www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

how to ensure columns are vertical & aligned??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PujanG
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: how to ensure columns are vertical & aligned?? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new to practicing engineering. I've come across minute things in practice , which we generally overlook during studies, that become great hindrance during construction.

Problem is: I'm unsure about the verticality of columns and their alignment. It's easier to assume a vertical column for design purpose but here I see it's rather hard to ensure so.

I request the experienced personnel put light on how the alignment & verticality of column is ensured during construction.

Thank you!

PS:
Condition is: Foundation has to be laid & column reinforcement be placed on it and ensured it's vertical & aligned prior to applying form-work & concreting.
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: how to ensure columns are vertical & aligned?? Reply with quote

Dear Mr Pujan,

Simple Plum bob will show whether the column is vertical or not! The instrument has been used since  the time of ancient Egypt to ensure that constructions are "plumb", or vertical.

Best wishes
NS

PujanG wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to practicing engineering. I've come across minute things in practice , which we generally overlook during studies, that become great hindrance during construction.

Problem is: I'm unsure about the verticality of columns and their alignment. It's easier to assume a vertical column for design purpose but here I see it's rather hard to ensure so.

I request the experienced personnel put light on how the alignment & verticality of column is ensured during construction.

Thank you!

PS:
Condition is: Foundation has to be laid & column reinforcement be placed on it and ensured it's vertical & aligned prior to applying form-work & concreting.

23 Napa Valley Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20878 USA
<p>

</p>
(cdcstruct.com)
PujanG
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir!
a-n-k-u-r
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As SIr has Said ,
the veritcality of columns  needs to be checked using plumb bob . or if in case  one is not having at that instant of checking one can use  a tape , stone connected with thread. two rods coming out from on each face of the column shuttering.

During checking , drop the stone from the rods attached  and check the distance from the shuttering, on the top, bottom and middle  .
they should come equal or with an error of 4-5 mm as stated in the SOW .

Ankur Dubey
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
The verticality of a column needs to be checked using a plumb bob over the formwork box just before casting. It should be done preferably at the four faces of the box ( or at least two adjacent sides). It should again be checked after casting the column to check and rectify the loss in plumb due to the possible tilt of the box during compaction by vibrator etc.

Regards,
ES Jayakumar
spsvasan

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Pujan

The verticality of the column shall be checked as indicated by the various engineers. In addition, you have to ensure proper alignment of the columns.

For this, after the plinth beams are cast and after each floor slab is cast, starters or kickers are cast. This is a 75mm height of column. Good quality rigid shuttering is provided for starters. The correct locations of the columns are marked on the slab or over the plinth beam. The kicker shutters are then fixed at the correct theoretical locations and concreted.  Usually all starters along one line are cast together.

Once the starters are in correct position, checking of plumb is sufficient to ensure that the columns are in correct position and to plumb.

At each floor level the starters have to be cast.

With best wishes
S.P.Srinivasan
Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Freshers' Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: