www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

[Education] - Projects for the UG Students

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Econference on State of Structural Engineering Practice and Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: [Education] - Projects for the UG Students Reply with quote

Dear All,

Welcome to the conference.

I have worked with some of the UG students for their project work as resource person from Industry.

1. Faculties are offering more and more advance topics to their students.
2. These topics are really beyond the capacity of students
3. Main reason behind these topics is the research publications
4. Some time faculty is working for his PhD and asks students to share a part of it

I am not totally against these topics to UG, but have following concerns.

1. Many students do not know concept of load path and the practical aspects of the design. Hence, it is better to focus more on the area where they will get the exposure to the overall behavior of the building.
2. Every UG student is not expected to join Research. Futher, for joining Research also; it is better to have exposure to the practical aspects.

My recommendations

1. There should be very general topics which will give them chance to study the behavior of the building.
2. Following can be the general areas (for Structural only)
    a. Design of Industrial Building
    b. Design of High Rise Building
    c. Comparitive study of building under wind & seismic loads
3. There should be one guide from the Industry. This guide should also have number of years of experience in Industry.

Best Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
murtaza.haveliwala
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: [Education] - Projects for the UG Students Reply with quote

Dear All.
I completed my Masters degree in Structures from a reputed Government college in Mumbai.Masters students are treated as personal assistant of professors and their only task to get the masters degree was to conduct classes on professors behalf,do their administrative work and attend college from 9am to 5pm.The attendance was compulsory part.Any idea from students to get practical experience as an intern(with or without pay) in a consultancy firm was frowned upon.To an extent that,he would be threatened to make repeat the year if caught.  
If one was good at above task,no need to worry about thesis,one can easily get through.
Masters Colleges have now become factory where a post graduate student is used by professor/their PHD students as temporary workers to complete their administrative chores in the name of Government Stipend.In the two year course,the first year carries 8-10 subjects out of which some have already been taught at undergraduate level.

I would request SEfians who have completed their masters recently to share their experience in light of the above.

Regards.
Murtaza.

Posted via Email
nimish.khanolkar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my masters in 2009. It was a relatively fruitful masters that set the foundation for my seismic design capabilities. The topic was Performance Based Design for a RCC Building Structure.
It gave me a headstart in seismic concepts, and was one of the best decisions.
I was supported well by my professor, but this thing needs to be noted that i graduated from IIT Bombay. Being a college of repute, things are kind of reverse there.
The college wholeheartedly supports those who would liek to do a good thesis. However, most students have their aim on becoming tomorrows leaders, via IAS, MBAs, or direct jobs in finance and allied sectors. So they do a half hearted thesis and get out with passable grades.
That was the state in 2009, i heard the Biswas Committee made quite some Structural Changes, and now things are somewhat better.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Econference on State of Structural Engineering Practice and Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: