www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

COLD FORMED Z PURLIN DESIGN TO IS801
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakumar79

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: COLD FORMED Z PURLIN DESIGN TO IS801 Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,
    I am attaching herewith spreadsheet for design of Z shaped cold formed section as per IS801.

Some notes on the features:
1. Automatically calculates Approximate Section properties of purlin (Area, Ixx, Iyy, Zxx, Zyy, weight) based on geometry - these can be used or you can enter values obtained from manufacturer.
2. Can be used to design girts or cladding runners by setting large rise and low span (angle will be close to 90) and then cancelling live load.
3. Can add additional dead loads and additional live loads.

Some notes on the limitations:
1. Section Properties Check based on Section 9 of B:5950 Part 5 is a guideline and not mandatory     . Hence, Design is considered Safe even if above check only is not okay but all other checks are okay     
2. Currently, this design only works if full width is effective. If full width is not effective,  this spreadsheet will report Failure in Stress Check     
3. Not suitable currently for curved roofs.               
4. Design is not suitable for varying spans of purlins (varying truss spacing)

Finally,
1. I request the other sefians to give their comments, especially those who work with Z Purlin designs a lot regarding the design procedure. Please comment whether it is okay, any check is missing, incorrect, etc...
2. It is free for all sefians to use. The standard software disclaimers holds true for this - while I have done my best to make sure the program is error free, I cannot be held liable for any problem arising due to its usage...
3. I have locked the document for sake of preventing unintentional editing of formulae... But no password is required to unlock and edit it if you want to correct it or add features, etc...
4. The file is an ODS File created using LibreOffice. The file is inherently supported by OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice both of which are free. The file does work with MS Excel newer versions though formatting may be messed up (I must confess that the report format as I have made is not that great either). I would recommend that users of MS Office may download and install either of the two above software and then save it as Excel file and then open in MS Office. I could have done the above myself but I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce sefians to the above software... Both are free and full fledged alternatives to MS Office. People who are using pirated versions of MS Office may try them as they can perform almost all tasks just as well as MS Office (and sometimes better).

S. Arunkumar

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
ZPurlinR1.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ZPurlinR1.zip
 Filesize:  33.96 KB
 Downloaded:  8246 Time(s)

Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
sakumar79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,
   It is disheartening to see that despite 200+views and nearly 100 downloads, I have not received a single comment, positive or negative. I request sefians to post their thoughts and corrections on the spreadsheet.

I am planning in next stage to convert the spreadsheet into a program which can (1) Check a selected purlin for safety, (2) go through a database of specific manufacturer specified sizes to recommend optimal solution, and (3) Go through all manufacturers databases and recommend optimal solution(s).

Yours sincerely,
Arunkumar
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er.Arunkumar,
Do not get upset since this is usual in this forum as there is a tendency to take things  but no comments. Do not get discouraged and go ahead with your work.

Since I downloaded to day I will let you know about the xls sheet.

T.Rangarajan.
sandeep_chauhan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Mr Kumar,

Good work done by you

Keep it up
sakumar79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Sandeep Chauhan,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your appreciation.

Yours sincerely,
Arunkumar
sandeep_chauhan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr Kumar,
I am working with a Manufacturer of Pre-Engineered Buildings.

I have see your Z-purlin design sheet.
Its a very good spreadsheet.

we are studying your sheet and hope in future we will use your spread sheet in our future z-purlin design.

Thanks

Sandeep Chauhan.
sandeep_chauhan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr Kumar,

Nice one !

Last edited by sandeep_chauhan on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
naga
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear arun kumar,
it is very good work and it is useful to all designers. go head with your future work.
good luck

malleswara rao
hemant_yadav
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Doubts regarding section properties of purlin Reply with quote

Approximate Geometric Properties
Assumed Vertical Lips and Bending Radius disregarded
Each Lip Area 40.71 sqmm
Each Flange Area 138 sqmm
Web Area 449.42 sqmm
Ixx of each lip, indiv. 1062.84 mm4
Ixx of each flange, indiv 60.84 mm4
Ixx of web 1429948.08 mm4
Iyy of each lip, indiv. 17.95 mm4
Iyy of each flange, indiv 41400.00 mm4
Iyy of web 198.12 mm4

Can you please tell us how you calculated approximate geometric properties??
What is Bending moment coefficients: Use 8 for single/two spans,10 for 3 or more spans?
sakumar79

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

1. The formula for the Ixx, Iyy, etc are in the spreadsheet - you can look it up yourself. They are based on the user input dimensions of the geometry of the purlin. If the manufacturer has not given the sectional properties of the purlin like Ixx, Iyy, etc, the program gives an approximation of the same. This is also useful where you want to optimise the size of the purlin and the purlin vendor is ready to create purlin to your specifications...

2. For Bending moment in single span beams, we use WL^2/8 and for continuous beams, we use WL^2/10 as critical values. This coefficient is to be entered. Based on that, it will also determine the coefficient for calculation of deflection. Do note that for continuous purlins, the splice/lap provided at each truss should be rigid enough to transfer the moment.

Yours sincerely,
S. Arunkumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: