www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

A New idea for RCC COLUMN design
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aslam
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Design of RC column Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Congratulations for your great effort.
The sheet works fine. However I think the Ast you get is comparatively higher.

Fck= 20 N/MM2 8.888889
Fy= 415 N/MM2
P= 1000 KN 500
Mx= 230 KNM 230 *less than min eccentricity*
My= 230 KNM 230 *less than  min eccentricity*
Bx= 500 MM
Dy= 500 MM
As= 8631.004 MM2
ex= 230 230 25
ey= 230 230 25
A1= 250000
A2= 921600
As1= 0
As2= 8631.004

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
compare (2).pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  compare (2).pdf
 Filesize:  269.79 KB
 Downloaded:  555 Time(s)

mohd_arastu
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

Hi,  can you please share the excel file?

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019, 9:54 AM rg.gupta <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Manoharbs
Jai Hind
    It is advised in future pl do not  make any comment  in haste ,before you make a proper  study of the case in  depth & get the feed back.
Now it is suggested to go through the results of some of the solved examples of SP-16 of BIS ,Author A.K.Jain & Authors Karve & Shah Books on RCC
and comparison with My program results as given  below:  
 1) SP-16 of 1980
                          a) Exp. 5 on page 99
                          b) Exp. 6 on page 103  
                          c) Exp. 7 on page 103
                          d) Exp. 8 on page 105
                          e) Exp. 9 on page 107
2) A.K JAIN
                           a) Exp. 16.8  on page 493
                           b) Exp. 16.9  on page 495
                           c) Exp. 16.10 on page 496
3) KARVE & SHAH
                           a) Exp.  4-1 on page    787
                           b) Exp.  9.6-1 on page 878
                           c) Exp   9.6-2 on page 879
                           d) Exp.  9.6-3 on page 881
                           e) Exp.  9.6-4 on page 882
                           f) Exp.   9.7-1 on page 885 
As there are so many softwares available here such as strap1,staad & Etab etc ,the results obtained from them are at variance also with consultant to consultant.
It is further clarified that this concept /research is at a very initial stage, may invite some minor modifications such as effective cover etc. are underway
which will have minor impact even now the results obtained are comparable with any body's as  these results are  based on basic fundamentals are  perfect 
& genuine .
R G GUPTA S.E(Retd.) 
CDO/DDA
rg.gupta41@gmail.com (rg.gupta41@gmail.com) (rg.gupta41@gmail.com (rg.gupta41@gmail.com))

Posted via Email
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er R G Gupta.

I have one doubt.  The examples shown in your Excel sheets consider only short columns.  Is your method applicable for long and slender columns as defined in IS code?

Please don't get angry if I have asked a silly question.

With kind regards,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208
rg.gupta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

Dear Shree N. PRABHAKAR
jai hind
No Sir ,Not at all. If some body without going through the details & passes a immatured   remark ,then It becomes unbearable ,
without  knowing that  I am working on this concept for more than 10 years .

My special thanks to Sh V.H.VARYANI for his remarkable comments as well as his moral supports extended on this subject.

Regarding for your query for slender columns, It is ready for  release  & will be posted on SEFI .
When atleast 50 of our distinguish members of SEFI & their valuable comments are received & their suggestions are duly incorporated.

I hope this program will prove to be most  remarkable work for the design of RCC Slender of any size & shape after my next posting.
& all authorities of the world in the field will definitely surprised that the RCC column Design becomes to easy to believe & the results
are ready simultaneous to inputs given within seconds.

R G GUPTA S.E.(Retd)
CENTRAL DESIGN ORGANISATION 
DELHI DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
rg.gupta41@gmail.com (rg.gupta41@gmail.com)
91-9718829191

Posted via Email
Sufiyan_choksi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

thanks can we talk?may i have your book?

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 10:31 AM uhvaryani <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Sefians, The work of Er.R.G.Gupta on column design is original and it is highly appreciated.I wish to give here the work already done by other engineers in the field of RCC column design.Most of the work available refers to rectangular and circular sections.For other sections like L-shaped,T-shaped or triangular shaped columns,we need more work.I hope Er,R.G.Gupta's method can be applied to these shapes too.
  Ghanekar and Chandra's Handbook is being used extensively in design offices.
Professor S.N.SINHA and his students of IIT,Delhi have extensive work in this field.
Professor Sinha's HANDBOOK is very useful in design offices.Varyani's book on 
Biaxial Bending of Reinforced Concrete Members is also a useful reference on this subject.
Engineers who have time and inclination should solve a few examples by different methods and get these compared with Er.R.G.Gupta's method for verification.
The work of Er.R.G.Gupta is highly commended and it can be used in design offices.
with best wishes and regards,
uhvaruani

Virus-free. www.avg.com                 

Posted via Email
sushil_singh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

Is the original post deleted? Can 't see it.
sukanta.adhikari wrote:
DEL
rg.gupta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: COL DESIGN Reply with quote

dear sefians
jai hind
as some query was raised by a member ,this was  duly clarified by re- sending the  excel file over
 the inputs of example no 8 of SP-16 on page  105 for information to all.
R G GUPTA

- Forwarded message
From: Rg Gupta <rg.gupta41@gmail.com (rg.gupta41@gmail.com)>
Date: Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: COL DESIGN
To: Gunaseelan M <guna132001@gmail.com (guna132001@gmail.com)>

Jjai Hind 
Thanks for your sincere comments .
Pl see the attached file for details  as per inputs given on page 105 of  example 8 of SP-16 .
It is further clarified that the moments i.e. Mx is parallel to Bx and My is parallel to Dy and re-execute and discuss.
R G GUPTA

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 5:41 AM Gunaseelan M <guna132001@gmail.com (guna132001@gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]Dear R.G. Gupta Ji                                         Namaskar.  CONGRATULATIONS for good initiative.
I have gone through your Excell col design programme, compared with the worked out example of col biaxial design given in SP-16. The following notations are not clear in your programme,so i have assumed as follows
1. P       AXIAL UN-FACTORED LOAD
2. MX    UN-FACTORED MOMENT ABOUT X AXIS
3. MY     UN- FACTORED MOMENT ABOUT Y AXIS

Accordingly the result steel area given your programme is As= 3428 sq.mm  against   3053 sq.mm
a difference of 12.28% on higher side.    

M.Gunaseelan
EXE.ENGINEER(RETD) CPWD. CHARTERED ENGINEER
Structural Consultant
BENGALURU-560076
mobile: 9445562080

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 8:01 PM Gunaseelan M <guna132001@gmail.com (guna132001@gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]Ok, I will do it. 

gunaseelan 

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019, 6:29 pm Rg Gupta, <rg.gupta41@gmail.com (rg.gupta41@gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]DEAR GNASEELAN M
JAI HIND
pl find attached herewith the excel file as requested .it will be appreciated if you pl compare this  program with your past work of at least for 10 nos of design of columns and send a report of these results.
thanks
R G GUPTA

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 4:30 AM Gunaseelan M <guna132001@gmail.com (guna132001@gmail.com)> wrote:

[quote]PL SEND THE EXCEL  SHEET FOR STUDYING.

Posted via Email

Use online scanners
Program_for_RCC_Column_Design_(all_codes).xlsx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Program_for_RCC_Column_Design_(all_codes).xlsx
 Filesize:  15.74 KB
 Downloaded:  568 Time(s)

sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A New idea for RCC COLUMN design Reply with quote

Dear sushil sir

Actually the original post was deleted .So I also deleted my post.

Regards
S adhikari

sushil_singh wrote:
Is the original post deleted? Can 't see it.
sukanta.adhikari wrote:
DEL

sef.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  259.54 KB
 Viewed:  306 Time(s)

sef.png

N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

I have developed Excel spreadsheets for the design of several RC members which includes  rectangular and circular columns subjected to axial compression/tensile load, uniaxial/biaxial moments, short/long columns by limit-state method as per IS: 456 - 2000.  It also includes calculation of effective length of column as per Clause 25.2 (Annex E) of IS:456-2000.

For details, please visit my website www.rcdesignspreadsheets.com.

A sample of Excel sheets for design of rectangular columns is attached herewith.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208

Mobile: 9322199254

Use online scanners
Rectangular Column - Biaxial Bending.docx
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Rectangular Column - Biaxial Bending.docx
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Downloaded:  584 Time(s)

Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A New idea for RCC Column design Reply with quote

Dear All,

I second the views expressed by our respected Er Varyani Sir and wish to appreciate Er R.G. Gupta for his original work-the earlier version of his equations was published in the Indian Concrete Journal.

Regards
NS

uhvaryani wrote:
Dear Sefians, The work of Er.R.G.Gupta on column design is original and it is highly appreciated.I wish to give here the work already done by other engineers in the field of RCC column design.Most of the work available refers to rectangular and circular sections.For other sections like L-shaped,T-shaped or triangular shaped columns,we need more work.I hope Er,R.G.Gupta's method can be applied to these shapes too.
  Ghanekar and Chandra's Handbook is being used extensively in design offices.
Professor S.N.SINHA and his students of IIT,Delhi have extensive work in this field.
Professor Sinha's HANDBOOK is very useful in design offices.Varyani's book on
Biaxial Bending of Reinforced Concrete Members is also a useful reference on this subject.
Engineers who have time and inclination should solve a few examples by different methods and get these compared with Er.R.G.Gupta's method for verification.
The work of Er.R.G.Gupta is highly commended and it can be used in design offices.
with best wishes and regards,
uhvaruani

Virus-free. www.avg.com                 

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: