www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

IS 800: 2007 - Design of Plate Girder

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: IS 800: 2007 - Design of Plate Girder Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

I am designing the plate girder with transverse stiffeners by IS 800: 2007.

Code has suggested following methods for shear buckling design.

1. Simple post critical method
2. Tension field method

I am referring Example 11.6 and Example 11.7 from Dr N. Subramanian book, here both methods are used for the same girder and stiffener configuration.

I want to konw - How to make choice between these two methods? (How to decide which method to be adopted for the particular problem?)

Thanks & Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr N. Subramanian Sir,

Can you please help me on this issue.

Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: IS 800: 2007 - Design of Plate Girder Reply with quote

Dear Er Yogesh,

I am sorry I am not able to give my comments to many posts as I have lot of pending work. Moreover I do not know proper typing and hence use one finger only- this takes lot of time for typing!

Reg your question, I wish to state that IS 800 Clause 8.4.2.2(a) says that the Simple Post Critical method (SPCM) can be used for webs with or without intermediate transverse stiffeners, provided the web has transverse stiffeners at the supports.

Clause 8.4.2.2(b) states that the Tension Field Method(TFM) may be used for webs with intermediate transverse stiffener, in addition to  the transverse stiffeners at the supports, provided the panels adjacent to the panel under tension field action, or the end posts provide anchorage for the tension fields and if c/d >= 1.0.

Hence for you to adopt TFM, you have to satisfy several conditions as given in the paragraph above.  Note that providing several stiffeners is expensive and time consuming and hence many designers and fabricators opt for SPCM with transverse stiffeners at the supports only.

If the web thickness comes out be very high- which will result in increase in weight appreciably, you may adopt the other method. TFM is usually applicable to thin webs with stiffeners at the ends and intermediate stiffeners. In order to avoid the intermediate stiffeners many firms in Japan, Germany and other European countries now opt for corrugated or folded webs. See the Ph.D. thesis by Mr X. Wang of the Drexel Univ. USA, who has used corrugated web I-beams, combined with the idea of using tubular flanges: http://idea.library.drexel.edu/bitstream/1860/98/10/wang_thesis.pdf

I take this opportunity to point out a small thing. The equation for Phi given in the code is actually the eqn for theta (slope of the panel diagonal). The value of Phi ranges between Theta/2 to theta. Eurocode suggests a conservative value of Theta/1.5. The recent reprint of my book contains this info.

Hope you are aware of the mistake in width of tension field in the code. The correct exp. is given below

wtf = d cos(phi)-(c-sc-st) sin(phi)

Hope the above clears your doubt.

Wishing you all the best
Subramanian

Yogesh.Pisal wrote:
Dear Friends,

2. Tension field method

I am referring Example 11.6 and Example 11.7 from Dr N. Subramanian book, here both methods are used for the same girder and stiffener configuration.

I want to konw - How to make choice between these two methods? (How to decide which method to be adopted for the particular problem?)

Thanks & Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: IS 800: 2007 - Design of Plate Girder Reply with quote

Dear Er Yogesh,
In USA the corrugated web beams were patented by Mr Young J. Paik who marketed it to builders in 1970s’, and with the help M/s Sumitomo, a Japanese company,  he started a company called PACO Engineering Corp., to manufacture and sell the product. I just read a piece of info. about him and thought it will be a moral boosting story for the young engineers and hence sharing it here.

Mr. Paik, as a young man, left his home in what is now North Korea just ahead of the Communist army. He sustained himself in South Korea as a chestnut vendor. Roasting chestnuts was a skill he had mastered in his village 25 miles, north of Pyonhyang.

In 1956 Young arrived in the United States with $50.00 in his pocket. With that $50.00 and a job as a busboy in Los Angeles, he saved enough to begin studies at the University of Oregon where he finished all requirements for a Physics Degree and then an Engineering Degree from the Indiana School of Technology in 1959.

After working as an intern, an engineer and the invention of “Paik’s Knee” (Paik’s Knee is a connecting part that allows the
assembly of steel buildings without welding), Mr. Paik founded Paco Engineering where he invented the corrugated beam. Paco now ships over 250,000 tons of steel annually.

In 1995 Mr. Paik served on a U.S. delegation to North Korea which served as a precursor to formal economic cooperation. In 1999, Ernst and Young selected Mr. Paik as the Entrepreneur of the Year for
1999-2000.

Well it’s not enough for Young. In 2005 he received a PhD from Yonsei University! He received the  Lifetime Achievement Award from California Manufactured Housing Institute in 2005.

Wishing you all the best
Subramanian
Yogesh.Pisal
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr. N. Subramanian Sir,

Thanks for the reply. My doubts are almost clear on the use of TFM and SPCM.

Really life storey of Mr. Young Paik is very inspiring and definitely it will always keep on inspiring young engineers like me.

Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
shubham kumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: IS 800: 2007 - Design of Plate Girder Reply with quote

Yogesh.Pisal wrote:
Dear Friends,

2. Tension field method

Thanks & Regards,
Yogesh Pisal
Salman Alibhai Dhroj
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you  Dr. N. Subramanian sir

I also doubt clear for understanding diffrence between following two methods
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: