www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

A New idea for RCC COLUMN design
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

DEL

Last edited by sukanta.adhikari on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Har Sarup Garg
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

Thanks Sir, I read the method and apply in my future design and compare the results. I will definitely share these results to your goodself. Thanks again Sir.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019, 11:58 rg.gupta <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Sefians
Jai Hind

1ST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF ENGINNERING A REVOLOTIONARY IDEA FOR RCC COLUMN DESIGN UNEARTHED

A new research & development for RCC column design based on basic concept & fundamentals in very simple method not attempted by any body before. Not only applicable for Indian code but also to all country codes . The design Engineers will definitely get rid of the tardy, tedious, error in reading & time-consuming method by using various charts prepared based on trials & experiments from time immemorial with so many approximations.
The initial work is based on first principal i.e. "Moment is nothing but multiple of force and eccentricity, due to these eccentricities ,the increase in area of concreate section with no eccentricity, is again calculated then this area of concreate is converted in proportion to the area of steel. The summation of both these areas of steel i.e. one due to pure axial compression & other due to converted area of steel due to the eccentricities" .
The theory for this research is explained for INDIAN CODE similarly may be drived for other COUNTRY CODES
The ultimate axial load of column is derived partially from concreate section & partially
from quantity of steel at an axial strain of .002 as per a sample example for INDIAN CODE.
As per clause 38.6 of IS 456  1978" Puz = 0.45 Fck.Ac + 0.75 Fy.Asc (but may vary due to future revisions)ā€¯
All dimensions are in Newtons & Millimeters except Ultimate Load & Moments which are in Kilo Newtons
& Kilo Newtons Meters respectively.
Reduced stress of concreate adopted as per Indian Code i.e. a= 0.45*Fck
Reduced stress of steel adopted as per Indian Code i.e b =0.75*Fy
Calculations for eccentricity in x- directions i.e Mx/ Puz =ex
Calculations for eccentricity in x- directions i.e My/Puz =ey
Area of concreate of section i.e Width*Depth i.e. A1 =Bx*Dy
Equivalent Area of concreate without eccentricity i.e.A2 ={2*(Bx/2+ex)}*{2*(Dy/2+ey)}
Excessive Area of concreate due to eccentricity i.e.(A2-A1) ={(Bx+2*ex)*(Dy+2*ey)-(Bx*Dy)}
From area of concreate in proportion to area of steel i.e. a/b =(0.45*Fck/0.75*Fy)
Area of steel due to axial load i.e. At1 ={(1000*Puz-0.45*Fck*Bx*Dy)/(0.75*Fy-0.45*Fck)}
Area of steel due to eccentricity i.e. At2=(A2-A1)*a/b
={(Bx+2*ex)*(Dy+2*ey)-Bx*Dy}*(0.45*Fck/0.75*Fy)
Total Area of steel i.e. At =At1+At2

Based on the above theory, a simple computer program has been developed in Excel sheets for
Rectangular, Circular , L- section and also for any theoretical section as well as per INDIAN CODE .
(This simple Excel computer program is attached for testing and wide circulation between all
concerned)

The ultimate axial load of column is derived partially from concreate section & partially
from quantity of steel as per BRITISH CODE -8111.
As per Axial load i.e. "Puz = 0.45 Fck.Ac + 0.75 Fy.Asc" (but it may vary)
All dimensions are in Newtons & Millimeters except Ultimate Load & Moments which are in Kilo Newtons
& Kilo Newtons Meter respectively.
Reduced stress of concreate adopted as per British Code i.e. a= 0.45*Fck
Reduced stress of steel adopted as per Brtish Code i.e b =0.95*Fy
Equivalent Area of concreate without eccentricity i.e.A2 ={2*(Bx/2+ex)}*{2*(Dy/2+ey)}
Excessive Area of concreate due to eccentricity i.e.(A2-A1) ={(Bx+2*ex)*(Dy+2*ey)-(Bx*Dy)}
From area of concreate in proportion to area of steel i.e. a/b =(0.45*Fck/0.95*Fy)

Area of steel due to axial load i.e. At1 ={(1000*Puz-0.45*Fck*Bx*Dy)/(0.95*Fy-0.45*Fck)}
={(Bx+2*ex)*(Dy+2*ey)-Bx*Dy}*(0.45*Fck/0.95*Fy)

Based on the above theory, a simple computer program has been developed in Excel sheets for
Rectangular, Circular , L- section & any theoretical section as well as per BRITISH CODE .
(This simple Excel computer program is attached for testing and wide circulation between all
Concerned)

Ultimate axial load of column is derived partially from concreate section & partially
from quantity of steel as per ACI CODE -318
As per Axial load i.e. "Puz = 0.442 Fck.Ac + 0.52 Fy.Asc" (but it may vary)
All dimensions are in Pound & inch except Ultimate Load & Moments which are in Kilo Pound
& Kilo Pound Feet respectively.
Reduced stress of concreate adopted as per ACI Code i.e. a= 0.442*Fck
Reduced stress of steel adopted as perACI Code i.e b =0.52*Fy
From area of concreate in proportion to area of steel i.e. a/b =(0.442*Fck/0.52*Fy)

Area of steel due to axial load i.e. At1 ={(1000*Puz-0.442*Fck*Bx*Dy)/(0.52*Fy-0.442*Fck)}
={(Bx+2*ex)*(Dy+2*ey)-Bx*Dy}*(0.442*Fck/0.52*Fy)

Rectangular, Circular , L- section & any theoretical section as well per ACI CODE .
(This simple Excel computer program is attached for testing and wide circulation between all concerned)
All design engineers, researchers, scientists & authors also fraternity in the field in general & all SEFI members in particular are requested to use this sample excel program as many times as they can with nos. of variable inputs for scrutiny & testing for their valuable comments, feedback & acceptance for further revisions.
Er R G GUPTA
FORMER SUPRITENDING ENGEER
CENTRAL DESIGN ORGANIGATION
DELHI DEVEOPMENT AUTHORITY
rg.gupta41@gmail.com (rg.gupta41@gmail.com)

+91-9718829191

Download Attachments:
Program_for_RCC_Column_Design_(all_codes).xlsx

Posted via Email
nag1.bala
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

Thank you for 

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019, 05:15 rg.gupta, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Sefians
Jai Hind

1ST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF ENGINNERING A REVOLOTIONARY IDEA FOR RCC COLUMN DESIGN UNEARTHED

A new research & development for RCC column design based on basic concept & fundamentals in very simple method not attempted by any body before. Not only applicable for Indian code but also to all country codes . The design Engineers will definitely get rid of the tardy, tedious, error in reading & time-consuming method by using various charts prepared based on trials & experiments from time immemorial with so many approximations.
The initial work is based on first principal i.e. "Moment is nothing but multiple of force and eccentricity, due to these eccentricities ,the increase in area of concreate section with no eccentricity, is again calculated then this area of concreate is converted in proportion to the area of steel. The summation of both these areas of steel i.e. one due to pure axial compression & other due to converted area of steel due to the eccentricities" .
The theory for this research is explained for INDIAN CODE similarly may be drived for other COUNTRY CODES
from quantity of steel at an axial strain of .002 as per a sample example for INDIAN CODE.
As per clause 38.6 of IS 456  1978" Puz = 0.45 Fck.Ac + 0.75 Fy.Asc (but may vary due to future revisions)ā€¯
From area of concreate in proportion to area of steel i.e. a/b =(0.45*Fck/0.75*Fy)
Area of steel due to axial load i.e. At1 ={(1000*Puz-0.45*Fck*Bx*Dy)/(0.75*Fy-0.45*Fck)}

Rectangular, Circular , L- section and also for any theoretical section as well as per INDIAN CODE .
concerned)

From area of concreate in proportion to area of steel i.e. a/b =(0.45*Fck/0.95*Fy)

Area of steel due to axial load i.e. At1 ={(1000*Puz-0.45*Fck*Bx*Dy)/(0.95*Fy-0.45*Fck)}

Rectangular, Circular , L- section & any theoretical section as well as per BRITISH CODE .
Concerned)

Ultimate axial load of column is derived partially from concreate section & partially
All dimensions are in Pound & inch except Ultimate Load & Moments which are in Kilo Pound
From area of concreate in proportion to area of steel i.e. a/b =(0.442*Fck/0.52*Fy)

Area of steel due to axial load i.e. At1 ={(1000*Puz-0.442*Fck*Bx*Dy)/(0.52*Fy-0.442*Fck)}

Rectangular, Circular , L- section & any theoretical section as well per ACI CODE .
(This simple Excel computer program is attached for testing and wide circulation between all concerned)
All design engineers, researchers, scientists & authors also fraternity in the field in general & all SEFI members in particular are requested to use this sample excel program as many times as they can with nos. of variable inputs for scrutiny & testing for their valuable comments, feedback & acceptance for further revisions.
Er R G GUPTA

+91-9718829191

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
uhvaryani
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

dear er.gupta,congratulations for this pioneering work.
all the best wishes
uhvaryani

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 1:24 AM rg.gupta <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Sefians
Jai Hind

concerned)

Concerned)

Er R G GUPTA

+91-9718829191

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
Manoharbs_eq
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

Actually this can be used for initial sizing, but when the moment is excessive and eccentricity exceeds beyond the section then this method cannot be considered.

On Mon, 2 Sep, 2019, 1:23 PM rg.gupta, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Sefians
Jai Hind

concerned)

Concerned)

Er R G GUPTA

+91-9718829191

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
husainhamdulay
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Engg Gupta
Really an ashtonishing work. Good Luck for ur future works

Regards
Husain
bhsolanki
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

Respected Gupta Sir,

I have two observations regarding this method,

1. It is not clear here How Cl.39.6 is satisfied for Biaxial column, as it's equation uses parameter alpha n, which is based on Pu/Puz value.

2. To Check Cl.39.6, One must have Mux1 & Muy1, Maximum Moment Capacity of columns for the given materials & Ast provided & arrangement of Steel with cover, which is also not considered here.

My opinions in actual practice

1. It is better to use Pu-Mu charts using same simple MS-Excel Programs than to use SP-16 Charts which needs to be converted which is tedious procedure.

2. By using Pu-Mu Chart designer has to put column end results Pu & Mu values in that graph, if all the values are falling within the chart that will be mostly to be safe section with Moment Demand/Capacity ratio should be preferable between 0.5 to 0.6 in both the axes for Aplha n value in < 1.8.

3. Best method I seen is used by Etabs/SAP2000 software where they uses P-My-Mz Envelope surface & Simultenouly shows all the load combination result in 3D graph which is good visualization for further iteration if required in checking column orientations.

4. In software column concrete dimensions plays important role in analysis as it's directly related to Its second moment of inertia & I affects the Moment distribution in Space frame of the structure, so if designer has the freedom of choosing higher concrete dimension its better to increase it and re-analyse to have more economic column sections.

To All readers: I request you to correct me if I have any wrong understandings here.

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 15:52, rg.gupta <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Sefians
Jai Hind

concerned)

Concerned)

Er R G GUPTA

+91-9718829191

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
uhvaryani
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: A New idea for RCC Column design Reply with quote

Dear Sefians, The work of Er.R.G.Gupta on column design is original and it is highly appreciated.I wish to give here the work already done by other engineers in the field of RCC column design.Most of the work available refers to rectangular and circular sections.For other sections like L-shaped,T-shaped or triangular shaped columns,we need more work.I hope Er,R.G.Gupta's method can be applied to these shapes too.
  Ghanekar and Chandra's Handbook is being used extensively in design offices.
Professor S.N.SINHA and his students of IIT,Delhi have extensive work in this field.
Professor Sinha's HANDBOOK is very useful in design offices.Varyani's book on 
Biaxial Bending of Reinforced Concrete Members is also a useful reference on this subject.
Engineers who have time and inclination should solve a few examples by different methods and get these compared with Er.R.G.Gupta's method for verification.
The work of Er.R.G.Gupta is highly commended and it can be used in design offices.
with best wishes and regards,
uhvaruani

Virus-free. www.avg.com                 

Posted via Email
BVRAO
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir
Please Study and send feed back

ColumnDesign.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.31 KB
 Viewed:  373 Time(s)

ColumnDesign.jpg

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
ColumnDesign.rar
 Description:
Download to design

Download
 Filename:  ColumnDesign.rar
 Filesize:  47.44 KB
 Downloaded:  556 Time(s)

rg.gupta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

Dear Manoharbs
Jai Hind
    It is advised in future pl do not  make any comment  in haste ,before you make a proper  study of the case in  depth & get the feed back.
Now it is suggested to go through the results of some of the solved examples of SP-16 of BIS ,Author A.K.Jain & Authors Karve & Shah Books on RCC
and comparison with My program results as given  below:  
 1) SP-16 of 1980
                          a) Exp. 5 on page 99
                          b) Exp. 6 on page 103  
                          c) Exp. 7 on page 103
                          d) Exp. 8 on page 105
                          e) Exp. 9 on page 107
2) A.K JAIN
                           a) Exp. 16.8  on page 493
                           b) Exp. 16.9  on page 495
                           c) Exp. 16.10 on page 496
3) KARVE & SHAH
                           a) Exp.  4-1 on page    787
                           b) Exp.  9.6-1 on page 878
                           c) Exp   9.6-2 on page 879
                           d) Exp.  9.6-3 on page 881
                           e) Exp.  9.6-4 on page 882
                           f) Exp.   9.7-1 on page 885 
As there are so many softwares available here such as strap1,staad & Etab etc ,the results obtained from them are at variance also with consultant to consultant.
It is further clarified that this concept /research is at a very initial stage, may invite some minor modifications such as effective cover etc. are underway
which will have minor impact even now the results obtained are comparable with any body's as  these results are  based on basic fundamentals are  perfect 
& genuine .
R G GUPTA S.E(Retd.) 
CDO/DDA

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: