www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Design of Helical stair case
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sspawar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Engineers,
Helical Stair Case - elliptical plan,
As this is a special case – due to its shape.
It involves 3 stages:
1.     Architectural plan and its drafting – with ease to all dimensions- it can be possible on Auto cad.
2.     Design – as per its shape and size, as I think Designing 100% could not be done from any regular software. In parts help can be taken from software. As suggested by Shri URIYANI approximation is the best way to resolve such complicated problems. If it is in large scale or numbers of assignment of such elements are there, then separate software can be developed.
3.     Implementation – lay- outing etc on site - It requires full dimensioned sketches and higher degree of expertise in the work.

I have drafted one sketch on basis of basic dimensions and attached PDF.
It also elaborates what problems arrive even in developing the plan. Its each step has separate dimensions.
There are no repetitions as one can get in circular shapes.
Any geometric concept can not be followed to arrange the steps in plan.
Some aesthetic and symmetric dimensions are require to exercise and then can be implemented only.
Vertical orientation is easy to define.
Design part can be done with the help of books etc.
Lay-outing and implementation can again require various sketches.

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
ELLIPTICAL STAIRE CASE.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ELLIPTICAL STAIRE CASE.rar
 Filesize:  124.24 KB
 Downloaded:  801 Time(s)

krishnad1984
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Design of Helical stair case Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

We have 3D model (for steel fabrication purpose) for the similar stair but that was circular in plan. I think this also can be modeled in similar way as you know the rise of the step, it can only be modeled as series of lines (for each rise) and not arcs as it is elliptical in shape. where as if it is in circular we can use series of arc which can be made circular in plan. Please find the attachment of the model in DWF format which you can open with Autodesk design review software that can be downloaded free from Autodesk website. After modeling it in AutoCAD in 3D, there are some FEM software which can convert AutoCAD 3d objects into structural members where you can specify loads and analyse. Also, i think it would be better to support the landing at every level near grid 2'. I asked our client to send me the analysis model so that i can send it to you for your reference. For now please find the screen shots of the analysis results that he has sent to me along with results and instructions. This is all the information i can give you at the moment.

This is my first reply in years even though i have been member of this forum for years i did not find any issue that i think i could suggest anything as there are many experienced engineers suggesting better solutions. But i have been getting good subject by going through all the posts made by other members.

Regards,
Krishna
Technical support engineer

Use online scanners
Details.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Details.rar
 Filesize:  2.09 MB
 Downloaded:  2978 Time(s)

sspawar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. KRISHNAD,
Thank you very much,
Hope you may develop it in 3D (plan of ellipse stair).
And further it can be proceeded for modeling.
thanks once again.
Regards
nainacivil66
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: staircase design by Bangash Reply with quote

Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
Hi Sir,

The details of the book are given below. But I am not sure whether it has the details you are looking for.

Staircases: Structural Analysis and Design
by M.Y.H. Bangash and T. Bangash,Taylor & Francis, 1999, 348pp.£114.95
Contents:
# 1. Specifications and basic data on staircases;
# 2. Structural analysis of staircases: classical methods;
# 3. Structural analysis of staircases: modern methods;
# 4. Staircases and their analyses: a comparative study;
# 5. Design analysis and structural detailing;
# Appendix 1: Supporting analyses;
# Appendix 2: Structural details for practising engineers;
# References.

Regards
NS
assekg wrote:
dear sir,
Can you  please give the publisher of this book, so that I can purchase the book. Is it available now for purchase.
thanks

regards
K.Gangadharan
Structural consultant
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helicoidal Stairs

Reference can also be made to the Book

STRUCTURAL DESIGN OF MULTISTORIED BUILDINGS
Author U H VARYANI

Publisher : SOUTH ASIAN PUBLISHERS , NEW DELHI

Reference can be made to the REYNOLD'S HANDBOOK
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: