www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

SOME KNOWN PERSONALITIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(In continuation from previous posts)
Prof Mahesh Tandon (1941 -  Still active )

Professor 's love for  teaching and training is evident from fact that , despite being busy with  Consultancy assignments, he is a Guest Professor at IIT Gandhinagar  and Visiting Professor  for various IIT's at Roorkee , Kanpur and others.

He received many awards and recognitions. Professor  Tandon is Honarary fellow and former  President of ICI, Past President IASE ,  President Indian Society of Wind Engg (2015-18  ). He is instrumental for IRC in  updating  Standard Drawings on small Bridges and Culverts IRC SP-13 and many other IRC Standards.

List of structures handled under his guidance is very long and could be available on .

Dr Tandon penned many papers and Publications for various Technical Journals , few are listed hereinunder :

Historical Development and present status of EQ Resistant Design of Bridges

New Generation Foot Bridges

Integral Construction of Elevated Road over Barapullah Nalah from Sarai Kale Khan to Nehru Stadium , South Delhi.

Tall Concrete Buildings in Urban Environment

Integral Flyovers in Delhi

Economical Design of EQ Resistant Bridges

Aesthetics and Technologies for Urban Bridges

Computer Aided Bridge Design

Precast Roof of Electronics  Factory

- - - - -    And many more

Lastly I salute him ,  the  living Legend , for his  untiring  services to   the Profession of Structural & Civil Engg.
spsvasan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very glad to see the postings of Er.Vikramjeet on Prof Mahesh C. Tandon

I had the good fortune of working under Prof Tandon. Prof Tandon is a very kind mentor and a very able administrator.

I have learnt a lot of structural engineering from him. He also taught me the art of thorough checking of structural drawings. I am, indeed, indebted to him.

S.P.Srinivasan
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spsvasan wrote:
I am very glad to see the postings of Er.Vikramjeet on Prof Mahesh C. Tandon

I had the good fortune of working under Prof Tandon. Prof Tandon is a very kind mentor and a very able administrator.

I have learnt a lot of structural engineering from him. He also taught me the art of thorough checking of structural drawings. I am, indeed, indebted to him.

S.P.Srinivasan

Yes dear S P Srinivasan ,
Prof Mahesh tandon  preferred  structural Consultancy over Teaching  and mentored / trained many young Designers in structural design of  Bridges and other structures in his firm TCPL. It is a good fortune to having worked under  such expert . I too worked under Dr V K Raina and his way of designing had lasting effect on me .
I personally attended  prof Tandon 's  one presentation on Segmental Construction of Bridges in 1995  at Auditorium in Mandi House , Delhi.
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E . SREEDHARAN ( 1930 - Still active )

Known by popular name METRO MAN and  a face of Public Transport in India ,  Sri Ellatuvalapil Sreedharan Sir  ,  is  highly  respected Personality ,all over World , for his contributions to constructon and before - time  completion of several  Railways and Metro  mega projects in India.

Born in Indian State of Kerala  ,  and schooling from BEM Higher  secondary School , young Sreedharan was an exceptionally intelligent student  which gave  conviction of his rise from early days.  Completed Civil Engg from Govt College of Engg , JN Tech University , Kakinada  (1949-53) .

His detailed biography is available on internet at various websites and also , two books giving his life , career,  works and recognitions are penned by famous Authors like MS Asokan and others . As such writing about him on  sefi posting is just a glimpse of this towering Engineer , Manager and Administrator whom the Indian Govt asked to continue for more than two decades after his retirement in view of his expertise  in  managing mega projects .
(to be continued)

Last edited by vikram.jeet on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E. SREEDHARAN  ( 1930 - still active  )
(continued from previous post)
It is a coincidence that E SREEDHARAN  and T.N. Seshan ( former CEC) were classmates in school as well as Victoria College. Sreedharan 's interest in Civil  engineering as first choice , later proved  very good not only for him , but also for our Country.

After completing engineering in 1953 , Sreedhan Sir  served as Civil engg Lecturer in Polytechnic  at Kozhikode.  However fate wanted a different role for him , highly important and he appeared for UPSC 's Engg Services Exam ,1953,  which he cleared with merit .

He joined Indian Railways as Class I and was Structural design Engineer in beginning of career. Later he was posted  for restoration of Pamban Rly Bridge which was washed away in flash floods in December 1964 . He was instrumental in completing the restoration work in half the time ,  of 3 months alloted , and his expertise as Competent Manager got established in Indian Rlys Engg .

(to be continued)
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.SREEDHARAN  ( 1930 - still active )
(Continued  from previous posts)

By 1965 , Sreedhan sir 's popularity had  risen in Indian Railways .In 1970   ,  as  Dy CE  (In-charge) , he was  posted  at Calcutta to manage India's first Underground Metro Rail project with responsibility of implementation,  planning and designs . This Metro Rail project   was  completed within seven years, prior to alloted time frame despite challenging tunneling works as result of his skillful planning .

He was CMD of Cochin Shipyard in 1981where he turned sick unit into productive one  . He was  elevated to GM western Railways in 1987. Such was the charismatic  influence of E SREEDHARAN  that Govt elevated him  in 1989 as Member ( Engg)  . His  retirement in 1990 was nearing , but Govt found him indispensable  contrary to Govt norms that no one is indispensable.

He was asked to continue as CMD of Konkan Rly Corporation  , Govt ' first Railways  project on BOT basis from Bombay to Manglore . This project of 761 km  was highly challenging  involving 82 km tunnelling work (93 tunnels) , 150 Bridges  .His expertise in before- time completion of projects was evident from fact that such mega project in difficult terrain came into operation after about 7yrs from day of start.

(to be continued)

Last edited by vikram.jeet on Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.SREEDHARAN  (1930 - still active)
(in continuation from previous post)

He was serving Govt even after superannuation  and was  67 yrs  in 1997 , when on completion of  mega Konkan Rly  Project ,  E SREEDHARAN  Sir was once again asked to provide his services  for yet another major assignment of  Delhi Metro Rail Work as MD of DMRC.  He was given special  powers to execute the first of its kind Metro  Rly Project in densely habitated city of  Delhi  & NCR requiring not only techno- commercial  expertise , but problems of land acquisition , Delhi's traffic situation , Agencies management both at design Consultancy level as well as as Procurement ,  Construction and Quality  fronts .

After  completion of first phase of Delhi Metro in 2005 , Sri Sreedharan  announced that he would retire , but Govt still needed him for second phase , and this time again , he agreed to work upto completion of second phase . He finally retired in 2011 at age of 81 yrs , but his expertise was needed at other city Metros for which he supported  as advisor and still advising .

He was conferred  with many awards and recognitions , list very long but just to name few , Padam Shri in 2001 and Padma Vibhushan in 2008 from GOI. Time Magzine titled him as "Asia ' s Hero".

At this age of 92 yrs , he is still a lighthouse of Metro Project Management .
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof ANAND SWARUP ARYA (1931 - 2019)

Born in United Province (now Uttar Pradesh ) in Un -divided India during British Rule , A S Arya was rare Professor ,  competent academic administrator ,  scholar with inborn genius and a selfless mentor. He is known for his expertise  in  Soil foundation engg and Earthquake Disaster Management.

Being an intelligent student from his school days , young Anand was destined to rise .Living closer to Mecca of Civil Engg I.e. Roorkee University , his first choice was Civil engg. and completed BE in 1954 , also pursued ME from Roorkee University. Love for further studies landed him in Illinois University to pursue Doctoral degree , completing in 1961.

He wanted to serve an institution in Motherland from where he graduated I.e Roorkee  University  and returned to India. He  was immediately absorbed there as Faculty member. Prof  A S Arya served University of Roorkee for 36 years till his retirement in 1989.

(to be continued)
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROF. A S ARYA  (1931-2019)
(Continued from previous post)

Professor Arya's zeal to mentor Students from India and Abroad  kept  him at Roorkee University  Faculty throughout his long career span of 36 years where he served at various positions . He was Professor , and became HOD of in  EQ Engg Department  in 1971. He was elevated to level of Pro- Vice Chancellor in 1988 and retired in 1989. In view of his high  contributions and services   to  Roorkee University , he was given life long position as Professor  Emeritus at University.

His specialization in Earthquake Engg and EQ Disaster Management  made him a unique asset ,not only  in our  Country but  World wide. He  pursued to establish INDIAN SOCIETY OF  EQ TECHNOLOGY  (ISET) i .  He also convinced University  to start a  PG Course on EQ in 1963 at Department  of EQ Engg.

Prof Arya served ISET as it's Secretary (1965-68 ) , VP (72-79)  and President (79 - 83) two terms.

(to be continued)
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof  A S  Arya (1931- 2021 )
(Continued from previous posts)

Prof  Arya 's dedication and untiring efforts to improve EQ resistance  of Non - Engineered  & Low cost masonry Buildings and their retrofitting  post EQ is highly acknowledged  by GOI . He was conferred with Padam Shri  in year 2002.
He was also awarded with UN Sasakawa Disaster Prevention Award in 1997 at International arena. He was also a recipient of Khosla National Award for Disaster Mitigation.

Prof Arya  was Chairman BIS on EQ  Engg. He was instrumental in revising BIS Codes on EQ  namely IS1893 , IS 4326 , IS 4967 and more.

He was a great mentor and ready to help without any gain .

I personally attended a two weeks Course on detailing of RCC structures conducted by Continuing  Education Deptt of Roorkee University where got chance to meet Prof AS Arya  in 1986 . His deliberations were Class apart.

He died in 2021 at Gaziabad (U.P) , but his contributions  to EQ Engg  and Disaster Mitigation enlive for long.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: