www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

What are some habits that are good to get into?

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Speak Out Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: What are some habits that are good to get into? Reply with quote

What are some habits that are good to get into?
Answered by Oliver Truong in Quora

• Don’t use your phone before going to bed or after waking up
  • Drink water as soon as you wake up (at least 500 ml)
  • Start on the hardest assignment first thing in the morning (This technique is called ‘Eat the frog’)
  • Read a couple of pages right before bed
  • Learn something new everyday that interests you
  • When talking to someone actively listen.
  • Make small talk with random people
  • Get excited when seeing your friends because then they will start doing the same (I get excited automatically)

Some additional things
1. Buy books regularly and read them
2. Do yoga regularly
3. Walk at least 30 minutes per day
4. Try to do meditation to calm your mind
5. Attend meetings organized by technical societies so that you can learn from other's mistakes. 100s pages or reading may be got by attending a 30 minute lecture!
Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: ALSO BECOMING MEMBER OF ACI , ASCE & AISC Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Subramanian ,

A Very good piece of advice  in your two posts .  I like to add one more in the list from my personal experience :Something similar to your  listed  item #5 :  
"
5. Attend meetings organized by technical societies so that you can learn from other's mistakes. 100s pages of reading may be got by attending a 30 minute lecture! "

As a new graduate Structural Engineer,  I was  working with a very Sr. Structural Engineer in this company in Chicago, USA . He insisted that we new structural engineers become member of three Tech. Societies : American Concrete Institute ( ACI ) , American Institute of  Steel Construction ( AISC ) and  American Society Of Civil Engineers ( ASCE ) . He would come and ask if we have read the latest  monthly issues from these tech. societies.  Out of three ACI , ASCE , AISC company will pay for only one membership fee . We have to pay from our own pocket for the other two. As a new graduate engineer our salaries were just bare minimum to survive in Chicago , USA .  I hate to admit this ,  but I become member of all three Tech. societies JUST TO  IMPRESS  MY  BOSS,  I did not think at that time I needed these memberships . Now I now know  how  valuable his advice was .

Regards .

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E.  
Structural Engineer
paresh_kothari
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sefian,
A lot of thanks to all senior engineer to share knowledge.
Sir, which structural engineering society should i join?
I am from mumbai.

Thanks.
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Institution Of Engineers India / Chartered Structural Engineer first. Reply with quote

Dear  Er. Kothari ,

Your first goal should be to become a member Of  INSTITUTION  OF ENGINEERS  INDIA and become  a    CHARTERED  STRUCTURAL  ENGINEER .  Some Sr. SEFI members  can help you with that .  

Second I recommend is ACI  ( AMERICAN  CONCRETE INSTITUTE ) membership . In India most of the work we do is in RCC ( Reinforced Concrete Construction) .  ACI Link :  

ACI  MEMBERSHIP :  Link :

https://www.concrete.org/membership/youngprofessionalmembership.aspx  

Regards.

Vasudeo  Pandya  P.E.  
Structural Engineer

Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ALSO BECOMING MEMBER OF ACI , ASCE & AISC Reply with quote

Dear Er Pandyaji,

Good to know that you had a supervisor at young age, who guided you properly, and also asked you to even read the papers in ACI, ASCE, and AISC. It is very tough for young engineers to read all the papers and understand them. Even I do not read all the papers!

Though I did not have such guidance,  Somehow, I became a Associate member of Institution of Engineers (India), and ASCE, as soon as I completed my M.E. and joined for my Ph.D. at IITM (in the year 1975).

As you have stated for Indians to subscribe for ACI, ASCE and AISC are very expensive. As you have rightly said, as RCC is more used in India, one can become a member of ACI, which itself is $230 per year.  I did not become a member of AISC as their codes can be freely downloaded and I used to refer their journals in IITM or SERC.

As Institution of Engineers is not very active in all the centers (it depends on the current Chairman and Secretary), I always suggest Civil Engineers in India to become members of ICI and ACCE(India) and subscribe ICJ, NBM&CW or MasterBuilder. Anyway the papers published in ASCE, ACI, or AISC are of different class compared to most of the papers published in Indian Journals! One has to note that ACI publishes 2 journals and Concrete International and ASCE more than 25 journals and Civil Engg. magazine!

Warm regards,
Subramanian

VPandya wrote:
Dear Dr. Subramanian ,

A Very good piece of advice  in your two posts .  I like to add one more in the list from my personal experience :Something similar to your  listed  item #5 :  
"

5. Attend meetings organized by technical societies so that you can learn from other's mamanianistakes. 100s pages of reading may be got by attending a 30 minute lecture! "
As a new graduate Structural Engineer,  I was  working with a very Sr. Structural Engineer in this company in Chicago, USA . He insisted that we new structural engineers become member of three Tech. Societies : American Concrete Institute ( ACI ) , American Institute of  Steel Construction ( AISC ) and  American Society Of Civil Engineers ( ASCE ) . He would come and ask if we have read the latest  monthly issues from these tech. societies.  Out of three ACI , ASCE , AISC company will pay for only one membership fee . We have to pay from our own pocket for the other two. As a new graduate engineer our salaries were just bare minimum to survive in Chicago , USA .  I hate to admit this ,  but I become member of all three Tech. societies JUST TO  IMPRESS  MY  BOSS,  I did not think at that time I needed these memberships . Now I now know  how  valuable his advice was .

Regards .

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E.  
Structural Engineer
paresh_kothari
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Subramanian sir and
Pandya sir for your valuable suggestion.

VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

Dear   Dr. Subramanian,  
Thanks  for detail explanation  of benefits of Tech. societies work and their importance in professional  life  of young/new  engineers .  As you have rightly  said,  I am very grateful to my Supervisor (Boss) for insisting on that I stay current in the our Structural Engineering field.

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E.
Structural Engineer
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Speak Out Box All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: