www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

static or dynamic analysis as per IS.1893

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carobra
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: static or dynamic analysis as per IS.1893 Reply with quote

Dear All,
I am making base shear calculations of small buildings in masonry, for 3 classroom building 1 storey high with pitched roof, and houses up to 2.5 storey high with attic. To be built in Himalayan seismic zones IV and V.

When following IS.1893 (2016), the most important question is which method to use: Equivalent Static, or Dynamic?
On page 14 it says:
Equivalent Static Method can be considered for structures with approximate Natural Period Ta less than 0.4 s. Which is my case.

However, on page 21 it is stated that this method is applied for regular buildings with height less than 15 m in seismic zone II.
Which is repeated at page 23 that explains that Dynamic Analysis applies for all other buildings.

So my question is:
My 1 storey schools and 2.5 storey houses (max 6 meters height) with Natural Period Ta that is less than 0.4, but built in zones IV and V:
Are we allowed to use static method, or must we use dynamic method here??

How to interpret these rules: Must I comply to just one (Natural period less than 0.4), or both (less than 15m in zone II).
Your insights are appreciated, thanks in advance!
md zeeshan ali
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: worst should be considered! Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
I want to drag your attention to one thing, that static  EQ analysis is completely based on the regular building Assumptions and fir upto 0.4s of Time Periods and so on. You can go through the assumption taken in those derivation of those empirical formulae.
                  As soon as any of those assumption got violated, you have to go for the dynamic analysis. As your case may  be. hope it will help you.

PS: For more clarity on this issue please go through the assumption taken for Equivalent Static Earthquake Analysis.

with Kind Regards
Md Zeeshan Ali
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: