www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Structure stability calculations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonmichel
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Structure stability calculations Reply with quote

Dear Engineers,

I am a civil engineer with a little experience, I have been asked by an architect to check if a building is stable or not. How can I check this?

I am not asked for detailed design or calculations, I have been asked just to check if the building is stable or not with very simple calculations, the building is a bit complex like the pictures shown.

Thank you all in advance,

Anton

VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Use 'GUIDE LINES FOR PROOF CHECKING FROM IAStructE. Reply with quote

Er.  antonmichel,

When Checking a Structure , Stability or any thing else in  a  Structure
the only thing we do in our profession is :   PROOF  CHECKING  OF  BUILDING  DESIGN AND GFC DRAWINGS BASED ON THIS ATTACHED DOCUMENT  'GUIDE LINES FOR PROOF  CHECKING  FROM  IAStructE.  
In my opinion if you are a new Structural Engineer, you have to  work on this project of Proof- Checking with some very experience Structural Engineer . It is quite possible that your Architect may not know about this document and its requirements .

Note : I do not have the complete document , so get the full copy of this attached document

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E.
Structural Engineer

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
IAStrcutE_Proof Checking.pdf
 Description:
Proof-Checking Guide Lines from Indian Association Of Structural Engineers IAStructE.

Download
 Filename:  IAStrcutE_Proof Checking.pdf
 Filesize:  461.02 KB
 Downloaded:  615 Time(s)

antonmichel
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding,

Unfortunately, I don't have experienced engineer support, I just want to make a simple report with simple calculations for the architect, deciding if the building he designed is stable or not ? can constructed ? can you please tell me how to do this ? Shall i use softwars like SAP ?

thank you
rojanmathewtsy
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Structure stability calculations Reply with quote

antonmichel wrote:
Dear Engineers,

I am a civil engineer with a little experience, I have been asked by an architect to check if a building is stable or not. How can I check this?

I am not asked for detailed design or calculations, I have been asked just to check if the building is stable or not with very simple calculations, the building is a bit complex like the pictures shown.

Anton

Dear Anton,

It is basically meant to make a possible structural layout of the building. You have to make a drawing( we call it structural keyplan)with columns and beams required as per your engineering judgement. Making such layout will give you an insight regarding the stability of the building.
Suppose, as per the architect requirement there is a 10 m cantilever beam, obliviously it is not stable. So you may need to introduce something else to make it stable.

Rojan
akos
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Structure stability calculations Reply with quote

Hi,
May be he asked for checking the lateral stability of building. If the structure is not moment restrained provide proper horizontal and lateral bracing system against wind and EQ.
antonmichel
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Structure stability calculations Reply with quote

rojanmathewtsy wrote:
antonmichel wrote:
Dear Engineers,

Anton

Dear Anton,

It is basically meant to make a possible structural layout of the building. You have to make a drawing( we call it structural keyplan)with columns and beams required as per your engineering judgement. Making such layout will give you an insight regarding the stability of the building.
Suppose, as per the architect requirement there is a 10 m cantilever beam, obliviously it is not stable. So you may need to introduce something else to make it stable.

Rojan

Thank you for your reply!, I think I can do this step,i can calculate the load, shear... etc. but then how can I decide if I can design a structure that can bear this load. For example, after analysis of a specific beam, how can I decide if I can design a beam from steel or concrete to bear this shear or bending load? or that it is impossible for the beam to bear this load?.
antonmichel
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Structure stability calculations Reply with quote

akos wrote:
Hi,
May be he asked for checking the lateral stability of building. If the structure is not moment restrained provide proper horizontal and lateral bracing system against wind and EQ.

I will check this, of course, this is most critical for the design of foundations right? and do you know any guideline of how to do this exactly?

thank you
mjnasar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Eng.

May be Following steps will help you for checking building ( basics )

1) Check the columns & beams are spaced properly
   ( too long and too small span / spacing required fine degree of analysis and design
      requirements )

2) Slab depth check --> span / 20 to 28 ( ACI318-14 -- CH-7.3.1.1 )

3) Beam depth Check --> Span/16 to 21 ( ACI318-14 -- CH-9.3.1.1 )

4) Column Sizing = tributary area / 400 = column area
  ( assuming 15kn/m2 load , fc=30 fy=420n/mm2 and 1% steel )

5) Footing size = ( tributary area of columnTa * 15 / Bearing capacity )
   Bearing pressure  = load * 1.1 / B*D
   Moment in footing = BP * b*d/2
   Footing thickness = sqrt (M/0.85fc )
   can be minimum depth = Sqrt (300Ta/b)

6)Stability against wind =
  surface exposed to wind * 1.0 wind pressure = lateral force
  Stability = Building weight / lateral force > 2

7) Earthquake = CV*I*W / RT = for simplification = 0.5*1*Building weight / 6 * 0.4
   Stability = Building weight / Earth quake > 2

Regards
Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Freshers' Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: