www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Sliding check for an isolated foundation of a column within a building/structure

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eswar_reddy
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Sliding check for an isolated foundation of a column within a building/structure Reply with quote

Hi SEFIANS,

I need a clarification on, whether the sliding check of any non-eccentric isolated foundation would be critical at any point of time. Provided, the building/structure is constructed by all Moment Resistant Frames.

My statement is like this. 'If an individual foundation had to slide due to some lateral force, then it has to push all the columns/foundations simultaneously, as all columns are interconnected. So, one has to perform the sliding check considering the complete lateral force on the building & total contact area of all foundations'.

Correct me if i was wrong.
venkatasalamkl
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Sliding check for an isolated foundation of a column within a building/structure Reply with quote

Hello Eswar,

From my understanding sliding checks to be done for individual footing.

Reason: Consider that you are checking individual footing and found that few footings fail in sliding checks. Then it indicates that as soon as the failure load is attained, those footings will no more take lateral loads. This confirms that whatever lateral load applied after the failure of the footing should be taken by adjacent columns/footings to maintain equilibrium.

Your statement indirectly implies that while designing multiple shear walls in a building, the shear load to be checked against overall shear capacity. i.e. Total shear load upon the shear capacity of all walls (Not Individual walls). If you do so it is absolutely wrong. Similar concept applies to sliding checks in footings.

Thanks,
VenkatVenkatasalam, Aff.M.ASCE
M.E (Civil with specialization in Structural Engineering)
BITS Pilani, Hyderabad Campus.  
M.+91.8015515182
Go to LinkedIn Profile

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: