|Dr. N. Subramanian
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.
|Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:50 pm Post subject: Prof. James K.Wight elected as the President of ACI
|Prof. James K.Wight elected as the President of ACI
Those of you working in the field of Reinforced Concrete would have come across the name of Prof. James K.Wight-who has done considerable research in RC elements. He was the Chairman of the committee, which revised the 2005 ACI 318 code.
ACI has announced that James K. Wight was elected to serve as president of the Institute for 2012-2013, while Mr. William E. Rushing Jr. has been elected ACI vice president and Anne M. Ellis is now the Institute's senior vice president, all for a two-year term. Four members have also been elected to serve on the ACI Board of Direction, each for three year terms.
James K. Wight, FACI and FASCE, is the Frank E. Richart Jr. Collegiate Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. He has been a Professor in the structural engineering area of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department since September 1973, where he teaches undergraduate and graduate classes on structural analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures. Wight received his BS and MS in civil engineering from Michigan State University in 1969 and 1970, and his PhD from the University of Illinois in 1973.
Wight is well known both nationally and internationally for his work in earthquake-resistant design of concrete structures.
His more recent research has concentrated on the strength and inelastic behavior of connections in composite structures (reinforced concrete and steel) and the use of high-performance fiber-reinforced concrete composites for earthquake-resistant design of critical members in concrete structures. He spent a one-year sabbatical leave (1980-81) in Japan and was involved in the construction and simulated earthquake testing of a full-scale reinforced concrete building. He has been involved with post-earthquake damage studies following earthquakes in Mexico, Chile, Armenia, Egypt, California, Japan, and India.
At the University of Michigan, Wight has received awards for his teaching and service, including the ASCE Student Chapter Teacher of the Year Award (Eight times), the College of Engineering's Distinguished Service and Teaching Excellence Awards, the Rackham Graduate School Distinguished Graduate Mentor Award, the State of Michigan Award for Outstanding Teaching and the Chi Epsilon-Great Lakes District Excellence in Teaching Award.. He has also received distinguished alumni awards from the Civil and Environmental Engineering Departments of the University of Illinois and Michigan State University.
ACI Activities and Awards
An active member of ACI since 1973, Wight was named a Fellow of the Institute in 1984 and previously served on the ACI Board of Direction. He is a past Chair of the ACI Technical Activities Committee; ACI Building Code Committee 318, Structural Concrete Building Code; and Joint ACI-ASCE Committee 352, Joints and Connections in Monolithic Concrete Structures. He is a Past President of the ACI Greater Michigan Chapter and a former member of the ACI Board of Directors.
ACI has honored him with the Delmar L. Bloem Distinguished Service Award (1991), the Joe W. Kelly Award for outstanding efforts for the education of students in design of reinforced concrete structures (1999),, the Arthur J. Boase Award for outstanding accomplishments in research, teaching and service in the field of structural concrete (2002), the Alfred E. Lindau Award, the Chester Paul Siess Award and the Structural Research Award (2003) for a paper he co-authored with his former student, Professor Carlos G. Quintero-Febres, and the Wason Medal for the Most Meritorious Paper in 2011. He has also received the Arthur Y. Moy Award from the ACI Greater Michigan Chapter for outstanding service in the field of concrete technology.
He is the co-author of the well established book on RC Design "
Reinforced Concrete: Mechanics and Design, which is in its sixth edition. This book was originally authored by another outstanding structural engineer and researcher Prof.
James G. MacGregor (who also is a past President of ACI and chaired several ACI & Canadian code committees).
Some of his research papers include the following:
- Wight, J.K., and Parra-Montesinos, G. (2003). Use of strut and tie model for deep beam design as per ACI 318 code, ACI Concrete International, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 63-70
- Aguilar, G., Matamoros, A., Parra-Montesinos, G., Ramirez, J.A. and Wight, J.K. (2002), Experimental and Analytical Evaluation of Design Procedures for Shear Strength of Deep Reinforced Concrete Beams, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 99, No. 4, pp. 539-548.
- LaFave, J.M. and Wight, J.K. (2001), Reinforced Concrete Wide-Beam Construction vs. Conventional Construction: Resistance to Lateral Earthquake Loads, Earthquake Spectra, EERI, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 479-505.
- Quintero-Febres, C.G. and Wight, J.K. (2001), Experimental Study of Reinforced Concrete Interior Wide Beam-Column Connections Subjected to Lateral Loading, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 98, No. 4, pp. 572-582.
- Parra-Montesinos, G. and Wight, J. K. (2001). Modeling shear behavior of hybrid RCS beam-column connections, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 127, No. 1, 3-11.
- Wight, James K., Parra-Montesinos, G., and Canbolat, B.A. (2003). Seismic behavior of high-performance fiber reinforced cement composite coupling beams, Otani Symposium 2003, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 357-372.
- Parra-Montesinos, Gustavo and Wight, James K. (2000), "Seismic Response of Exterior RC Column-to-Steel Beam Connections," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 126, No. 10, pp. 1113-1121.
- Hueste, M.B.D. and Wight, J.K. (1999), Nonlinear Punching Shear Failure Model for Interior Slab-Column Connections, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 125, No. 9, Sept. 1999, pp. 997-1008.
- Hueste, M.B.D. and Wight, J.K. (1997), Evaluation of a Four-Story Reinforced Concrete Building Damaged During the Northridge Earthquake, Earthquake Spectra, EERI, Vol. 13, No. 3, August 1997, pp. 387-414.
- Wight, J.K., Wood, S.L., Moehle, J.P., and Wallace, J.W. (1996), "On Design Requirements for Reinforced Concrete Structural Walls", Mete A. Symposium (SP-162), American Conc. Inst., pp. 431-456.