www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

REGARDING GABLE ROOF SLAB DESIGN

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Er.A.K.Gupta
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: REGARDING GABLE ROOF SLAB DESIGN Reply with quote

Respected seniors please help me .

I have to design a gabled rcc roof slab of span 4m on column frame structure.

Please guide me /provide me guide lines /steps for the same .Any book for refrence.

I will be very grateful to you.

Thanking you.

Yours

Er.A.K.Gupta

AMIE(CIVIL)

Bollywood news, movie reviews, film trailers and more! Click here.

Posted via Email
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAN PL.BE SPECIFIC OF THE SLAB OR CAN YOU SEND THE DRWING IN pdf FORMAT?

STRUCTURAL DESIGN OF MULTISTORIED BUILDING BY U.H.VARYANI IS ONE OF THE BOOKS YOU CAN REFER.

Send the slab details-slope etc so that many seniors can offer good solution.

T.Rangarajan.
ibarua
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: REGARDING GABLE ROOF SLAB DESIGN Reply with quote

26th April 2009

Formulae for the design of gable end frames are given in 'Steel Designers' Manual' published by CONSTRADO.

If you are talking about only the sloping slab, then it may be designed as a conventional slab with the normal and tangential components of vertical loads acting on the slab.

Indrajit Barua.

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 designadd2002 wrote :
Quote:
Respected seniors please help me .

I have to design a gabled rcc roof slab of span 4m on
column frame structure.

Please guide me /provide me guide lines /steps for the
same .Any book for refrence.

I will be very grateful to you.

Thanking you.

Yours

Er.A.K.Gupta

AMIE(CIVIL)

Bollywood news, movie reviews, film trailers and more!
Click here. (http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_movies_1/*ht-
tp://in.movies.yahoo.com/?wm=n/)

Posted via Email
vijaya_vittal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: REGARDING GABLE ROOF SLAB DESIGN Reply with quote

Make sure that the form work is rigid and does not move during concreting. Advise that the side of the beams supporting the gable slab shall not be removed till 7 days.

Regards.
H.N.Vijaya Vittal
Mobile # 98453 36408

--- On Sun, 4/26/09, ibarua <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: [SEFI] Re: REGARDING GABLE ROOF SLAB DESIGN
To: general@sefindia.org
Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 1:32 PM

26th April 2009

Formulae for the design of gable end frames are given in 'Steel Designers' Manual' published by CONSTRADO.

If you are talking about only the sloping slab, then it may be designed as a conventional slab with the normal and tangential components of vertical loads acting on the slab.

Indrajit Barua.

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: REGARDING GABLE ROOF SLAB DESIGN Reply with quote

In addition to what Shri Barua and Er Vijaya Vittal has said, I wish to inform you that you may use any std. computer program to analyze the gable frame. But detail it properly at the ridge, See my paper for more details:
Normal 0   false false false        MicrosoftInternetExplorer4  <![endif]-->   <![endif]-->    /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:"";      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;}  <![endif]-->
1. Subramanian, N. and Prakash Rao, D.S., Design of Joints in R.C. Structures – a Review, Chapter in the book Earthquake Engineering, An ICJ compilation, Associated Cement Companies Ltd., Thane, 2004, pp. 65-74; also    /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable      {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";      mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;      mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;      mso-style-noshow:yes;      mso-style-parent:"";      mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;      mso-para-margin:0in;      mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;      mso-pagination:widow-orphan;      font-size:10.0pt;      font-family:"Times New Roman";      mso-ansi-language:#0400;      mso-fareast-language:#0400;      mso-bidi-language:#0400;}  <![endif]-->
The Indian Concrete Journal,Vol.77, No.2, Feb.2003, pp.883-892.

You may also look into Prof. Prakash Rao's book on detailing, TMH

Regards
Subramanian

Quote:

Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 8:01 PM

Make sure that the form work is rigid and does not move during concreting. Advise that the side of the beams supporting the gable slab shall not be removed till 7 days.

Regards.
H.N.Vijaya Vittal
Mobile # 98453 36408

--- On Sun, 4/26/09, ibarua  wrote:
Quote:

Subject: [SEFI] Re: REGARDING GABLE ROOF SLAB DESIGN
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)
Date: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 1:32 PM

26th April 2009

Indrajit Barua.

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er.A.K.Gupta,

If you are a member of IAStruct.E (Indian Structural engineers association) then you can refer the STRUCTURE DESIGN(SD) magazine published by the same association. It is free for members but it costs Rs100/= for each issue for nonmembers. This is a bimonthly issue. In one of the issue one article by Er.Jeyakumar has very elegantly presented the method of designing the sloped slabs using STAAD. You can refer it.
To get the SD  below is the details of the contact person with e-mail ID.

AKSHAT KHOKHANI

Group Head

Akar InfoMedia Pvt. Ltd.

AIM House, 78-Pankaj Society, Nr. Anjali Cross Roads, Bhattha, Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Phones : +91 79 3251 5588 / 5599 Fax : +91 79 2662 0020 Cell : +91 98250 62802  

Email : akshat@aimcorp.in

WORD OF CAUTION:
IN ADDITION TO THE REMARKS AS POINTED OUT BY Dr.N.S AND OTHER ENGINEER IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE GOOD DETAILING SPECIALLY IF YOU MAKE ANY OPENING IN THE SLAB . IF YOU PROVIDE OPENING AT THE CROWN PROVIDE A RING BEAM.

Best of luck.

T.Rangarajan.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirumalaichettiar wrote:
Dear Er.A.K.Gupta,

If you are a member of IAStruct.E (Indian Structural engineers association) then you can refer the STRUCTURE DESIGN(SD) magazine published by the same association. It is free for members but it costs Rs100/= for each issue for nonmembers. This is a bimonthly issue. In one of the issue one article by Er.Jeyakumar has very elegantly presented the method of designing the sloped slabs using STAAD. You can refer it.
To get the SD  below is the details of the contact person with e-mail ID.

AKSHAT KHOKHANI

Group Head

Akar InfoMedia Pvt. Ltd.

AIM House, 78-Pankaj Society, Nr. Anjali Cross Roads, Bhattha, Ahmedabad 380 007 India

Phones : +91 79 3251 5588 / 5599 Fax : +91 79 2662 0020 Cell : +91 98250 62802  

Email : akshat@aimcorp.in

WORD OF CAUTION:
IN ADDITION TO THE REMARKS AS POINTED OUT BY Dr.N.S AND OTHER ENGINEER IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE GOOD DETAILING SPECIALLY IF YOU MAKE ANY OPENING IN THE SLAB . IF YOU PROVIDE OPENING AT THE CROWN PROVIDE A RING BEAM.

Best of luck.

T.Rangarajan.

Today, I accidentally came across our Rangarajan Sir referring to an article of me in an IASE Digest of more than 10 years back. When this was posted by him in year 2009, I had not joined SEFI, and obviously, I could not notice his posting then. This was on analysis of Pyramidal roofs using STAAD.  Recently, a SEFI member had asked me his doubt on the design of a gable roof resting on longitudinal spandrel beams, without any transverse beams, through personal message. I then attempted the manual analysis and design of such a case assuming the gable slab having pinned end condition ( in the spandrel beams), and taking into consideration the axial compression in the sloped slab in design (as suggested by PC Varghese in his book of Design of Shells), along with the BM. The manuscript is attached. The illustration is for section at crown for maximum negative moment along with axial force (steel at top). Similar design can be done for maximum positive BM with axial compression also. The same can be analysed using STAAD also.

E S Jayakumar

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
Design of Gable Roof.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Design of Gable Roof.pdf
 Filesize:  714.68 KB
 Downloaded:  109 Time(s)

kapildingare

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Jaykumarji....more interesting will be analysis and design of longitudinal beam subjected to biaxial moments.
           Thanks .

Kapil Dingare
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beam subjected to bi-axial moments with no axial force may be designed as a column subjected to bi-axial moments with Pu = 0 (then provide equal steel at top & bottom).
[ Courtesy : Dr. H.J.Shah]

E S Jayakumar
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kapildingare wrote:
Yes Jaykumarji....more interesting will be analysis and design of longitudinal beam subjected to biaxial moments.
           Thanks .

Kapil Dingare

The Book "Design Aids for Limit State Design of RC Members" by U H Varyani (Khanna Publishers) has an exclusive chapter on" Rectangular Beams Under Bi-axial Bending."

E S Jayakumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: