www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Top and bottom reinforcement in isolated footing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logeshcivil
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Design of bi axially loaded isolated footing Reply with quote

Hello sefians

i have a huge problem while deigning an isolate footing.I received the horizontal and vertical reactions for a PEB structure which is resting on a RCC column. I have a formed a 2D frame of the structure for calculating the reactions and moments at the bottom node.

The reactions are
x = 0
y = 484 kN
z = -501 kN

The moment are

x= 0
y = 3257 kNm
z = 26.59 kNm

Here in this the moment is predominant and so the minimum bearing pressure is negative. So please help me in solving the problem

Thank You in advance

sakumar79

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
    When you have large horizontal force at base of PEB structure, you can consider a plinth beam along the force direction and two stub columns at either end with a pedestal for the PEB stanchion at the centre. This will make it into a Portal structure. The moment will cause an uplift to one column and downward force in the other but the force will reduce as you increase the distance between the two columns.

Yours sincerely
S Arunkumar
logeshcivil
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Design of bi axially loaded isolated footing Reply with quote

Dear Arun Kumar,
Thank you for your suggestion.

If i were to do as your suggestion I have to provide plinth beam along the direction of horizontal force which is 50 m, which i think is not economical.Is there any other solution.

I hove also few more doubts.

1. How do i calculate loss of contact area if minimum bearing pressure is negative and also eccentricity is outside the footing.
  2. Can i omit negative bearing pressure and proceed the calculation with positive bearing pressure only.If not , then please suggest me a solution.

I have attached a picture for you reference.
Thanks in advance

sakumar79 wrote:
Dear Sir,
    When you have large horizontal force at base of PEB structure, you can consider a plinth beam along the force direction and two stub columns at either end with a pedestal for the PEB stanchion at the centre. This will make it into a Portal structure. The moment will cause an uplift to one column and downward force in the other but the force will reduce as you increase the distance between the two columns.

Yours sincerely
S Arunkumar

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.91 KB
 Viewed:  245 Time(s)

1.jpg

sakumar79

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Logesh,
   I think you misunderstand me. I am not talking about a 50 m long Plinth Beam. I am talking about a Plinth Beam may be 3 to 5 m long depending on your forces (half inside and half outside the building). This will be somewhat similar to a Two Pile Pilecap system.

Hope that helps,
Arunkumar
Jayant Lakhlani
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Top and bottom reinforcement in isolated footing Reply with quote

Dear Logesh

There seems to be something wrong with magnitude of Y moment, i.e. 3257 kN-m. Suggest to review the analysis.

Regards.

Jayant Lakhlani
For
Lakhlani Associates

Sent: 10 August 2018 16:41
To: general@sefindia.org
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Top and bottom reinforcement in isolated footing

Hello sefians

i have a huge problem while deigning an isolate footing.I received the horizontal and vertical reactions for a PEB structure which is resting on a RCC column. I have a formed a 2D frame of the structure for calculating the reactions and moments at the bottom node.

The reactions are
x = 0
y = 484 kN
z = -501 kN

The moment are

x= 0
y = 3257 kNm
z = 26.59 kNm

Here in this the moment is predominant and so the minimum bearing pressure is negative. So please help me in solving the problem

Thank You in advance

Yours
Logesh

Posted via Email

~WRD000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  823 Bytes
 Viewed:  248 Time(s)

~WRD000.jpg

snsdec
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Top and bottom reinforcement in isolated footing Reply with quote

Dear logesh,

Pl check moment y I think something wrong in analysis

Thanks

On Sat 11 Aug, 2018, 1:14 PM Jayant Lakhlani, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Logesh

There seems to be something wrong with magnitude of Y moment, i.e. 3257 kN-m. Suggest to review the analysis.

Regards.

Jayant Lakhlani
For
Lakhlani Associates

From: logeshcivil [mailto:forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)]
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)

Hello sefians

The reactions are
x = 0
y = 484 kN
z = -501 kN

The moment are

x= 0
y = 3257 kNm
z = 26.59 kNm

Thank You in advance

Yours
Logesh

Download Attachments:
~WRD000.jpg

Posted via Email
perumal12379
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Top and bottom reinforcement in isolated footing Reply with quote

While designing the single frame, if you are using staad then analysis in plane not in space.

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Jayant Lakhlani <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Dear Logesh

Regards.

Jayant Lakhlani
For
Lakhlani Associates

Hello sefians

The reactions are
x = 0
y = 484 kN
z = -501 kN

The moment are

x= 0
y = 3257 kNm
z = 26.59 kNm

Thank You in advance

Yours
Logesh

Download Attachments:
~WRD000.jpg

Posted via Email
nimal ranasinghe
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

Unless the column is fully cantilevered and having a eccentric crane girder fixed with a heavy pay load this moment is unrealistic. Kindly check your 2D model and assumptions for the connectivity and cross check with a manual calculation with simple distribution coefficients

Nimal

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 11, 2018, at 1:13 PM, Jayant Lakhlani <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Logesh

Regards.

Jayant Lakhlani
For
Lakhlani Associates

Hello sefians

The reactions are
x = 0
y = 484 kN
z = -501 kN

The moment are

x= 0
y = 3257 kNm
z = 26.59 kNm

Thank You in advance

Yours
Logesh

Download Attachments:
~WRD000.jpg

Posted via Email
Solanki Dimpesh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

Hello sir, As PEB are long free span frame structure. The moment at bottom of the column will be very much because of lateral load and high eave height. This is the reason why designer use pin connection instead of fixed connection, which reduce the foundation size. My suggestion would be to use pin support.

Then design the base plate and column pedestal using reactions. The isolated foundation will then have moment because of Fx & Fz and different in level.

Regards - 
Dimpesh Solanki
+91 9987443194
Techniqes, Mumbai.

On Sat 11 Aug, 2018, 1:16 PM Jayant Lakhlani, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Logesh

Regards.

Jayant Lakhlani
For
Lakhlani Associates

Hello sefians

The reactions are
x = 0
y = 484 kN
z = -501 kN

The moment are

x= 0
y = 3257 kNm
z = 26.59 kNm

Thank You in advance

Yours
Logesh

Download Attachments:
~WRD000.jpg

Posted via Email
devendrarathi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

Please share the staad file so that we can identify if there is any mistake n staad 

On Sat 11 Aug, 2018, 13:15 Jayant Lakhlani, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Logesh

Regards.

Jayant Lakhlani
For
Lakhlani Associates

Hello sefians

The reactions are
x = 0
y = 484 kN
z = -501 kN

The moment are

x= 0
y = 3257 kNm
z = 26.59 kNm

Thank You in advance

Yours
Logesh

Download Attachments:
~WRD000.jpg

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: