www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

[Future of Str. Engg] FUTURE OF STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Econference on State of Structural Engineering Practice and Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sknsrinivasan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All
  Good Morning to Everybody

In this E conference I would like to tell some thing. Now days The P.G candidate not showing interest in his subject because of his knowledge that much level only what Mr satyapaul mentioned exactly correct

one Design engineer Designed one shear wall. I asked him How you designed it as shear wall. He tolled by using aspect ratio ,Have referred any reference book  asked him. He Replied immediately why i have to refer. Please Refer the book How they have designed like that you can design I tolled. whether the book is approved one or not asked me. he designed it as a column but given detailing as shear wall. how I am telling this in boundary element he has given less than 0.8% steel then in wall portion horizontal bar dia less and vertical bar dia high This is happened

I dont know how many people know the minimum compression reinforcement while designing the section as doubly reinforced section If you ask this they will tell code not mentioned any where. if we provide less than minimum in compression zone what will happen ask that people. so peoples are not interesting to read books This is small example how engineering profession going on, I can tell lot. we cant blame the teaching profession. self interest should be there then only we will improve our knowledge     

Regards
N.Srinivasan
nnsivakumar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distinguished members of the forum,
I wish to add to Prof B.V.Rameshs' views as below:
1. Colleges need to offer more  electives from various divisions. This will allow students to be specific in their learning by choosing the subjects of their interest.
2. Offering " Integrated design" subject as a compulsory module. Industry experts can be involved in this subject which will enable the students to be involved in doing real life projects. This will be expensive for the college and hence they will be reluctant. Industry experts should take it as service oriented rather than business oriented.
3. Lecturers also loaded with many tasks besides teaching such as research, admin jobs, post graduate supervision, publication, consultancy, student affairs etc. etc.  There is no standard scale available to measure the work load of a lecturer which results in the overload. This is a cause for concern.
I also would like to get the opinion of the members on the following:
1. How to reduce the gap between teacher and a practicing engineer (theory and practice)? In spite of engaging the industry experts in the academic activities and site visits (as mentioned by all in the  earlier postings), I feel there is the gap.
2. How to make the students interested? Tough we do motivational talks,  site visits, expert talks, adjunct professor talks,it still lacking.
Thank you,
Sincerely,
Dr.Sivakumar
suraj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Experience Speaks Reply with quote

Experience Speaks
Though  it is too late, since I knew today only about this E Conference, I appreciate posting by Veteran Engineer Satyepaulji
He has earned extensive overseas experience, which is credible
I am fortunate to have discussed with him at length his attainment
He is a leader in profession
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Econference on State of Structural Engineering Practice and Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: