www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Design for Vertical Earthquake Effects as per IS 1893 Part1: 2016

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aditya

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Design for Vertical Earthquake Effects as per IS 1893 Part1: 2016 Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,
I need to carrry out seismic analysis and design of a multi-storeyed building in Zone V. As per clause 6.3.3.1 of IS 1893: Part 1-2016, we need to consider vertical earthquake effects. I need clarifications on the following points regarding the application of clause:
1.  Design vertical seismic coefficient=(2/3)x design horizontal seismic coefficient. Now shall we calculate base shear=design vertical seismic coefficient x seismic weight?
2. base shear calculated in point 1 above shall be applied in +/- vertical direction (i.e. down and up?)?
3. How shall we carry out storey-wise distribution of this "vertical?"base shear?
4. What will be the point of application of storey-wise vertical seismic forces? Centre of mass of each storey?
5. Shall we consider separate load cases EQz+ and EQz-?
6. Load combinations shall be as per clause 6.3.4.1?
Can somebody help in this regard with example?
with best regards,
Aditya
u.mukesh
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Design for Vertical Earthquake Effects as per IS 1893 Part1: 2016 Reply with quote

Hello dear

Vertical earthquake will increase (when downward) the moments in beams;
and all these reactions from beams (at diff floors) will increase the axial force in columns.

You should make proper combinations and you will get the forces.
There is no logic of vertical base shear..........

as vertical loads will create additional axial forces in columns and foundations.

Regards

Mukesh Upadhyay

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 10:03 PM, aditya <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Dear Sefians,
I need to carrry out seismic analysis and design of a multi-storeyed building in Zone V. As per clause 6.3.3.1 of IS 1893: Part 1-2016, we need to consider vertical earthquake effects. I need clarifications on the following points regarding the application of clause:
1. Design vertical seismic coefficient=(2/3)x design horizontal seismic coefficient. Now shall we calculate base shear=design vertical seismic coefficient x seismic weight?
2. base shear calculated in point 1 above shall be applied in +/- vertical direction (i.e. down and up?)?
3. How shall we carry out storey-wise distribution of this "vertical?"base shear?
4. What will be the point of application of storey-wise vertical seismic forces? Centre of mass of each storey?
5. Shall we consider separate load cases EQz+ and EQz-?
6. Load combinations shall be as per clause 6.3.4.1?
Can somebody help in this regard with example?
with best regards,
Aditya

Posted via Email
aditya

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Mukesh Upadhyay Sir,
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I am looking after how to calculate the earthquake forces to simulate the effect of vertical seismic forces in a building and how to apply it as per codal provisions. It would be great if somebody would suggest on how to model it in seismic coefficient method through Staad.pro/SAP2000/ETABS software or even through manual calculation.
with best regards and thanks,
Aditya
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: