincerely,
Arunkumar
Sudhakaran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sir,

I seems same methodology(1&2) has been used in staad. But why third step is used ie, Ast divide by 2

sakumar79 wrote:
Dear Sir,
    To design the beam with horizontal load acting on it, what I do in case of simple structures is
1. Design the beam with only vertical loads on it.
2. Design the beam separately with width and depth values interchanged and apply the horizontal load as vertical load.
3. The max. Ast of top and bottom steel from second step is considered, divided by two and added as extra reinforcement bar(s) at the four corners of the beam designed from point 1.

Above methodology may be a bit more complicated to apply in case of complex structures

However, if I understood you correctly from the first post, you are designing this for self supported curved roofing (without truss). In that case, you will probably also have a gutter. If so, you can use the gutter base slab as a deep beam (base slab thickness will be width of beam and gutter width+end wall thickness+tie beam thickness will be depth of beam) for taking the horizontal thrust. Provide detailing to anchor the gutter slab bars at the columns.

Yours sincerely,
Arunkumar
sakumar79

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
      Half the Ast is taken to calculate required Area/diameter of 1 bar which will be provided on each four corner. For example, if we get max Ast of 200 sqmm in the horizontal load case, we need 100 sqmm per bar for which one 12 mm dia bar should be added to each corner. Here, we need to remember that in the case of design for the horizontal load, Ast from staad is shown as "Top" and "Bottom" reinforcement but should be interpreted as "Left Side Ast" and "Right side Ast" in the actual beam. Hence, this reinforcement can also be given in the form of skin reinforcement in case of deep beam.

Yours sincerely
Arunkumar
ibu_4_u
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear arunkumar Sir,

i am designing this for self supported Curved roofing (without tuss) spanning for 36m,
and i am also having RCC gutter, which is running continues through out the length,
One of my colleague has also given the same advice as suggested by you, considering the gutter with beam as a deep beam.

At present i am following the same advice as given by you all.

Thank you very much for your recommendations and advices.

Kind Regards
Ibrahim vepari
Sudhakaran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Arunkumar sir,
Thank you sir.

sakumar79 wrote:
Dear Sir,
      Half the Ast is taken to calculate required Area/diameter of 1 bar which will be provided on each four corner. For example, if we get max Ast of 200 sqmm in the horizontal load case, we need 100 sqmm per bar for which one 12 mm dia bar should be added to each corner. Here, we need to remember that in the case of design for the horizontal load, Ast from staad is shown as "Top" and "Bottom" reinforcement but should be interpreted as "Left Side Ast" and "Right side Ast" in the actual beam. Hence, this reinforcement can also be given in the form of skin reinforcement in case of deep beam.

Yours sincerely
Arunkumar
pravin_shirsath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to sakumar79,
Workout moment capacity  for My and Mz for Ast provided

& check interaction ratio for bending.

considering beam element for biaxial moment will give you heavy design compare to column design,but it is safe and easy for calculation for moment and shear.
uhvaryani
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Design of beam in plan bending direction that is My dirctn Reply with quote

Dear friends,
For biaxial bending of beams,we may refer to.
1.chapter 6 of book,Biaxial bending of reinforced concrete
members,by u.h.varyani,and
2.Sinha,S.N.and Banerjee,I. Design aids for R.C.rectangular
beams subjected to biaxial moments.The Indian Concrete
Journal,May,1994.
with best wishes and regards,
uhvaryani

Posted via Email
ibu_4_u
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Uhvaryani Sir,

I got one book name "Design aids for Limit state design of Reinforced Concrete Members" by U.H.Varyani & A.Radhaji.

I also got the worked out example in this book, as per my requirement.

Thanking you sir, for your references.

Thanks & Regards,<o></o>
Ibrahim Vepari
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: