www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

AUTHORS @ SEFI - A weekly Essay Series about author luminaries at SEFI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sefi_admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: AUTHORS @ SEFI - A weekly Essay Series about author luminaries at SEFI Reply with quote

Dear All:

In this episode of our series "Authors@SEFI" we will present to you our young old member, Er NR Prabhakar. You are familiar with his enlightening and erudite posts- but I don't know how many of you know that he has been a regular contributor of engineering cartoons to many engineering journals and periodicals.

Er. Prabhakar has had an interesting  professional history. He started his career as a professional in India and then spent thirteen years of his career working as a designer in the United Kingdom (having passed his IStructE exam). He returned to India and worked with large engineering organisations which culminated in a private practice in Mumbai for two decades. He now writes and markets software for steel and concrete design.

Er. Prabhakar special interest lies  in design of Towers  Cooling towers, Chimneys, concrete  cum steel TV towers, besides silos, industrial projects and so on.

What we would like to share with you is a set of slides based on a book published on Er Prabhakar's engineering cartoons by Gujarat Ambuja. We hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Er. Prabhakar for being such an active member of SEFI and sharing your knowledge and wisdom with us.

Links: Download the pdf from the link at the end of this email. Previous essays including this one under this series are archived here https://www.sefindia.org/?q=node/748  or read online here https://sefindia.org/authors/n_prabhakar.htm

Best regards,

Alpa Sheth

Posted via Email

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
Book__Author_N_Prabhakar_SEFI.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Book__Author_N_Prabhakar_SEFI.pdf
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Downloaded:  346 Time(s)

N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

I thank Er. Alpa Sheth for writing kind words about me and my career.

I would like to add the following:

List of Technical Papers authored by N.Prabhakar are given below, published in Indian Concrete Journal, national and international seminars, ResearchGate.net and in SEFI website which can be downloaded. So far, over 9000 people from all over the world have read my papers in ResearchGate.net.

Natural Draught Cooling Towers
Tall RC Chimneys
Andheri Water Tower
Kohima TV Tower
NhavaSheva Silos (Co-author with Mr. S.A. Reddi)
Collapse of Kolkata Flyover (Co-author with Dr. N. Subramanian)
Earthquake Resistant Structures & IS: 456
Water Retaining Structures
Stability of Buildings against Wind Load
Builidng collapses and Remedies

With best wishes and regards,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208

Structures Designed by N. Prabhakar.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  971.88 KB
 Viewed:  23 Time(s)

Structures Designed by N. Prabhakar.jpg

pvsrao
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respected N. Prabhakar Sir
   Felt very nice to go thr your professional carrier.
Pl mention about the softwares packages also  you have developed in Excell, for information to the viewers .

Regards
Pvs Rao
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. PVS Rao,

Thank you for your posting.

As suggested, for details about the two software I have developed, please visit my websites: www.rcdesignspreadsheets.com and www.steeldesignspreadsheets.com.

I am also giving here under YouTube video link for RCDesign and STeelDesign software.

For RCDesign:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK5k8rLymOM

For STeelDesign:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpnJLfGaz0

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208
kunalkansara
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Prabhakar

Your series 'believe it or not' is so fascinating! I didn't know you are a caricaturist as well. You are the RK Laxman of the construction industry!

Thanks for sharing.
Kunal
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: AUTHORS @ SEFI - A weekly Essay Series about author luminaries at SEFI Reply with quote

Dear All,

It is great to learn about the experiences of Er Sukanta Adhikari, while writing the book on  "Handbook of Turbo Generator foundation". As he has said, Indian Publishers are reluctant to publish books, on topics which are not prescribed in the syllabus. Moreover, publishers do not encourage an young author (I also had the same difficulty, when I wrote my first book!)

Wish the book by Er Sukanta Adhikari all success and wish him to write more books useful to young engineers.

Warm regards
NS
sefi_admin wrote:
Dear All,

We introduce this week a young and active member of SEFI who candidly shares with us his struggles in writing a handbook on Turbo generator foundations - Er. Sukanta Adhikari

I think Sukanta's story is one of grit and passion. Despite not being in the big boys club nor having multiple decades of experience and accompanying goodwill, he forged ahead to write the book he felt that needed to be written. I believe (or hope) that interactions with other SEFIans over the years on the subject of TG foundations helped him in adding heft to the book!

This is the story that needs to be told- If you have something special to say, do it. The path is never easy, but the joy of contributing is unparalleled.

Here's wishing you luck in writing more books and sharing with us, Sukanta!

Links: Read the story online here or download the pdf from the link at the end of this email. Previous essays under this series are archived here https://www.sefindia.org/?q=node/748

Best wishes,
Alpa Sheth

Note:  Showcasing a sefi author does not necessarily mean endorsing the book.

Posted via Email
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: AUTHORS @ SEFI - A weekly Essay Series about author luminaries at SEFI Reply with quote

Dear Er Alpa and all other members of SEFI,

I am very happy to read about my friend and senior Engineer Prabhakar in this series on book authors and their experiences.

Making cartoons on a dry subject like Structural Engineering is a very tough job and as indicated by my other friend Dr Kunal Kansara, Er Prabhakar is the RK Laxman of the construction industry! I am sure all will appreciate the cartoons made by him. The selected cartoons published here are great!

I am very fortunate to know him through ICJ which I subscribed/received from 1974-2018! We have also authored a paper jointly!  I am happy to have a copy of his Cartoon book by Ambuja cements!

His achievements are to be emulated by the young engineers (See the impressive structures designed by him). Like me he has also developed several software packages! His papers are also noteworthy!

Warm regards
NS

sefi_admin wrote:
Dear All:

In this episode of our series "Authors@SEFI" we will present to you our young old member, Er NR Prabhakar. You are familiar with his enlightening and erudite posts- but I don't know how many of you know that he has been a regular contributor of engineering cartoons to many engineering journals and periodicals.

Er. Prabhakar has had an interesting  professional history. He started his career as a professional in India and then spent thirteen years of his career working as a designer in the United Kingdom (having passed his IStructE exam). He returned to India and worked with large engineering organisations which culminated in a private practice in Mumbai for two decades. He now writes and markets software for steel and concrete design.

Er. Prabhakar special interest lies  in design of Towers  Cooling towers, Chimneys, concrete  cum steel TV towers, besides silos, industrial projects and so on.

What we would like to share with you is a set of slides based on a book published on Er Prabhakar's engineering cartoons by Gujarat Ambuja. We hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Er. Prabhakar for being such an active member of SEFI and sharing your knowledge and wisdom with us.

Links: Download the pdf from the link at the end of this email. Previous essays including this one under this series are archived here https://www.sefindia.org/?q=node/748  or read online here https://sefindia.org/authors/n_prabhakar.htm

Best regards,

Alpa Sheth

Posted via Email
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: AUTHORS @ SEFI - A weekly Essay Series about author luminaries at SEFI Reply with quote

Respected NS,

Thanks for your kind words and support.You have always been an inspiration for young Engineers like us.

Certainly the journey will continue and with the blessing of mentor like you,I will come up with more books in future.

Regards
S Adhikari

Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
Dear All,

It is great to learn about the experiences of Er Sukanta Adhikari, while writing the book on  "Handbook of Turbo Generator foundation". As he has said, Indian Publishers are reluctant to publish books, on topics which are not prescribed in the syllabus. Moreover, publishers do not encourage an young author (I also had the same difficulty, when I wrote my first book!)

Wish the book by Er Sukanta Adhikari all success and wish him to write more books useful to young engineers.

Warm regards
NS
sefi_admin wrote:
Dear All,

We introduce this week a young and active member of SEFI who candidly shares with us his struggles in writing a handbook on Turbo generator foundations - Er. Sukanta Adhikari

I think Sukanta's story is one of grit and passion. Despite not being in the big boys club nor having multiple decades of experience and accompanying goodwill, he forged ahead to write the book he felt that needed to be written. I believe (or hope) that interactions with other SEFIans over the years on the subject of TG foundations helped him in adding heft to the book!

This is the story that needs to be told- If you have something special to say, do it. The path is never easy, but the joy of contributing is unparalleled.

Here's wishing you luck in writing more books and sharing with us, Sukanta!

Links: Read the story online here or download the pdf from the link at the end of this email. Previous essays under this series are archived here https://www.sefindia.org/?q=node/748

Best wishes,
Alpa Sheth

Note:  Showcasing a sefi author does not necessarily mean endorsing the book.

Posted via Email
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: AUTHORS @ SEFI Reply with quote

Dear  Er. Alpa Sheth, Er PVS Rao, Dr. Kunal Kansara and Dr. N. Subramanian,

Thank you all very much for your kind words on my cartoons in the recent posting in SEFI on AUTHORS at SEFI.

Firstly, I must thank Er. Alpa Sheth for including my book on cartoons in this series, although the subject matter is not technical as in the case of books by other Authors.

Secondly, I must thank Mr. B.V.B Pai and Mr. V.R. Kulkarni, Editors of ICJ, for publishing my cartoons in a technical journal like  ICJ for a period of 19 years. Later to Mr. C.M. Dordi, Vice President - Technical Services of Ambuja Cements, for taking initiative to publish the cartoons in a book form.

Without the help of the above mentioned people, my cartoons would have been no where.

Thank you all once again, and with best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: