www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

sub : structural engineering practice

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Econference on State of Structural Engineering Practice and Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k.gangadharan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: sub : structural engineering practice Reply with quote

TO  E CONF@seindia.org (CONF@seindia.org)
to  the esteemed sefian community
In my opinion a good structural engineer must essentially possess worthwhile experience in construction practices, and a good knowledge of concrete technology and  sufficient  practical experience and knowledge  in design practice  vogue in everyday life in our country and design methods of concrete and steel.
A structural engineer who deals with concrete design should also possess thorough   knowledge of design codes applicable to concrete practice and also how this is applied in practice
Most of the graduates and even post graduates coming out of the new colleges are not aware of the various Indian standards , Irc codes & steel codes dealing with design of buildings , bridges and steel structures . This is because they are not taught with reference to codes applicable to practical design of structures in the colleges.
I had the the opportunity of recruiting candidates and interviewing them in a consultancy , where  I work.
Many of the candidates do not know how to draw  bending moment and shear force diagram under various load combinations.  Many of them do not know  the initial setting time and final setting time of concrete. even Pg candidates did not correctly state modulus of elasticity of concrete and steel.
Many of them do not  know the difference between working stress method of design and limit state methods of design. Their fundamental knowledge  is far below standards.
It is true that you do not come across practical design problems when they study in the new institutions.  
A true  practical problem is entirely different from what they study  from text books in colleges.; It is mainly because the faculty members who teaches them the subjects do not have any practical design experience.
I can cite my experience in one context
I went for post graduate studies  in structural engineering after  working undergoing 15 years of design experience & practice in PWD Design wing under the guidance of well qualified& Uk educated design post graduate engineers  possessing MIStruct E professional certification from  Institution of structural Engineers   London.   I had a good grasp of Bridge engineering and design codes both Indian  and british  codes & IRC . The faculty member who was teaching bridge engineering in PG studies was a PHd holder from Kharagpur IIT.Unfortunately he has no practical knowledge of bgidge  engineering or design experience. He used  to consult with me in the superstructure design and substructure design and foundation design of bridges and different types of bearings adopted for bridges, because he had  no practical experience in designing those components of bridges.
What I want to stress here is that mere academic qualification alone is not enough and adequate for a successful practical design structural engineer.  
Even post graduates passing out  from  new institutions , do not know how to design a multistoreyed building using earthquake codes and wind codes.
Coming to actual design practices in structural design as pointed out by Er Prabhakar of Vasi , detailing is a very important part of structural design and many of the structural engineers do not know how to make good structural detailing of concrete and steel structures. It is very important part of our design work and what we design manually or using computer is translated into actual application  thru structural  detailing & good  structural drawings.  Special skill is necessary for this.  
I have worked with International consultants in Middle east countries for 20 years and their drawings contains every  perfect detail required for construction.
Structural engineering and civil engineering   today is not the one 50 years ago. One should update what  is  happening thru research in modern times . One should undergo  practical training and learn new things in design and concrete technology by lot of reading and attending seminars conducted by professional associations.
I also endorse many of the  points  posted in his mail by Er. Satyapal in his posting dated 13th feb.2016

regards
K. Gangadharan
Structural Consultant 

Posted via Email
SATYAPAUL
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: sub : structural engineering practice Reply with quote

dear friends, even we know all the shortfalls in our profession,we have become helpless spectator.cut throat  competition and low cost of delivery of services has brought all of us to this stage.unless a  regulator is appointed by govt. of India,Milk is separated from water,nothing can be achieved.quality  of engineers can not be checked.private universities are churning out graduates which are of no use.pay  the money and get permission to open an engineering college and award them first class degrees. if our politicians want to make money by giving permission to open private universities with out  proper faculty,then whom to blame. building character of nation and its leaders shall be top priority. how many scams by ruling party after independence,some are highlighted and some remain as ashes in the  burnt files. we all should suggest to the Prime Minister how to improve production of quality goods and  services.regulate professional's skills.only after five years field experience,only the engineer shall  work as consultant.bring an Engineer's Bill and get it passed by parliament.How architects have their  bill,because of Mr. Piloo Modi, who was an ARCHITECT by qualification and parliamentarian.let us  altogether frame an engineers bill and send copy to all MP'S FROM RULING PARTY.We have engineers as  Minister of defense. let us approach him and convince about the significance and apprise him about the  advanced country's Professional Engineers Bill.our Institution of Engineers(India) has been  marginalized.It has got no say. we all can not achieve any thing with out regulation by govt. of  India,otherwise we have to get together and form our own course of conduct.who do not abide by them, we  should not co-operate with them in real life. regards satya paul  On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 14:44:56 +0530 "k.gangadharan"  wrote >                   TO  E CONF@seindia.org (CONF@seindia.org)  > to  the esteemed sefian community  > In my opinion a good structural engineer must essentially possess worthwhile experience in construction  practices, and a good knowledge of concrete technology and  sufficient  practical experience and  knowledge  in design practice  vogue in everyday life in our country and design methods of concrete and  steel.  > A structural engineer who deals with concrete design should also possess thorough   knowledge of design  codes applicable to concrete practice and also how this is applied in practice  > Most of the graduates and even post graduates coming out of the new colleges are not aware of the  various Indian standards , Irc codes & steel codes dealing with design of buildings , bridges and steel  structures . This is because they are not taught with reference to codes applicable to practical design  of structures in the colleges.  > I had the the opportunity of recruiting candidates and interviewing them in a consultancy , where  I  work.  > Many of the candidates do not know how to draw  bending moment and shear force diagram under various  load combinations.  Many of them do not know  the initial setting time and final setting time of  concrete. even Pg candidates did not correctly state modulus of elasticity of concrete and steel.  > Many of them do not  know the difference between working stress method of design and limit state  methods of design. Their fundamental knowledge  is far below standards.  > It is true that you do not come across practical design problems when they study in the new  institutions.  > A true  practical problem is entirely different from what they study  from text books in colleges.; It  is mainly because the faculty members who teaches them the subjects do not have any practical design  experience.  > I can cite my experience in one context  > I went for post graduate studies  in structural engineering after  working undergoing 15 years of  design experience & practice in PWD Design wing under the guidance of well qualified& Uk educated  design post graduate engineers  possessing MIStruct E professional certification from  Institution of  structural Engineers   London.   I had a good grasp of Bridge engineering and design codes both Indian   and british  codes & IRC . The faculty member who was teaching bridge engineering in PG studies was a  PHd holder from Kharagpur IIT.Unfortunately he has no practical knowledge of bgidge  engineering or  design experience. He used  to consult with me in the superstructure design and substructure design and  foundation design of bridges and different types of bearings adopted for bridges, because he had  no  practical experience in designing those components of bridges.  > What I want to stress here is that mere academic qualification alone is not enough and adequate for a  successful practical design structural engineer.  > Even post graduates passing out  from  new institutions , do not know how to design a multistoreyed  building using earthquake codes and wind codes.  > Coming to actual design practices in structural design as pointed out by Er Prabhakar of Vasi ,  detailing is a very important part of structural design and many of the structural engineers do not  know how to make good structural detailing of concrete and steel structures. It is very important part  of our design work and what we design manually or using computer is translated into actual application   thru structural  detailing & good  structural drawings.  Special skill is necessary for this.    > I have worked with International consultants in Middle east countries for 20 years and their drawings  contains every  perfect detail required for construction.  > Structural engineering and civil engineering   today is not the one 50 years ago. One should update  what  is  happening thru research in modern times . One should undergo  practical training and learn  new things in design and concrete technology by lot of reading and attending seminars conducted by  professional associations. > I also endorse many of the  points  posted in his mail by Er. Satyapal in his posting dated 13th  feb.2016 >  >  > regards > K. Gangadharan > Structural Consultant  >       > >  >  > --

Posted via Email
dssisodiya
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: sub : structural engineering practice Reply with quote

Respected all eminent structure engineers ,
most of the structure engineers have cited problems with
some solutions,Here I propose that a SWOT analysis be made and
a draft be floated to overcome the shortcomings, be presented to the
central government or with change.org we all structure engineers raise
the issue to wake up the central government and then push for the real cause.
Dharmendra Singh Sisodiya
Raipur  

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 2:43 PM, k.gangadharan <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           TO  E CONF@seindia.org (CONF@seindia.org) (CONF@seindia.org (CONF@seindia.org))
to  the esteemed sefian community
In my opinion a good structural engineer must essentially possess worthwhile experience in construction practices, and a good knowledge of concrete technology and  sufficient  practical experience and knowledge  in design practice  vogue in everyday life in our country and design methods of concrete and steel.
A structural engineer who deals with concrete design should also possess thorough   knowledge of design codes applicable to concrete practice and also how this is applied in practice
Most of the graduates and even post graduates coming out of the new colleges are not aware of the various Indian standards , Irc codes & steel codes dealing with design of buildings , bridges and steel structures . This is because they are not taught with reference to codes applicable to practical design of structures in the colleges.
I had the the opportunity of recruiting candidates and interviewing them in a consultancy , where  I work.
Many of the candidates do not know how to draw  bending moment and shear force diagram under various load combinations.  Many of them do not know  the initial setting time and final setting time of concrete. even Pg candidates did not correctly state modulus of elasticity of concrete and steel.
Many of them do not  know the difference between working stress method of design and limit state methods of design. Their fundamental knowledge  is far below standards.
It is true that you do not come across practical design problems when they study in the new institutions.
A true  practical problem is entirely different from what they study  from text books in colleges.; It is mainly because the faculty members who teaches them the subjects do not have any practical design experience.
I went for post graduate studies  in structural engineering after  working undergoing 15 years of design experience & practice in PWD Design wing under the guidance of well qualified& Uk educated design post graduate engineers  possessing MIStruct E professional certification from  Institution of structural Engineers   London.   I had a good grasp of Bridge engineering and design codes both Indian  and british  codes & IRC . The faculty member who was teaching bridge engineering in PG studies was a PHd holder from Kharagpur IIT.Unfortunately he has no practical knowledge of bgidge  engineering or design experience. He used  to consult with me in the superstructure design and substructure design and foundation design of bridges and different types of bearings adopted for bridges, because he had  no practical experience in designing those components of bridges.
What I want to stress here is that mere academic qualification alone is not enough and adequate for a successful practical design structural engineer.
Even post graduates passing out  from  new institutions , do not know how to design a multistoreyed building using earthquake codes and wind codes.
Coming to actual design practices in structural design as pointed out by Er Prabhakar of Vasi , detailing is a very important part of structural design and many of the structural engineers do not know how to make good structural detailing of concrete and steel structures. It is very important part of our design work and what we design manually or using computer is translated into actual application  thru structural  detailing & good  structural drawings.  Special skill is necessary for this.  
I have worked with International consultants in Middle east countries for 20 years and their drawings contains every  perfect detail required for construction.
Structural engineering and civil engineering   today is not the one 50 years ago. One should update what  is  happening thru research in modern times . One should undergo  practical training and learn new things in design and concrete technology by lot of reading and attending seminars conducted by professional associations.
I also endorse many of the  points  posted in his mail by Er. Satyapal in his posting dated 13th feb.2016

regards
K. Gangadharan
Structural Consultant 

Posted via Email
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: sub : structural engineering practice Reply with quote

Dear Er Gangadharan,

I appreciate and endorse all the points raised by you.

Unfortunately, the present day graduates think that they should also earn link IT Engineers and hence want to work in an office environment and do not want to go to sites.

In USA there is a system in which Practicing Engineers come to colleges and teach as Adjunct Professors. In India such a system is not there, though I found some IITs have some practicing engineers teaching subjects/giving guest lectures. They also have some foreign faculty working for short periods. Some Institutes send their students abroad for a few months. But such Institutes are rare. In USA they is a practice of Internship, which is not there in most of the Colleges in India.

There are too many codes in India. Civil Engineering Students opting for Design work  should at least read the following codes:
IS 875 (parts 1-5)
IS 456
IS 800
IS 1893 (Part 1 at least)
IS 13920

As you have rightly said continuous reading is a must for not only practitioners but also professors! Many professors simply repeat what they taught in their first year. In IITs and some NITs due to their involvement in  consultancy and research, they are able to infuse new information to their students.

Since the students want to use computers for everything (now a days, even babies live with iPads or smart phones) they do not know how to draw BM, SF or defln. diagrams. Unfortunately, too much reliance of computers is not good. One must know whether the results given by computers is correct or not.

Many Private Universities are interested in money only and simply give good marks to their students. They do not follow standard text books and follow the notes written or published by their own faculty, which may contain only previous exams questions and answers!

We studied 5 year course on Civil Engineering. Now it is only 4 years course, cutting out some practice oriented subjects like Drawings, Site exp., etc. In the same way we studied 2 years of M.E. now it is only 1.5 years and as mentioned by current students, they leave out Stability, Plates and Shells and other subjects which are mathematically involved!

Warm regards,
Subramanian

k.gangadharan wrote:
TO  E CONF@seindia.org (CONF@seindia.org)
to  the esteemed sefian community
In my opinion a good structural engineer must essentially possess worthwhile experience in construction practices, and a good knowledge of concrete technology and  sufficient  practical experience and knowledge  in design practice  vogue in everyday life in our country and design methods of concrete and steel.
A structural engineer who deals with concrete design should also possess thorough   knowledge of design codes applicable to concrete practice and also how this is applied in practice
I had the the opportunity of recruiting candidates and interviewing them in a consultancy , where  I work.
Many of the candidates do not know how to draw  bending moment and shear force diagram under various load combinations.  Many of them do not know  the initial setting time and final setting time of concrete. even Pg candidates did not correctly state modulus of elasticity of concrete and steel.
Many of them do not  know the difference between working stress method of design and limit state methods of design. Their fundamental knowledge  is far below standards.
A true  practical problem is entirely different from what they study  from text books in colleges.; It is mainly because the faculty members who teaches them the subjects do not have any practical design experience.
I went for post graduate studies  in structural engineering after  working undergoing 15 years of design experience & practice in PWD Design wing under the guidance of well qualified& Uk educated design post graduate engineers  possessing MIStruct E professional certification from  Institution of structural Engineers   London.   I had a good grasp of Bridge engineering and design codes both Indian  and british  codes & IRC . The faculty member who was teaching bridge engineering in PG studies was a PHd holder from Kharagpur IIT.Unfortunately he has no practical knowledge of bgidge  engineering or design experience. He used  to consult with me in the superstructure design and substructure design and foundation design of bridges and different types of bearings adopted for bridges, because he had  no practical experience in designing those components of bridges.
Even post graduates passing out  from  new institutions , do not know how to design a multistoreyed building using earthquake codes and wind codes.
Coming to actual design practices in structural design as pointed out by Er Prabhakar of Vasi , detailing is a very important part of structural design and many of the structural engineers do not know how to make good structural detailing of concrete and steel structures. It is very important part of our design work and what we design manually or using computer is translated into actual application  thru structural  detailing & good  structural drawings.  Special skill is necessary for this.  
I have worked with International consultants in Middle east countries for 20 years and their drawings contains every  perfect detail required for construction.
Structural engineering and civil engineering   today is not the one 50 years ago. One should update what  is  happening thru research in modern times . One should undergo  practical training and learn new things in design and concrete technology by lot of reading and attending seminars conducted by professional associations.
I also endorse many of the  points  posted in his mail by Er. Satyapal in his posting dated 13th feb.2016

regards
K. Gangadharan
Structural Consultant

Posted via Email
harisha
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: sub : structural engineering practice Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

As many of engineers pointed out about quality of education given by our institutes is very poor in terms of practical applicability, without a blink of my eyes I do agree with it. In my colleges days, I tried to study by comparing different text books rather going to class which paid me well, but I always felt small practical exposure at same time would have boosted my confidence level.

By keeping this in mind, I started my carrier with consultancy and after 5 years of experience I wanted to enter the teaching field where I put my effort to teach both practical and theoretical aspects of each topic.

When I faced the interview in one of best known colleges from Bangalore, I have been selected through all technical interviews, but I have been shocked to see the attitude of management and other professors in next round, they were resilient to consider any outside experience apart from teaching. Which rightly points out even institutes wants to utilize the candidate with theoretical background to reduce the salary or avoid any competency and teaches only theory which has been quotes in his old notes to students, which in turn produce engineers only with exam scores not with practical thinking.

When even well known colleges doesn't appreciate practical thinking at the beginning of each fellows carrier, how we can expect good quality graduates who can draw perfect BMD and SFD.

Thanks and Regards,
Harisha.

Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
Dear Er Gangadharan,

Unfortunately, the present day graduates think that they should also earn link IT Engineers and hence want to work in an office environment and do not want to go to sites.

In USA there is a system in which Practicing Engineers come to colleges and teach as Adjunct Professors. In India such a system is not there, though I found some IITs have some practicing engineers teaching subjects/giving guest lectures. They also have some foreign faculty working for short periods. Some Institutes send their students abroad for a few months. But such Institutes are rare. In USA they is a practice of Internship, which is not there in most of the Colleges in India.

There are too many codes in India. Civil Engineering Students opting for Design work  should at least read the following codes:
IS 875 (parts 1-5)
IS 456
IS 800
IS 13920

As you have rightly said continuous reading is a must for not only practitioners but also professors! Many professors simply repeat what they taught in their first year. In IITs and some NITs due to their involvement in  consultancy and research, they are able to infuse new information to their students.

Since the students want to use computers for everything (now a days, even babies live with iPads or smart phones) they do not know how to draw BM, SF or defln. diagrams. Unfortunately, too much reliance of computers is not good. One must know whether the results given by computers is correct or not.

Many Private Universities are interested in money only and simply give good marks to their students. They do not follow standard text books and follow the notes written or published by their own faculty, which may contain only previous exams questions and answers!

We studied 5 year course on Civil Engineering. Now it is only 4 years course, cutting out some practice oriented subjects like Drawings, Site exp., etc. In the same way we studied 2 years of M.E. now it is only 1.5 years and as mentioned by current students, they leave out Stability, Plates and Shells and other subjects which are mathematically involved!

Warm regards,
Subramanian

k.gangadharan wrote:
TO  E CONF@seindia.org (CONF@seindia.org)
to  the esteemed sefian community
In my opinion a good structural engineer must essentially possess worthwhile experience in construction practices, and a good knowledge of concrete technology and  sufficient  practical experience and knowledge  in design practice  vogue in everyday life in our country and design methods of concrete and steel.
A structural engineer who deals with concrete design should also possess thorough   knowledge of design codes applicable to concrete practice and also how this is applied in practice
I had the the opportunity of recruiting candidates and interviewing them in a consultancy , where  I work.
Many of the candidates do not know how to draw  bending moment and shear force diagram under various load combinations.  Many of them do not know  the initial setting time and final setting time of concrete. even Pg candidates did not correctly state modulus of elasticity of concrete and steel.
Many of them do not  know the difference between working stress method of design and limit state methods of design. Their fundamental knowledge  is far below standards.
A true  practical problem is entirely different from what they study  from text books in colleges.; It is mainly because the faculty members who teaches them the subjects do not have any practical design experience.
I went for post graduate studies  in structural engineering after  working undergoing 15 years of design experience & practice in PWD Design wing under the guidance of well qualified& Uk educated design post graduate engineers  possessing MIStruct E professional certification from  Institution of structural Engineers   London.   I had a good grasp of Bridge engineering and design codes both Indian  and british  codes & IRC . The faculty member who was teaching bridge engineering in PG studies was a PHd holder from Kharagpur IIT.Unfortunately he has no practical knowledge of bgidge  engineering or design experience. He used  to consult with me in the superstructure design and substructure design and foundation design of bridges and different types of bearings adopted for bridges, because he had  no practical experience in designing those components of bridges.
Even post graduates passing out  from  new institutions , do not know how to design a multistoreyed building using earthquake codes and wind codes.
Coming to actual design practices in structural design as pointed out by Er Prabhakar of Vasi , detailing is a very important part of structural design and many of the structural engineers do not know how to make good structural detailing of concrete and steel structures. It is very important part of our design work and what we design manually or using computer is translated into actual application  thru structural  detailing & good  structural drawings.  Special skill is necessary for this.  
I have worked with International consultants in Middle east countries for 20 years and their drawings contains every  perfect detail required for construction.
Structural engineering and civil engineering   today is not the one 50 years ago. One should update what  is  happening thru research in modern times . One should undergo  practical training and learn new things in design and concrete technology by lot of reading and attending seminars conducted by professional associations.
I also endorse many of the  points  posted in his mail by Er. Satyapal in his posting dated 13th feb.2016

regards
K. Gangadharan
Structural Consultant

Posted via Email
msghuraiya
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: sub : structural engineering practice Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Time duration is really problem, now a day many universities provided integrated course (B.Tech+M.Tech ) only in five years. This is very short time for understanding all subject specially structural engg.
Thanks & Regard
Mukesh Singh Ghuraiya On Feb 17, 2016 6:29 AM, "Dr. N. Subramanian" <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Dear Er Gangadharan,

There are too many codes in India. Civil Engineering Students opting for Design work should at least read the following codes:
IS 875 (parts 1-5)
IS 456
IS 800
IS 13920

As you have rightly said continuous reading is a must for not only practitioners but also professors! Many professors simply repeat what they taught in their first year. In IITs and some NITs due to their involvement in consultancy and research, they are able to infuse new information to their students.

Warm regards,
Subramanian

k.gangadharan wrote:                TO E CONF@seindia.org (CONF@seindia.org) (CONF@seindia.org (CONF@seindia.org))
to the esteemed sefian community
In my opinion a good structural engineer must essentially possess worthwhile experience in construction practices, and a good knowledge of concrete technology and sufficient practical experience and knowledge in design practice vogue in everyday life in our country and design methods of concrete and steel.
A structural engineer who deals with concrete design should also possess thorough knowledge of design codes applicable to concrete practice and also how this is applied in practice
I had the the opportunity of recruiting candidates and interviewing them in a consultancy , where I work.
Many of the candidates do not know how to draw bending moment and shear force diagram under various load combinations. Many of them do not know the initial setting time and final setting time of concrete. even Pg candidates did not correctly state modulus of elasticity of concrete and steel.
Many of them do not know the difference between working stress method of design and limit state methods of design. Their fundamental knowledge is far below standards.
A true practical problem is entirely different from what they study from text books in colleges.; It is mainly because the faculty members who teaches them the subjects do not have any practical design experience.
I went for post graduate studies in structural engineering after working undergoing 15 years of design experience & practice in PWD Design wing under the guidance of well qualified& Uk educated design post graduate engineers possessing MIStruct E professional certification from Institution of structural Engineers London. I had a good grasp of Bridge engineering and design codes both Indian and british codes & IRC . The faculty member who was teaching bridge engineering in PG studies was a PHd holder from Kharagpur IIT.Unfortunately he has no practical knowledge of bgidge engineering or design experience. He used to consult with me in the superstructure design and substructure design and foundation design of bridges and different types of bearings adopted for bridges, because he had no practical experience in designing those components of bridges.
Even post graduates passing out from new institutions , do not know how to design a multistoreyed building using earthquake codes and wind codes.
Coming to actual design practices in structural design as pointed out by Er Prabhakar of Vasi , detailing is a very important part of structural design and many of the structural engineers do not know how to make good structural detailing of concrete and steel structures. It is very important part of our design work and what we design manually or using computer is translated into actual application thru structural detailing & good structural drawings. Special skill is necessary for this.
I have worked with International consultants in Middle east countries for 20 years and their drawings contains every perfect detail required for construction.
Structural engineering and civil engineering today is not the one 50 years ago. One should update what is happening thru research in modern times . One should undergo practical training and learn new things in design and concrete technology by lot of reading and attending seminars conducted by professional associations.
I also endorse many of the points posted in his mail by Er. Satyapal in his posting dated 13th feb.2016

regards
K. Gangadharan
Structural Consultant

Posted via Email
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: sub : structural engineering practice Reply with quote

Dear All,

When I am of the opinion 4 years of B.E. Course should be changed to 5 years, to include practice oriented subjects/site visit, etc., It is surprising to note about these integrated course (B.Tech+M.Tech ) only in five years! Will Anyone please inform whether such courses are approved by AICTE and why?

Best wishes,
NS

msghuraiya wrote:
Dear Sir,
Time duration is really problem, now a day many universities provided integrated course (B.Tech+M.Tech ) only in five years. This is very short time for understanding all subject specially structural engg.
Thanks & Regard
Mukesh Singh

Posted via Email
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear NS Sir,
Even NITs are running such 5 year integrated M.Tech. courses :

http://www.nitrkl.ac.in/Academic/1Department/AcademicProgramme.aspx?wtweyrw2er=Mg%3d%3d-IDYlCflVCvk%3d

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Econference on State of Structural Engineering Practice and Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: