www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Why People do not prefer civil engineering field ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Speak Out Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsghai
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Why People do not prefer civil engineering field ? Reply with quote

Dear Reader and Members
It is with grievance I am posting this topic here in this forum but I am shocked to see the behaviors of some design consultancies and firms.I am right now talking about the packages of new or freshers engineering students.I am shocked to see some well established consultancies offering meager salaries and packages to the new freshers in the name of giving them training.
Few days back I came along this advertisement from a well established design consultancy in Delhi NCR.They have some requirements of steel designers and detailers.Qualifications were B.Tech for steel designers.What came to me as a surprise was their salaries and their retention policies.
I am attaching a snapshot.
Their package offered for a fresher is
1. Rs.12000/month(1.8 Lakhs/annum as CTC) for B.tech/B.E. candidates.
(Though they were offering growth aspects saying package will go to 5 LPA in 4 years)
Their retention policies were
a) At least 3 years of working required in the company.
b) Your original certificate would be required for 3 years.
c) 10% of your salary would be saved for each month and will be paid back 50% of the saved amount at every 6 month till total period of 3 years.
All balance of the saved amount can be withdrawn after 3 years of service.

I mean I am currently living in Delhi/NCR.Even a crappy accomodation on sharing basis will cost 8000 INR , plus one has to eat some food , plus one has to spend some traveling expenses for reaching office.

Why is this practice of hiring cheap engineers?

(I know maybe I can be blocked for this post, but let it be if this is annoying)

Untitled.png
 Description:
Snapshot of a vacancy
 Filesize:  135.97 KB
 Viewed:  673 Time(s)

Untitled.png

vegad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Member,

Please observe the replies to your post for past three months. The silence says something.

One person's problem can be other person's solution. And for this opportunity, there might be takers. In case you find any engineer working there, talk to her/him on the basis the choice was made.

It's good that somebody came up with the package, somebody has a clientele which requires this safety services. The fees and the default rates of fee is high and requirement of services is low.

I would rate this service provider better than those who avoid calculations, spend half day out of office and fill up the reinforcement schedules in the evening spare time, do not hire engineers, signs stability certificates without satisfying its validity process.

A fresher from a well to do family, passionate about the subject may definitely think of joining it, just for the sake of learning.

Your point is valid though, one cannot think of supporting oneself completely with such packages in an urban/ tier I cities, today.

Good day.
suraj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Better Leave Civil Engineering!!! Reply with quote

Better Leave Civil Engineering!!!
No scope of civil engineering in Engineering office remains
Better train for site works if at all required
Or else, do not go for civil engineering, since no real future exists
I tried my best to do consultancy in nineties, but failed for thee had been no requirement of Engineers, due to fact that every mason or lay man is an engineer
Engineers may survive on employments.
Engineers shall be valued only, when no civil engineering education exists
Abhishek_Singh
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why leave civil engineering?

I started 10 years ago with 6200/- pm! (probably equivalent to today's 12000 or say 15000?)

Today I make a six figure salary pm. Learnt a lot in the process of growing as an engineer.

I disagree with the rent for decent accomodation. I can show places in south delhi where a decent place on share basis is available in 5000.

Civil Engineering is a lesser paying field as an employee. But didnt we all know that beforehand, when our friends urged us to migrate to computer science etc? We stuck to it.

Advantages of Civil:

Last amongst the engineering disciplines to lose the job.
Demand always there. Less or more is a perspective. Good money will be made after good knowledge and experience is acquired. I can migrate to software any day but a software guy cannot come to civil!

Challenges:

Compared to a mistry. Thats fine. Atleast I have learned to live with it. Less pay during early days.

One thing has to be understood. In core fields, like civil, electrical, mechanical etc starting pay is low and will remain such because what you learn in college is not applicable (mostly) on field. Office trains you to be useful.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE:

Consultancies invest a lot in training you. Then they expect you to stick with them for a long time (I think its a fine thought). Then you leave the company after 1 year of joining to some small increment. So the consultancy which gave you a break in the field feels cheated. Hence a three year bond is there.

Consultancies have a slower money circulation because the cleints dont pay on time. Rarely any consultancy will fire an engineer because they value their training and investment on that particular engineer a lot.

Having a three year bond is absolutely justified!

bijoyav

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any civil engineering consultancy firm do not have any hesitation to give good salary to its employees, if they give returns to the employer.
But the problem is that, the employer gets very less amount as fees.
In India, a properly designed and property controlled execution at site is not considered as part of construction. Our people see design as a minimum requirement for getting sanctions.
Similarly Chartered Accountants are being used as to prepare false accounts to the Income Tax department. But they are to be used as financial advisors and pay proper taxes.
Architects are used for beautifying, whereas they are trained to plan in accordance with NBC.
Let this be changed. Let more people use our service. You will get good salary.
Only IT people get good salary because they are being used rightly by foreigners, similar to other professionals in their country.

Bijoy
manjusr1965
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Why People do not prefer civil engineering field ? Reply with quote

It's very difficult survive in the private sectors. Due to lack of projects and hefty competition. Demand is lesser than output.
Economy is not yet improved well.

Manjunath S RB.E. (Civil),M.Tech (Structures), M.C.E
54,1st Main, IDBI Layout, Gottigere,
B.G.Road,
Bangalore -560083
Ph: +919945712000

On 06-Apr-2016, at 7:36 PM, bijoyav <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Any civil engineering consultancy firm do not have any hesitation to give good salary to its employees, if they give returns to the employer.
In India, a properly designed and property controlled execution at site is not considered as part of construction. Our people see design as a minimum requirement for getting sanctions.
Similarly Chartered Accountants are being used as to prepare false accounts to the Income Tax department. But they are to be used as financial advisors and pay proper taxes.
Architects are used for beautifying, whereas they are trained to plan in accordance with NBC.
Only IT people get good salary because they are being used rightly by foreigners, similar to other professionals in their country.

Bijoy

Posted via Email
Hemalmodi
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Abhishek and it is understandable why a company requires a 3 year bond.

However, my pet peeve and the real reason for the low salaries has always been the lack of unity among the Civil engineering fraternity and charging ridiculously low fees while the government wouldn't approve an engineering bill that could potentially bring the responsibility and fame to the profession and this in turn will help us create safer infrastructure. Most lives are lost during a major earthquake in a built urban environment and not where there is low population density. But the "chalta hai" attitude will lead to loss of lives and accidents that could have been avoided while the best we can do at that point is claim it to be an "Act of God". An interior designer is paid significantly more than the structural engineer in India as the consumers are willing to pay for the aesthetics but are caught unaware of the safety and quality of construction.

Though most of the senior engineers have started with similar meager salaries it is sad to see this trend continue for generations and then hear the same folks complain about the lack of talent in the next generation who now have options to move to IT or get an MBA and leave the field of engineering. So the only few folks that survive are either the ones that are really passionate or the ones who couldn't pursue other options for various reasons. And we knew this when we choose civil engineering, so either you quit right away or preferably continue to grow your passion and hope that some day the government will grant enough authority to the Structural Engineer and the engineering fraternity will demand appropriate fees and help the country create a safe built environment.

Sincerely
Hemal Modi

Last edited by Hemalmodi on Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
shilpicon
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Why People do not prefer civil engineering field ? Reply with quote

Mr.Abhishek
I am very happy to hear you words. We all proud to be an civil engineers. Me too very proud because I started my carrier with Rs 500 per month  in 1990 now I am running a reputed construction  company. But I never treat my staff with less salary I treat them well because of them my company is running .Thanks once again briefing about civil engineer.
Regards
Gaddigaiah kurudimath  On 6 Apr 2016 17:35, "Kumar_Abhishek_Singh" <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
Why leave civil engineering?

I started 10 years ago with 6200/- pm! (probably equivalent to today's 12000 or say 15000?)

Today I make a six figure salary pm. Learnt a lot in the process of growing as an engineer.

I disagree with the rent for decent accomodation. I can show places in south delhi where a decent place on share basis is available in 5000.

Civil Engineering is a lesser paying field as an employee. But didnt we all know that beforehand, when our friends urged us to migrate to computer science etc? We stuck to it.

Advantages of Civil:

Last amongst the engineering disciplines to lose the job.
Demand always there. Less or more is a perspective. Good money will be made after good knowledge and experience is acquired. I can migrate to software any day but a software guy cannot come to civil!

Challenges:

Compared to a mistry. Thats fine. Atleast I have learned to live with it. Less pay during early days.

One thing has to be understood. In core fields, like civil, electrical, mechanical etc starting pay is low and will remain such because what you learn in college is not applicable (mostly) on field. Office trains you to be useful.

Thank you,
Kumar Abhishek Singh

Posted via Email
vasanthakumar
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Why People do not prefer civil engineering field ? Reply with quote

Dear sefians,

My experience
     It is true that even good structural company paying less salary to the employee so that interest is getting decreased among student even in IIT also. During my college days no core companies visited for placement only IT companies came to our college(Graduate in 2015).I also placed in TCS for a starting pay of 28,000/pm. Our civil strength is 145,100 students are placed in IT companies even topper of our civil. I faced so many problems in family because they are forced me to go for TCS(because of brand TATA) but I am not interested .Among 145 students currently 18 to 23(because they are not placed in IT) are in civil side. Currently working as design engineer for 3 times less salary than TCS. In my company i should do design,drafting,bill checking,site visit and also project management. In my office for one project one person only allotted .But this office is one of the good office and has good name. They are getting good amount from the client but they don't pay to employee and not increasing employee strength. This is current situation of fresher. If we get into argument they will send out because there are so many job less fresher available today. Only solution for this is we should have standard rules and regulations for structural fees like architect.

Best Regards,
Vasanthakumar s
svasanth70@gmail.com/09788421378
dipak_bhattacharya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Why People do not prefer civil engineering field ? Reply with quote

The profession  has become cheap/ valueless, because assignments are few and consultants are too many.

State Governments pay ridiculously low fees, progress of projects equally ridiculously slow and they link the fee with progress of constructions.How the organisation of a  consulting company will survive?

Payments to employees are shamelessly low and  irregular, resulting high rates of attritions and low qualities of outputs because big and multi-national companies are taking away all better engineers and drafting hands.How the profession will be competitive?

And then Completion Certificate cannot be issued by clients unless the job is complete.How the consulting Companies will apply to different tenders, because every client wants Completion Certificates of various past jobs.

One state Govt. could not finish an assignment of simple  construction of Rs.8 Crores of an Institutional Building even after 5 years.

Thanks. 

On 6 April 2016 at 19:36, bijoyav <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:

Bijoy

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Speak Out Box All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: