www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Roof Slab repair in my flat in an apartment : Urgent assistance required
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David232
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Urgent Roof Slab Repair in my flat in an apartment in Navi Mumbai Nerul Reply with quote

hello engineers. I am glad to share my experience. you should first examine carefully the reason of leakage then consult with professional of room leaking. if I suggest you then it will be dakonders, a best roofing ompany will solve your problem. you can visit here

I'm from Seawoods, Nerul, Navi Mumbai.

I have a flat in a society of 33 buildings (G+3) consisting of around 400 flats, built by central government agencies about 27-30 years ago, the warantee of which has expired as the residents have modified their flats.

However, the ceiling of my flat (and many others) is in a very bad condition. A portion of the ceiling of one room has fallen on its own (nobody is hurt). When we started the repairing work (with society's permission) it's found that the rods inside the ceiling are rusted badly. We feared that the whole ceiling will fall and stopped the work. You may check the photographs attached.

However, the society is dilly-dallying to appoint structural engineers to assess the situation and seek professional advices. In one of the other flats, you can see the upper flat through the ceiling--and it's like that since last 8 months or so, because of the society's indecision.

My query is, is it required to completely remove and redo the entire ceiling slab, involving the floor of upper flat? In case, the upper flat resident does not allow to do the work, and at the same time, society is also not able to appoint qualified structural engineers and start the work, what legal protection/action can I take? Is there any way to do something from inside our flat to stop the ceiling from falling (like, putting iron beams below the ceiling or of that sort).

It's a senior citizen's query who is completely a layman in this regard. Kindly help.

Thanks in advance...

Best regards....[/quote]
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir ,

Being a Sr Citizen , I can understand yr plight . The problem of rusting of bottom reinf bars , thereby chipping off the covering concrete is commonly seen in rcc slabs . There could be many reasons of rust. Ingress of water from open roof , from toilets , kitchen  ( mostly the traps are found leaking becoming source of leakage to lower floor dweller).

Following may be done immediately :
(i) please provide one (or two if room is big) nos Steel girders ISMB 200 @ 25.4 kg/m /  OR ISMB150 @14.9kg/m   as per design dictate along short direction OF ROOM  and resting on long walls.  This will save you as well as yr upper neighbour' from any mishap . If he can contribute in expenses of girders  for strengthening of slab  , well and good otherwise bear these expenses yrself as wise man.
(ii) Chip off all covering concrete which has loosened  and remove rust from bars thru sand paper as possible , fix thin wire mesh thru nails on exposed ceiling and apply mortar 1:3 cement and coarse sand on ceiling to cover reinf as well wire mesh . Cure it for a day and further plastering with 1:3 CEMENT & and fine sand.

(iii)  3rd most important is that request yr upper neighbour  to allow yr plumber to seal sides of all traps of kitchen,  toilets so that further deterioration  is prevented. Sealing can be done using white cement mixed with water proof and khaarra Soda (for early setting) . As a good neighbour , he may allow this since he is not to pay for this activity.

(iv) Yes   as a good neighbour for yr under floor dweller , pl seal  all traps from sides in yr home.

Just a view from designer , but construction expert can also suggest better ways to deal with ageing structures.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: