www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

load bearing structure

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahul_magdum
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: load bearing structure Reply with quote

1. can we rest r.c.c. slab on UCR WALL IN mud mortar. THE HEIGHT OF THE WALL IS 12'0'' AND THE SPAN OF THE SLAB IS 12'0''
  2. HOW TO DETERMINE THE LOAD CARRING CAPACITY OF WALL.
  3. ANY METHOD TO CHECK THE STABILTY OF THE WALL.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strength of the UCR construction using mud mortar depends a lot on the workmanship. If the mortar used is raw and the workmanship is poor, the overall strength of the masonry will be on much lower side. I could not find any literature that gives the strength of UCR masonry in mud mortar. Better avoid loading it with heavy RCC slab.

E S Jayakumar
spsvasan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: load bearing structure Reply with quote

rahul_magdum wrote:

1. can we rest r.c.c. slab on UCR WALL IN mud mortar. THE HEIGHT OF THE WALL IS 12'0'' AND THE SPAN OF THE SLAB IS 12'0''
  2. HOW TO DETERMINE THE LOAD CARRING CAPACITY OF WALL.
  3. ANY METHOD TO CHECK THE STABILTY OF THE WALL.

Dear SEFIan

I have seen some old 600mm wide brick masonry in mudmortar supporting two stories. The rooms were invariably small, say 3 to 3.6m. The roofing was with Madras Terrace Roof which is a bit heavier than RCC slabs

I have also seen rubble masonry in mud mortar in old single storied constructions, supporting Madras Terrace Roof

As indicated by Er.Jayakumar, it is difficult to assess the strength of such a masonry

If you are very keen on providing an RCC slab over the UCR masonry in mud mortar, you may carry out prism tests as indicated in Appendix B of IS:1905 to assess probable allowable stress.

Also, please consider that after a decade or so, seeing an RC slab, the owner may construct an additional floor

Hope the above is helpful
S.P.Srinivasan
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Srinivasan sir,
Will pointing or plastering with rich cement mortar considerably improve the strength of  the UCR masonry constructed in mud mortar ?

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
spsvasan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

es_jayakumar wrote:
Srinivasan sir,
Will pointing or plastering with rich cement mortar considerably improve the strength of  the UCR masonry constructed in mud mortar ?

Regards,
E S Jayakumar

Dear Er.Jayakumar

I have qualitatively felt at site that half brick walls are stiffer and vibrate less after plastering. I have a gut feeling that load bearing capacity of the wall should also increase slightly due to plastering. But I have never considered the increase in strength due to plastering in my design since I cannot quantify the same.

In my opinion pointing will not increase the strength.

Regards
S.P.Srinivasan
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started by service in DoT, my boss used to tell me that plastering the masonry walls will increase its strength (specific to parapet walls). Has any study been carried out in this direction, to quantify the strength gain so obtained ?

E S Jayakumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: