www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

STAAD.PRO FOR BIGINNERS.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P.K.Mallick
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: STAAD.PRO FOR BIGINNERS. Reply with quote

Few years back, through this forum,I requested experts to teach Staad.pro to novice like me. Responses were many. But those were not for novice. Hence,I opened the topic once again with a title, "STAAD.PRO FOR BIGINNERS". Let us see the response!

Question-1: When I assign the self-weight ,is it restricted only to beams and columns ? If plates have been defined with thickness, whether self-weight of those plates are automatically calculated ?

es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mallick sir,
Happy to see you back & active in SEFI. To assign self weight to Beam / Column elements, and Plate elements, you should select them separately using the pertinent cursor, and then assign the self weight using "Assign to selected Beams / Plates" radio button. You can also remove the self weight partly from these elements by first selecting the elements, ticking "Toggle Load" box and applying the same radio button.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
sakumar79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Mallick,
    Good to see you back in SEFI group. Yes, if you assign material properties to the plates and then assign SELFWEIGHT command to all (without list), the weight of the plates will also be considered.

A simple check is to do a small model first without plates and then with plates and see the total reaction under only selfweight.

Please raise questions like these and we will try to answer... But I think it will be difficult for any fellow Sefian to put in time to compile on a beginners guide...

Yours sincerely
Arunkumar
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Assign to View" command will take care of the self weight of beams, plates and other elements in one go.

E S Jayakumar
P.K.Mallick
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

es_jayakumar wrote:
"Assign to View" command will take care of the self weight of beams, plates and other elements in one go.

E S Jayakumar

"-Assign to view- shall only take self-weight of Beams and columns. It will not consider self weight of plate even if plate thickness is defined."

This is what told by an young boy who is teaching me Staad.pro at training center.

May be ,I have to try out method suggested by Mr.Arun Kumar.

Thanks.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely wrong, as per my observation.... Just now I checked an example of a rectangular slab mounted on 4 columns located at its corners. Self weight considered was examined via support reactions. "Assign to View" command, justifying its literary meaning, will count all the structural elements displayed on the screen, for adding self weight.

E S Jayakumar
PushkarKokane
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why apply Joint weight and member weight in sesmic design when self Weight is provided?
How to calculate member weight?

which member should provide?
sakumar79

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
     Your question is not clear, but let me explain based on what I understood.

1. Earthquake Loads in STAAD are based on Seismic Weight input which is to be given as DL + % of LL.

2. DL includes Selfweight, weights of slabs, walls, etc, floor finishes, etc.

3. LL is defined based on IS 875 Part 2 for different rooms, etc.

4. Hence, to define Seismic Weight, you need to include all the load details including Selfweight, other Dead Loads and partial quantity of live load.

5. Originally, this was done in STAAD by using JOINT WEIGHT and MEMBER WEIGHT commands. This is still possible but is not ideal method since it is tedious and a repetition of loads defined for dead load and live load.

6. The better method is to use Reference Loads to define your loads. Set Reference Load R1 to include Selfweight and other dead loads. Set R2 for Live Loads <3> 3 kN/sqm. Set R4 for Roof Live Loads. After that, you can have your earthquake seismic weight calculated by STAAD using full amount of R1, 25% of R2 and 50% of R3.

Hope that helps
Arunkumar
P.K.Mallick
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please explain "AREA LOAD" in Staad and its use.
P.K.Mallick
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.K.Mallick wrote:
Please explain "AREA LOAD" in Staad and its use.

With trial and error,I found out that "AREA LOAD" is for one way distribution. This load acts ,after analysis,on the two longest members in each panel.

Staad gives warning stating that the "AREA LOAD" command should be replaced by the one way load command because the one way load command uses a more sophisticated procedure that can handle non-parallel members and members that vary widely on length.

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: