www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Need of Humor in Life of an Engineer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Speak Out Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abhy_vivek
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Need of Humor in Life of an Engineer Reply with quote

Life of an Engineer (Structural engineer, to be precise) is mostly occupied by the Mathematical formuale and Engineering fundamentals / phenomenons, complex technical papers, thick books etc. Within common men there often exist a confusion, . . always; they feel life of a Civil / Structural engineer is very dry and boring.

The autobiograhy cum a Novel on a life of a Civil Engineer written by author Mrs. Usha Tambe (wife of renowened Civil Engineer Shri. S. R. Tambe ji) tried to explore the various trends occuring in the mind of a Civil engineer in very lucid language.

In current time, we all understand and have accepted the fact that Civil Engineers are Reading Less (though they spend more time of social media like whats-app, facebook, Linked-In and a like forums, especially the young engineers).

Why do they do so ?

Besides these facts, about the need of mathematics and scientific fundamentals in the life of an engineer, one must understand and realise the importance of 'Humor' in the life. Many of us confuse between 'Humor' and 'time-pass'. Google and Webster define Humor as - "the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech".

In life of an engineer, rather a human, he can sustain stress (mental stress) of various types for some time. More the stress - more the strain (i.e. impact on social and personal life), humor acts as a 'fuse' or a 'vent' or a 'shock absorber' in the life of an engineer and help to sustain the stress arising out of professional / perosnal work for a long time. Humor also increases the happiness around the team and helps to maintain the work progress. Humor increaess the life of a person and energies him to be creative and do more and more useful works.

One caustion here in this area is 'Excess of anything is always harmful'; same applies to the Humor also. In 24 hrs of a day 5minutes of humor is like an oasis.

Hence every engieer should presereve Humaor in his/her life !

Reg
Vivek Abhyankar
Mumbai
Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted as all 4 cartoons cannot be shown.

Last edited by N. Prabhakar on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Vivek Abhyankar,

What you say on humour in the life of structural engineers is completely correct.

For structural engineers, the commitment to provide the society's needs with safety and economy makes them serious in their professional work. Engineers are largely associated with material sciences which are too dry a subject to laugh at, and very rarely engineers laugh at themselves because they are seriously engaged all the time.  Nevertheless, there are several instances of human behaviour in engineering field that provide humour, which become a good subject for making jokes or drawing cartoons.

I had the privilege of drawing cartoons over 200 nos. for The Indian Concrete Journal for a period of 19 years (1993-2012), thanks to the opportunity provided to me by their editors Mr. B.V.B. Pai and V.R. Kulkarni (later became ICI President).  In May 2003, Ambuja Cements published a collection of my ICJ cartoons (80 nos.) in a booklet form in their technical series, thanks to the interest shown by their VP Mr. C.M. Dordi.  I am sure many of SEFI members must have seen these cartoons. I am attaching below one of my cartoons to laugh at.

With best wishes,

N.Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208

VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Client is paying me in HONG KONG Dollars. Reply with quote

Dear  Sefi  Engrs.,
This is a real story in  my case. You all can take it as a joke. But this happened to me.  I was working on a very prestigious project " HONG KONG CONVENTION CENTER " in a Chicago office of  Skidmore Owings & Merrill with  a very well known Structural Engineer Mr. Srinivas Iyengar , a Structural Partner in SOM.  Some smart guy in the team on that project found out what was SOM Charging to Client for services of Mr. Iyengar. He told us SOM is charging $1500 /Hr. . In USA consulting fee at such senior level is around $200.0/Hr. Now I  am  a  simple guy, so next time when Mr. Iyengar stop  at my desk to know, how I  am doing  my part of the project,  I told him we have a good and generous client. He ask me why you say that? I said they are paying you $1500.0/Hr.  against  typically $200.0/hr in USA . He said get you math right.  Client is paying me  in HONG   KONG   DOLLARS. So this comes out to be less than what a U.S. client will pay me . He gave a big smile and left.

I think  world wide there should  one currency  US DOLLARS ,  so next time people like me do not get confused.     

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya P.E.
Structural Engineer

Last edited by VPandya on Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am attaching herewith five of my ICJ cartoons.

N. Prabhakar

Cartoon 6.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.62 KB
 Viewed:  752 Time(s)

Cartoon 6.gif

Cartoon 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.29 KB
 Viewed:  715 Time(s)

Cartoon 1.png

Cartoon-2.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.89 KB
 Viewed:  681 Time(s)

Cartoon-2.PNG

Cartoon-6.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.22 KB
 Viewed:  738 Time(s)

Cartoon-6.PNG

Cartoon-1.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.6 KB
 Viewed:  708 Time(s)

Cartoon-1.PNG

N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the poor response one sees for this posting, there seems to be no need of humour in the life of an Engineer.

N. Prabhakar
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: In USA this is 4th July ( Independependence Day) Long Week End. Reply with quote

Dear Er. N. Prabhakarji ,
In USA this is 4th July ( Independence  day) long Week End. We all are on vacation, so could not reply to your post earlier.  The best cartoon I like is about  PROOF CHECKER .  In  America  when a Structural Engineer working as Proof Checker on a complex Project Design and does not know what He is doing,  we say " This poor guy, Proof Checker is still trying to figure out  on this project  " WHICH   SIDE    IS   NORTH ."  All GFC,( Good For Construction), ( In US we call it Drawings Issued for Fabrication and Construction) drawings in USA are suppose to show North arrow on the drawings.  This guy ( Proof Checker ) working on the project for three months can not even guarantee if the GFC drawings are showing North arrow right.  Please  SEFI  Engrs, do not take this as a joke.         

Regards.  

Vasudeo  Pandya  P.E.  
Structural Engineer

Last edited by VPandya on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
mufti
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Humour Reply with quote

Dear Er. Prabhakar Sb.
No, I can assure you it is not like that. I enjoyed your cartoons thoroughly. In fact, I downloaded all five and put them in a folder with your name, for future reference and sharing with engineer friends.
I would definitely like to have more of the same.
Thank you!

Regards,
Mufti
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Pandyaji and Mufti Sb,

Thank you for your kind words on my cartoons.

Er. Pandyaji, I liked your jokes.  I was not seeking 'likes' of my cartoons from fellow Sefians , but expected few jokes from them under this posting, as you have done. Perhaps, they are too busy in their work.

Er. Mufti Sb, if you would like to see some more of my cartoons, please let me know your E-mail ID by writing to me (my E-mail ID: nrprabhakar@gmail.com) so that I can send the same to you.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208
abhy_vivek
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need of Humor in Life of an Engineer Reply with quote

Thank you very much Shri. N. Prabhakar sir and Pandya sir, for expressing your thoughts and experience on Humor. I have read the booklet on 'Cartoons' several times and congratulate you for the same. It depicts your vast experience and keen interest from each on the sketch in this booklet.

When we talk on Humor I can stop mentioning lectures of Shri. C. M. Dordi sir and (Late) Shri. A. P. Remedios and (Late) Shri Narendra Patel.
In normal Technical lectures the audience will have pain (headache) . . . even in the lectures by Dordi sir and Shri Remedios gave pain . . . but in stomache  

Many Cultures around the world tried to explore the 'Origin' of Humor'. Greeks said origin of Humor is behind happiness, europians stated humor is behind natural need, other nations stated reason behind humor is mismatch in the world. . . Indians explored that the core origin of 'Humor' is behind 'sorrow'.

One should explore happiness give outlet to 'sorrow' !

Reg
Vivek Abhyankar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Speak Out Box All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: