www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Taking effect of brick masonary walls for earthquake

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chirag_Garg
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Taking effect of brick masonary walls for earthquake Reply with quote

Dear All,

I was recently doing a earthquake analysis for a project and was confused regarding the time period to be used for earthquake analysis. I have been using 0.09h/d^0.5 for my other projects which i guess is the usual practice.
But this time, I thought to analyze the structure by strut action of brick masonry walls as per IS1893-2016. Here are the observations:

1) Time period difference between conventional method and by using struct element is not significant.
2) Column design is over-conservative for earthquake forces if conventional method is used and that is particularly because bending in column with strut is minimal and column act as almost pure axial member.

Request all engineers to add their observations to this if they also have done similar analysis.

Regards
Chirag Garg
IIT Roorkee
pvgraju

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Taking effect of brick masonary walls for earthquake Reply with quote

Dear sir,

Masonry strut is effective in compression only.So after modeling beam  element as a truss at the end region model a compression spring with same stiffness as beam element. Then check the results. Check with also pin end for truss element.

Regards,

P.V.Gavarraju.
sakumar79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DearSir,
    Please note my views on the same
1. Brickwork is only capable of acting as a compression strut.

2. Further, it's effects are reduced by presence of openings (which may or may not have been originally planned). Also, once it cracks, it's stiffness will reduce drastically.

3. There are too many unknowns in masonry. We have a lot of different types of blocks and varying thickness of walls. Quality control varies too much between vendors

4. 115 mm thick walls, 100 mm thick walls, etc have very poor capacity as compression strut by default

It is therefore not advisable IMHO to take results of column design from the model with struts. Even in the case of time period, it is better to take a conservative approach in case the strut model results in lower Vb.

Hope that helps
Yours sincerely
S Arunkumar
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very vivid , lucid and candid view  /response  from Er S Arun kumar .
Put up the scenario of infills in totality.

sakumar79 wrote:
DearSir,
    Please note my views on the same
1. Brickwork is only capable of acting as a compression strut.

2. Further, it's effects are reduced by presence of openings (which may or may not have been originally planned). Also, once it cracks, it's stiffness will reduce drastically.

3. There are too many unknowns in masonry. We have a lot of different types of blocks and varying thickness of walls. Quality control varies too much between vendors

4. 115 mm thick walls, 100 mm thick walls, etc have very poor capacity as compression strut by default

It is therefore not advisable IMHO to take results of column design from the model with struts. Even in the case of time period, it is better to take a conservative approach in case the strut model results in lower Vb.

Hope that helps
Yours sincerely
S Arunkumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: