www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Architect and Structural Engineer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravichandran_Ramachandran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Dear SEFIians,

I have not worked much with Architects! However, O have worked with Electrical & Mechanical Engineers! Just like Architectural drawings are the mother drawing for buildings, Electrical / Mechanical drawings are the mother drawings for Industrial buildings!

They do not get vendor information on day one and they prepare their drawings based on the available / past data! This is bound to change when actual order is placed and vendor of the equipment does his engineering!

Changes cannot be avoided! Take ironing right spirit and get along with your colleagues be it Architect/ Mechanical/ Electrical Engineers.

By the way, Architects, never prepare detailed civil drawings! At best they may prepare details for architectural drawings!

Regards,

R. Ravichandran
Retired Design Head ( C & S)
L & T, Chennai

On Monday 5 October 2015, ibarua <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
[quote]            5th October 2015

Fellow engineers, like it or not, for a vast majority of engineering projects, the architect's drawings are the 'mother' drawings on the basis of which engineering drawings have to be made. Indeed, Hudson's Dictionary has called the architect the 'Master Builder'. While the architect provides the shape and the form, the engineer provides the substance to enable the architect's creation to be of service.

Having said that, let me add that I have not quite understood what Er Dipak Bhattacharyya is trying to say in the 2nd paragraph of his post. I am only trying to clarify the scopes & functions of the architect and the structural engineer to enable all of us to understand and appreciate the status of the different professionals engaged in design activity in a building nor similar engineering project.

Indrajit Barua.

Sent: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 22:12:39
To: general@sefindia.org
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Architect and Structural Engineer
           Architects’ ego clash with structural engineers are from time immemorial. It is more so with Govt. Architects, with more years of service, promotions and experiences.
Todays’ professional Architects love only draughting with new and new softwares with no interest to learn detailing of reinforcements of their own ideas and their lies the problem with civil structural designers, throwing all detailing jobs to the engineers already loaded with structural designing. It is still acceptable, provided they are good at concept design.But alas, that is not taught at the Institutions.There the emphasis is limited to draughting only.

The biggest agony is that an Architect’s drawing cannot be used for constructions, and all of their drawings are converted to working drawings in the language of civil engineers who are at site for constructions.

The statements are unpalatable but these are facts.Architects’ drawing are limited to appreciation of beauties only, if those are really unique.

Regards,

Dipak Bhattacharya.
-       --auto removed--

Posted via Email
anjan_sen
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Dear Concerned,
I think main problem in all professionshave egos. In case we all haverespect for opinions of others and have the logical mind to argue & accept the best then many interdisciplinary problems can be sorted out; it is not onlybetween Civil Engineers & Architects but with Engineers of other disciplines as are encountered by the Civil Engineers in manufacturing units. All said and done egos are notthere to stayso let us live with what we are in.
Sen

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 10:59 PM, ibarua <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
[quote]            5th October 2015

Fellow engineers, like it or not, for a vast majority of engineering projects, the architect's drawings are the 'mother' drawings on the basis of which engineering drawings have to be made. Indeed, Hudson's Dictionary has called the architect the 'Master Builder'. While the architect provides the shape and the form, the engineer provides the substance to enable the architect's creation to be of service.

Having said that, let me add that I have not quite understood what Er Dipak Bhattacharyya is trying to say in the 2nd paragraph of his post. I am only trying to clarify the scopes & functions of the architect and the structural engineer to enable all of us to understand and appreciate the status of the different professionals engaged in design activity in a building nor similar engineering project.

Indrajit Barua.

To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)
           Architects’ ego clash with structural engineers are from time immemorial. It is more so with Govt. Architects, with more years of service, promotions and experiences.
Todays’ professional Architects love only draughting with new and new softwares with no interest to learn detailing of reinforcements of their own ideas and their lies the problem with civil structural designers, throwing all detailing jobs to the engineers already loaded with structural designing. It is still acceptable, provided they are good at concept design.But alas, that is not taught at the Institutions.There the emphasis is limited to draughting only.

The biggest agony is that an Architect’s drawing cannot be used for constructions, and all of their drawings are converted to working drawings in the language of civil engineers who are at site for constructions.

The statements are unpalatable but these are facts.Architects’ drawing are limited to appreciation of beauties only, if those are really unique.

Regards,

Dipak Bhattacharya.
-       --auto removed--

Posted via Email
vegad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,
I thank experienced engineers for the discussion on thisbasic need of mutual respect for professions.

Totally agree with Varyaniji - 'Architect should respect the role of structural engineer and structural engineer should appreciate the workof architect.' & Ramchandranji - 'Changes cannot be avoided! Take ironing right spirit and get along with your colleagues be it Architect/ Mechanical/Electrical Engineers.'
Engineers operating on different contractual setup may have different perspectives and experiences.

As a freelance or proprietor or individual consultant with small practice, there are hardly any agreements on paper. This does not allow room for :
- any extra resource for change,
- iterations and educated communication to demonstrate feasibility by basic structural concepts to architects which they had in their curriculum too.

Where as in a managed setup like contracting companies orarchitectural engineering firms, there are proper contracts of scope handled by project management focused on resource, schedule and finance management. The architects and engineers work in the limits negotiated by pm office. Both the architectural and engineering HODs are employees of same business practice, hence get paid from same account. Any conflicts are solved by iterations tomeet certain industry codes and standards; individuality and insecurity don't intermingle much.

Architects develops a form on the basis of investors requirement. Engineers provide only ensure safety of these load paths within prescribed limits of performance through that form. Contractors executes theload paths. For these deliverables, engineers job is easy to match codal limitations; architects job is most difficult - to entertain whims of clients.

Architects work gets visible and are image related whereas engineers work is hidden and is taken for granted; more like the tiffin which we pick from our home, while leaving for work.

So what makes engineers job more difficult, few reasons:
1) acceptance of fake(*) stability certificates by approvingauthorities;
2) poor negotiating power due to presence of fakecertificate providers;
3) no on paper agreements of scope of services and fees.
(* - any certification which does not comply with its own intent and which gets accepted without evidence of the intent.)

With a democratic setup where nobody is accountable for wrong things, point no. 1 has no solution.
Due to lack of self-respect and professional ethics or justdue to oversupply, point no. 2 has no solution without a statute.
Point No. 3 has been verified by almost zero opinion for the post:

http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15805&highlight=

The reason for ego is to be understood well. Any insecurity to self-respect creates ego. No clients sues architects for poor ventilation, poor drainage standards, poor air quality, user discomfort, lack of ergonomicsin design. Architects have a council and law for their protection, still as their product requires to meet only the basic DCR standards and no functional specifications, they have more cheap competitors than engineers. Clients can dump architects with more ease. Even civil engineers had delivered architectural deliverables.

The only solution for respectful atmosphere in our economy is either work in a contractor-engineer setup, or get the client on paper to avoid the brunt. Structural engineer can keep his insecurity under control by accepting the fact that he is just a paid-social-worker working for safety of clients . . nothing more than that.

If thats not an acceptable statement, there are three options:
a) stop un/underpaid social work or;
b) have a parallel income from other sources to empower yourself to secure self-respect by saying no to malpractice or;
c) ask professional institutions to knock the doors of regulators harder.

Point c) can be well exercised by professional institutions with so many cases of failed structure and rise of social media environment, with legal caution. Professional institutions can involve/ consult non-government institutions like CII to learn the lessons to deal with regulators and bill makers.

Thank you.

Other similar reading:
http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15666&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Binoy Bhuson Saha
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

subject: [SEFI] Re: Architect and Structural Engineer
Dear sefians
In my opinion any drawing is to be prepared based on the requirement.During preparation of drawing care should be taken for sunlight,wind direction as per the site condition.you are right that drawing prepared based on previous data which is general practice after that drawing are revised R1,R2 like that.Suppose structural drawing of boiler is to be prepared until or unless different data like wind load surge load dead load etc. complete drawing can not be prepared.But work should not be stopped for such reason preliminary drawing is prepared.

Sent: Monday, 5 October 2015 9:32 PM

Dear SEFIians,

I have not worked much with Architects! However, O have worked with Electrical & Mechanical Engineers! Just like Architectural drawings are the mother drawing for buildings, Electrical / Mechanical drawings are the mother drawings for Industrial buildings!

They do not get vendor information on day one and they prepare their drawings based on the available / past data! This is bound to change when actual order is placed and vendor of the equipment does his engineering!

Changes cannot be avoided! Take ironing right spirit and get along with your colleagues be it Architect/ Mechanical/ Electrical Engineers.

By the way, Architects, never prepare detailed civil drawings! At best they may prepare details for architectural drawings!

Regards,

R. Ravichandran
Retired Design Head ( C & S)
L & T, Chennai

On Monday 5 October 2015, ibarua <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org) (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:
Quote:
5th October 2015

Indrajit Barua.

To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org) (javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)')Wink

Regards,

Dipak Bhattacharya.
- --auto removed--

Posted via Email
manoj jain
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

I do agree that a professional have a big ego. But I can say you have to make a chemistry with Architect so that they at least do not infringe in structural part of the building. I am lucky enough that some of my client architects do not take any decision at site without consulting me.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 7:13 PM, uhvaryani <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Dear Sefians, During my career,I have always enjoyed working with architects.Many of them have become my friends.I respect their profession.A new work first goes to an architect.He has to have many meetings with client and he prepares sketches and plans as per client's requirements and also in accordance with municipal bye-laws.When an architect prepares detailed architectural drawings,then he needs help of structural engineer,estimating engineer other services engineers.
An architect is taught structural analysis and design as a subject of his studies.But,as the scope of his work is quite large,he needs assistance of a structural engineer for safety and economy of structure.So architect and structural engineer form a team to deliver the final building.
Often,requirements of an architect vary from the needs of a structural engineer.For example,architect prefers less number of columns in a building,while structural engineer will like to have more number of columns.Architect prefers shallow beams to save on the head room,while structural engineer likes to have more depth for beams to save on steel consumption.Further,positioning of some columns may become a point of contention.My approach has always been to do the structural design of a building as it is given to me by the architect.I like to make as few changes as possible in architectural drawings.I respect the of work of architect.
But I have not found an architect who does not change his drawings.He will suddenly omit columns in some locations or make other changes without informing structural engineer.This creates practical problems and puts the work of structural engineer to naught.Some architects will go to the site and make sweeping changes which may lead to extra cost and wastage.The bigger the architect,the bigger is his ego.We,in all professions, are egoistic people.All good lawyers,doctors,architects, engineers have egos.The bigger the professional, the bigger is his ego.In my view,ego is required for success in career.Sri Ramakrishna has said that man of knowledge is known by two things,one is absence of pride and the other is peaceful nature.By being egoist, a professional is seen to possess shallow knowledge.
In my Life Story,I have written that' there often remains some tension in relations between architects and their structural engineers'.This is true in practice.The solution lies in the process of having respect for each other.Architect should respect the role of structural engineer and structural engineer should appreciate the work of architect.
Dear Sefians,what are your experiences in this respect?
with best wishes and regards,
uhvaryani

Posted via Email
rjmprasad
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

It is not enough if one understand's the text of Architect's drawings, sincere effort is required to understand the context of Architect's work.
Whenever any changes are made on site to any civil works, after freezing of Architectural drawings(Mother drawings), then where is question of following the same(Mother drawings).
The Oxford Dictionary calls architect "Designer of Buildings" and hence it may not be appropriate for a designer to change designs often during the execution of same, if it is done, then, sacredness and discipline of function gets affected which leads to loss in the credibility of players involved.
It is not just a predisposed role of any discipline but a careful and a deliberate attempt to respect and understand each other will result in a masterpiece.
RJM Prasad On 05-Oct-2015 5:32 PM, "ibarua" <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:[quote]            5th October 2015

Indrajit Barua.

Regards,

Dipak Bhattacharya.
-       --auto removed--

Posted via Email
ibarua
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

6th October 2015

An 'architect' has to be registered with the Council of Architecture (CoA) to practice the profession and to be called an 'architect'. This is in accordance with the Architects Act-1972. And, to be registered with the CoA, one has to have a B.Arch. degree from an institution recognised by the CoA. It is an offence to call oneself an 'architect' without being registered with the CoA.

Indrajit Barua.

Sent: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 21:12:02
           I am a civil engineer but mostly engaged in building planning like explained above with municipal bye-laws etc.My point is what should I called as ? Above writers wrote with the angle of Architects or as if only architects do planning.It is underestimating the diverse knowledge of civil engineers and inadvertently or indirectly supports Architects greater than that of civil engineers.What @ people like me who are working as planning engineers? or do what the jobs architects do? yes we should have respect to their field no matter,but with maintaining our dignity and not like accepting them as our boss.good luck

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:10 PM, dipak_bhattacharya <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
      --auto removed--

Posted via Email
Pradeep Kr Raj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an architectural engineer I prepare plans and elevations and as a civil engineer I prepare steel and RCC structures and as a mechanical engineer,I prepare some drgs related to building services. (My first degree is Mechanical from a govt college back in 1992, third is Architectural Engineering tempted by building design and fourth is civil engineering from Institute of Engineers(India) tempted by structural need). As I undertake all design related to building and industries I would like to forward my opinion on this matter.
Architects can bring live to space, can make space as if a tool for human use for achieving purpose or used to carry out a particular function and can make magic utilization of space bringing efficiency to human resources.Mean to say a space can be more welcoming, more inviting and brings a lot peace and efficiency of its dweller; it heightens its value. Architecture is a tour to a wonderland, new things new concept new facts all the time and time yet to come. However, as an experience structural engineers as well I have a deep respect for the need of safety and bringing the dream of architecture to the real world. In past and present, many architects learn structural engineering to depth to realize their dream to come true. They never ignore structures or disrespect structural engineers. They are humble people and truly understand the harmony between architects and structural engineers. True professional people realize this by heart and every faculty.
It is not surprise many do not understand the importance of harmony between the two subjects.
plankonindia
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Persons registered with COA can only write title Architect not any one else. Engineers may be in building planning & construction cannot use word title of Architect. An engieer can use title Construction Engineer. If some one has membership of Architectural Engineering with IEI can use title Architectural Engineer..

Pradeep Kharbanda

-Original Message-

Date: 10/7/2015 10:31:06 AM

6th October 2015

An 'architect' has to be registered with the Council of Architecture (CoA) to practice the profession and to be called an 'architect'. This is in accordance with the Architects Act-1972. And, to be registered with the CoA, one has to have a B.Arch. degree from an institution recognised by the CoA. It is an offence to call oneself an 'architect' without being registered with the CoA.

Indrajit Barua.

Sent: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 21:12:02
I am a civil engineer but mostly engaged in building planning like explained above with municipal bye-laws etc.My point is what should I called as ? Above writers wrote with the angle of Architects or as if only architects do planning.It is underestimating the diverse knowledge of civil engineers and inadvertently or indirectly supports Architects greater than that of civil engineers.What @ people like me who are working as planning engineers? or do what the jobs architects do? yes we should have respect to their field no matter,but with maintaining our dignity and not like accepting them as our boss.good luck

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:10 PM, dipak_bhattacharya wrote:
--auto removed--

FREE Animations for your email              Click Here!                   

Posted via Email

butterfly_bottom.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.18 KB
 Viewed:  222 Time(s)

butterfly_bottom.gif

butterfly_top.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.33 KB
 Viewed:  223 Time(s)

butterfly_top.gif

MANOJ MITTAL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Mr. Namdev,

There are large number of Civil Engineers who are working like you. They are providing comprehensive consultancy services for the building design including supervision. These services also include space & functional planning. Its also true that you can not call yourself as an "architect" since it can be used by only those who are registered with COA. But no law prevents you from doing this kind of design. Architects act 72 protects the title of Architect but this act unlike MCI & BCI does not regulate the profession . You must also read the preamble of this act. There are number of court judgments in favour of engineers. You may also refer to Qualifications & competence given in NBC-2005 Part -2 (administration). You may call yourself anything but Architect.

Best Regards,

MANOJ MITTAL

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 12:56 PM, "manoj_shelter@yahoo.com" <manoj_shelter@yahoo.com> wrote:  
[quote]    #yiv5178492873 #yiv5178492873 -- body { background-color:#E5E5E5;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11;color:#000000;} #yiv5178492873 font, #yiv5178492873 th, #yiv5178492873 td, #yiv5178492873 p {font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;} #yiv5178492873 p, #yiv5178492873 td          {font-size:11;color:#000000;} #yiv5178492873 a:link, #yiv5178492873 a:active, #yiv5178492873 a:visited {color:#006699;} #yiv5178492873 a:hover          {text-decoration:underline;color:#DD6900;} #yiv5178492873 hr     {height:0px;border:solid #D1D7DC 0px;border-top-width:1px;} #yiv5178492873 h1, #yiv5178492873 h2          {font-size:22px;font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none;line-height:120%;color:#000000;} #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873bodyline     {background-color:#FFFFFF;border:1px #FFFFFF solid;} #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873gen {font-size:12px;} #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873genmed {font-size:11px;} #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873gensmall {font-size:10px;line-height:12px;} #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873gen, #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873genmed, #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873gensmall {color:#000000;} #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873gen, #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873genmed, #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873gensmall {color:#006699;text-decoration:none;} #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873gen:hover, #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873genmed:hover, #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873gensmall:hover     {color:#DD6900;text-decoration:underline;} #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873forumlink          {font-weight:bold;font-size:12px;color:#006699;} #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873forumlink      {text-decoration:none;color:#006699;} #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873forumlink:hover{text-decoration:underline;color:#DD6900;} #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873postbody {font-size:12px;line-height:18px;} #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873postlink:link     {text-decoration:none;color:#006699;} #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873postlink:visited {text-decoration:none;color:#5493B4;} #yiv5178492873 a.yiv5178492873postlink:hover {text-decoration:underline;color:#DD6900;} #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873code { font-family:Courier,;font-size:11px;color:#006600;background-color:#FAFAFA;border:#D1D7DC;border-style:solid;border-left-width:1px;border-top-width:1px;border-right-width:1px;border-bottom-width:1px;} #yiv5178492873 .yiv5178492873quote { font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:11px;color:#444444;line-height:125%;background-color:#FAFAFA;border:#D1D7DC;border-style:solid;border-left-width:1px;border-top-width:1px;border-right-width:1px;border-bottom-width:1px;} #yiv5178492873       Sent from BlackBerry on Airtel
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 05:00:11 +0000
To: <general@sefindia.org>
ReplyTo: general@sefindia.org

6th October 2015  An 'architect' has to be registered with the Council of Architecture (CoA) to practice the profession and to be called an 'architect'. This is in accordance with the Architects Act-1972. And, to be registered with the CoA, one has to have a B.Arch. degree from an institution recognised by the CoA. It is an offence to call oneself an 'architect' without being registered with the CoA.   Indrajit Barua.  From: namdev_warade  Sent: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 21:12:02  To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org) Subject: [SEFI] Re: Architect and Structural Engineer            I am a civil engineer but mostly engaged in building planning like explained above with municipal bye-laws etc.My point is what should I called as ? Above writers wrote with the angle of Architects or as if only architects do planning.It is underestimating the diverse knowledge of civil engineers and inadvertently or indirectly supports Architects greater than that of civil engineers.What @ people like me who are working as planning engineers? or do what the jobs architects do? yes we should have respect to their field no matter,but with maintaining our dignity and not like accepting them as our boss.good luck   On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:10 PM, dipak_bhattacharya wrote:       --auto removed--         --

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: