www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

How to calculate Temperature load for steel structures.

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrARS
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: How to calculate Temperature load for steel structures. Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,
The below values related to temperature load from my project specification, i cant understand this. anyone please explain me about this and what value to be given in staad pro... please help me as soon as possible.

DESIGN TEMPERATURE VARIATION
The temperature load will be assessed based on the recommendations of BS EN 1991-1-5:2003 Actions on structures Part 1-5: General actions Thermal actions. The design temperature range will be defined as the difference between the highest and the lowest one day mean temperature, plus the temperature of the steel due to solar gain. The following parameters have been used:
Tmin = 14C
Tmax = 41C
Tsolar = 20C
Tin = 20C
Tout = Tmax + Tsolar = 61C
ΔT = Tout Tmin = 47C

The difference between the highest and lowest one day mean temperatures is 27C.
The temperature range due to solar gain is 20C.
Therefore, the total temperature range under consideration for structural steelwork = 47C
Note that the temperature variation is only significant during construction, and temporary stresses may be relieved by sliding joints. Once insulation has been installed, the structural temperature variation will be significantly reduced.

Arun S
amol_acharya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SEFIan,

Please see attached the proposed methods of calcualting the temp. defferential.
I hope this will solve your problem. Unfortunately not much of data is available in this matter. I suggest that all fellow SEFIan should contribute this this matter to come up with a correct solution...

How to Calculate DT ?

Method-1:

Max. Summer Temp. = 40 C

Least Winter Temp. = 12 C

Temp. Deferential DT = (40 12)/2 = 28 =  14 C          (+/-)

Method-2:

Max. Summer Temp. = 40 C

Mean Temp. = 27 C at the Time of concreting

Temp. Deferential DT+  = 40 27 = 13 C          (+)

Temp. Deferential DT-   = 27 12 = 15 C           (-)

Method-3: As per the attachment is as per the National Academy of sciences USA, which needs to be studied further.

Regards

Amol Acharya

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
Temperature Analysis.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Temperature Analysis.pdf
 Filesize:  407.14 KB
 Downloaded:  580 Time(s)

nitin_chandavar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Temperature load calculation Reply with quote

could you please give the reference for Method-3 ( National Academy of science publication reference.)

amol_acharya wrote:
Dear SEFIan,

Please see attached the proposed methods of calcualting the temp. defferential.
I hope this will solve your problem. Unfortunately not much of data is available in this matter. I suggest that all fellow SEFIan should contribute this this matter to come up with a correct solution...

How to Calculate DT ?

Method-1:

Max. Summer Temp. = 40 C

Temp. Deferential DT = (40 12)/2 = 28 =  14 C          (+/-)

Method-2:

Max. Summer Temp. = 40 C

Mean Temp. = 27 C at the Time of concreting

Temp. Deferential DT+  = 40 27 = 13 C          (+)

Temp. Deferential DT-   = 27 12 = 15 C           (-)

Method-3: As per the attachment is as per the National Academy of sciences USA, which needs to be studied further.

Regards

Amol Acharya
karthick_ce
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: How to calculate Temperature load for steel structures. Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,
Please refer EN 1991-1-4 for detail procedure to calculate the temperature difference load.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: