www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

HOW TO DESIGN WATER TANK IN STAAD PRO

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uct
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: HOW TO DESIGN WATER TANK IN STAAD PRO Reply with quote

HI DEAR USERS,
I HAVE ANALYSED CIRCLER WATER TANK IN STAAD PRO. I DEFINED TANK WALL AS A PLATE MEMBERS.I WANT TO DESIGN THE WALLS FOR MOMENTS AND SHEAR FORCES...I DONT KNOW WHICH PARAMETERS TO USE FOR DESIGN....EXAMPLE Mx,My,Mxy (local) OR GLOBAL MOMENT, SX,SY,SQX,SQY....PLEASE LET ME TO SELECT WHICH PARAMETERS I NEED TO DESIGN TANK FOR REINFORCEMENT AND TRANSVERS BAR...?
ALSO DONT KNOW HOW TO APPLY EARTHQUAKE FORCES...PLEASE NEED URGENT HELPS
THANK YOU...
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Use STAAD/PRO Example- 10 (Tank), US Example to start Pate Elent Design Reply with quote

Dear Er. Uct ,
To start,  do these  two :
1) Attached PDF file showing how the Plate  & Shell element forces are read, using Plate Theory.  Please go thru all 21 pages and understand fully. I copied this from a previous SEFI Post.
2) EXAMPLE--10 (Tank)  of STAAD/PRO which is part of 29 solved examples which  comes with STAAD/PRO software to illustrate how to use STAAD?PRO . Example --10 ( Tank) has Analysis , Design of  Concrete Plate  Element Design . I have this example in Kip-Ft. units and with ACI code.

Regards .

Vasudeo Pandya P.E.
Structural Engineer

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
EXAMP10.zip
 Description:
Example --10 ( Tank ) Concrete Plate Element Design .

Download
 Filename:  EXAMP10.zip
 Filesize:  1.59 KB
 Downloaded:  704 Time(s)

Use online scanners
plate_results_and_design_forces.pdf
 Description:
PLATE STRESSES and Design Forces . Copied from SEFI post .

Download
 Filename:  plate_results_and_design_forces.pdf
 Filesize:  564.05 KB
 Downloaded:  6881 Time(s)

sakumar79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
    Please note that in circular tank, axial hoop stress will be predominant compared to bending stress. Please check if this is considered by staad or not. You can make use of the tables in IS3370 to calculate the forces and moments in the tank.

Yours sincerely
S Arunkumar
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The below given link has discussion on the analysis of circular tanks using STAAD and arriving at the critical design stresses:

http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16484

E S Jayakumar
Swaran
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the load combinations to be considered while designing roof top rcc water tanks?
Swaran
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the load combinations to be considered in designing a RCC water tank capacity 50KL which is resting its base slab on the base of roof slab.Whether it is neccesary to proceed with RCC side wall or will brick masonry can sustain loads?
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you supporting the water tank directly on the roof slab ? That will in total exert 50MT (50kL) load on the slab. Is the roof slab designed for the same ? Further, leakage of the slab is also possible, if not waterproofed properly. The usual practice is to raise the columns and provide the roof top tank slightly elevated from the roof slab. For small size tanks of shallow depth, it may be possible to provide brick masonry side walls, properly waterproofed. The side walls may in that case be checked for stresses, especially tensile stress, which the masonry is weak in. You may please post a detailed sketch of the arrangement of the tank, for the sake of clarity.

E S Jayakumar
abhio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sakumar79 wrote:

Please note that in circular tank, axial hoop stress will be predominant compared to bending stress. Please check if this is considered by staad or not.

Dear Arun Kumar Sir,

Provided that the modelling, boundary conditions and loading are correctly applied, any FE code ought to give reasonable values for the forces in the structure. Hence, hoop forces ought to be seen to dominate in a circular tank modelled properly in STAAD.

Regards,

A S Oundhakar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: