www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

PILE LATERAL MODULUS OF SUBGRADE REACTION

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skhalid

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: PILE LATERAL MODULUS OF SUBGRADE REACTION Reply with quote

Dear All,

While calculating modulus of subgrade reaction for piles (ks) as per section 16-15.1 of Bowles (page 935).

Equations 16-26a are suggested by bowles for calculating the ks.

Just before equation 16-26a (last paragraph) it is mentioned that equations are for "cohesionless soil".

Does anybody have idea , what about cohesive soils ??????

Regards
Khalid
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: In USA we ask a License GEOTECH ENGINEER to put all these values in a Soil Report . Reply with quote

Dear Er. Sri Khalidji ,
I have mostly worked in USA . In USA we have License Geotech . Engineer who give us all these parameters in a Project Soil Report . On any project ( say a 60 story HIgh Rise Building ) I  as a License Structural Engineer,   I give the Geotech Consultant final FOUNDATION  REACTIONS ( Final Vertical and Lateral Loads in two directions ) . He gives me in a Project SOIL REPORT :
a) TYPE OF FOUNDATION ( RAFT , PILES , CAISSONS ).
b) Design Values of Allowable Bearing Pressures for Raft , Vertical and lateral Soil Springs for Raft Analysis .
c) PILE CAPACITIES both Vertical and Lateral for my Soil Structure Interaction Analysis     .
Note : It has been years since I look at a  SOIL BORING LOG .  That is Geotech . Consultant job .  Some times we ask LICENSE GEOTECH. CONSULTANT  on the Project to Sign and Seal all final Foundation Drawings ISSED FOR  CONSTRUCTION , along with Sign and Seal of the Project Licensed Structural Engineer .
In USA we follow a perfect DIVISION OF LABOR between Geotech. Consultant and Project Structural Engineer .

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya P.E.
Structural Engineer  
skhalid

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pandya Sir for your reply.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: PILE LATERAL MODULUS OF SUBGRADE REACTION Reply with quote

skhalid wrote:
Dear All,

While calculating modulus of subgrade reaction for piles (ks) as per section 16-15.1 of Bowles (page 935).

Equations 16-26a are suggested by bowles for calculating the ks.

Just before equation 16-26a (last paragraph) it is mentioned that equations are for "cohesionless soil".

Does anybody have idea , what about cohesive soils ??????

Regards
Khalid

IS 2911 (Part 1/Sec 2) : 2010 (page-14, Table-4)  gives values of modulus of subgrade reaction for  pile in cohesive soils, correlated to the range of values of Unconfined Compressive Strength of the soil.

E S Jayakumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: