www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

IStructE (UK) CM exam preparation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abhio

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: IStructE (UK) CM exam preparation Reply with quote

Dear all,

I am preparing for the IStructE CM exam. Is there anyone online who would like to team up with me? We could check one another's answers, share resources, etc.

Regards,

Abhijeet Oundhakar
Abhishek_Singh
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets do this.

Abhishek
abhio

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please contact me directly on

oundhakar at gmail dot com
+91 932424 9270
+91 916777 0577

Regards,

Abhijeet Oundhakar
abhio

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Abhishekji,

I await your response.

Regards,

Abhijeet
er.mvv
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Dear Friend

Let me know the procedure to get the UK Istruct E. Is it possible to attend the exam from India.
abhio

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sir,

The Institution will make arrangements via the British High Commission.
s.bhushanraj
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Engineers,

I would like to know the procedure to apply for MIStructE. From the website, I understood that we need to be a Graduate member and apply for academic qualification assessment against requirements for Chartered Membership and Associate Membership. If eligible we need to complete IPD for few years and then appear for the 7-hour exam and interview. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please share how many years you have been graduate or associate member and how long you have been submitting the IPDs.

Regards,
Bhushan Raj
harsha_mehta_17
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Charted Engineer from UK. If anyone of you need any help regarding CM exam (UK) please contact me at the following email ID.

harsha_mehta_17@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Harsha
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

I would like to write here my experience in passing CM exam in January 1963.  I was then working as a Design Engineer with ECC (L&T), Mumbai, involved in the design of industrial type structures.  Then,  it was known as AMIStructE, the same title was changed later to MIStructE in May 1969. Earlier in June 1959 I became a Graduate member of the Institution by which I was qualified to appear for Sections A and B exams of AMIStructE.  Section A exam was for 3 hours on the topic of Design of Structural Elements.  After passing Section A, one could appear for Section B exam which is for 7 hours and now known as CM exam, on the topic of Structural Engineering Design Practice.  I passed Section A exam in July 1962, Section B exam in January 1963, and elected as a corporate member of the Institution on 27th June 1963  after submitting evidence of practical experience in structural engineering. Then, there was no PRI as it is now.

Before appearing for the Section B exam, I was advised by late Mr. B. T. Unwala of ACC Ltd. who was already a Member of the Institution, to answer all parts of the question in full and not leaving any of it.  This was a good advise for me in passing the Section B exam.  

Out of 5 questions in the Section B exam, I answered the question on a reinforced concrete open water tank of internal diameter 32 ft. and 18 ft. deep and is to be supported with its base 70 ft. above ground level.  The supporting structure is to consist of eight precast concrete legs and arranged radially in plan with a connecting ring beam at mid-height.  The tank and ring beam are to be of in-situ concrete.  The tower is to resist a wind of 70 mph, and the SBC of soil is to be 3 tons per sft. at a depth of 3 ft. 6 in.  Candidates were asked to submit:

a)     A design for the tank, its supporting structure and foundations.
b)     A general arrangement drawing in 1/8 in. to 1 ft. scale
c)     Drawing details to scale of ½ in to 1 ft. of the precast concrete legs and ring beam only, including arrangements for jointing.
d)     Bill items for the reinforcement  with an estimate of the quantities  of each size.
e)     Specification clauses for i) excavation, ii) concrete in precast elements, iii) Concrete surface treatment to the inside of the tank.
f)     Finally, brief comments on the method to be adopted for the erection and construction.

It was indeed a tough question to answer all in 7 hours, but I could do it because of the right experience I had in the design office and my ability to prepare good drawings. I passed the exam in my first attempt only, thanks to on the earlier advise given by late Mr. B.T. Unwala.  Only 23% of the candidates passed this exam that time globally.

I am attaching a Certificate issued by the President of the IStructE on 15th November 2013, in appreciation on completion of 50 years of my Membership of the Institution.

By being a MIStructE, it has helped me over the years in updating my knowledge through the Institution’s Journal, and in giving me lot of confidence and recognition in my profession as a Structural Engineer.  With this qualification, I was employed as a Structural Engineer in UK from 1964-77.

Trust that the above write-up about self will encourage many young Indian Structural Engineers to become members of this great institution, IStructE.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar, BE CEng(I) MIStructE (UK) MIE (Ind)
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208

<o> </o>

IStructE 50 Yrs Certificate.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  886.28 KB
 Viewed:  342 Time(s)

IStructE 50 Yrs Certificate.jpg

s.bhushanraj
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prabhakar Sir,

Thanks for writing your MIStructE experience Sir. It is really inspiring for young engineers like me who are aspiring to be recognized as Chartered Engineer. After reading this post, I am determined I will start my graduate membership application today and start preparing for the goal.

I think I have a lot of learning required in preparing general arrangement drawing by hand. Usually, in the road projects, I have seen engineers give a rough sketch to the draftsman along with the highway cross sections to prepare the drawing. To be frank, I have never made a true to scale drawing by hand. It would be great if you could share some tips regarding hand sketching.

P.S: I have also started my career in L&T Construction, Mumbai

Regards,
Bhushan Raj
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: