www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

AXIAL DEFORMATION OF COLUMN IN TALL STRUCTURES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> E-Conference on Tall Buildings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er.Mallick,

Very great effort and good job and I on behalf of Sefians appreciate the long beautiful narration of the important technical aspect.

As you have concluded my note is:
1. Send the list of References and books for your article.
2. In the computation you have used many parameters and constants. Give the explanation of those which are missed in the same.

I will be sending the PDF file as it is concluded to your mail ID and you can submit as a whole or if the attend the remarks as noted by me and others and if they  are to be included you mention it I will add to it.

Thanks,

With Best regards,

T.RangaRajan.

Note:
Sarcastic Commenting is easy but it is easy to write up like this who laugh at you. Do not mind them.
P.K.Mallick
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

References are as follows:

a) Dissertation for award of M.Tech submitted at School of Continuing and Distance Education Jawaharlal Nehru Technological  University ,Hyderabad by P.K.Mallick under the guidance of (Late) Prof I.M.Reddy.

b) Ghali.A and Favre.R "Concrete Structures: Stresses and Deformation" Chapman and Hall,London.

c) Neville.A.M and Brooks.J.J (1944) "Concrete Technology" Longman Singapore Publishers.

d) Smolira.M "Analysis of tall buildings by Force-Displacement Method" McGraw Hill,London.

e) Park.R and Paulay.T(1975) "Reinforced Concrete Structures" John Wiley and Sons,New York.

f) ACI 209R-92 (Reapproved in 1997) Prediction of Creep ,Shrinkage and Temperature effects in Concrete Structures.

g) Fintel.M and Khan.R (1969)-Effect of column creep and shrinkage in tall structures-Prediction of inelastic column shortening.ACI Journal Proceedings,V.66,no-12,Dec 1969.

h) Samra.R.M.(1995) "New Analysis for Creep behaviour in Concrete Columns" Journal of Structural Engineering.March 1995.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Att: All Sefians.

AS per Er.P.K.Mallick's wishes I am attaching the PDF file with all his write up in one file. This is for the convenience of all Sefians who wish to read the write up in continuous pages.

T.RangaRajan.

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
AXIAL DEFORMATION OF COLUMN IN TALL STRUCTURESfinal1.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AXIAL DEFORMATION OF COLUMN IN TALL STRUCTURESfinal1.pdf
 Filesize:  317.35 KB
 Downloaded:  6005 Time(s)

swamikrishnan
E-Conference Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Controlling creep deformations Reply with quote

I would like to add a couple of points to Er. Mallick's detailed exposition on the topic:

1.  The greater the degree of hydration of the cement at the time of load application, the lower the rate and total amount of creep, i.e., the more the time you give the concrete to cure, the lower the creep.  For example, 4 inch x 14 inch cylinders loaded to 900psi at 3 months underwent creep that was about 20% less than similar cylinders loaded at 28 days at the end of 10 years of sustained loading.  Ref:  Composition and Properties of Concrete, Troxell, Davis, and Kelly.

2.  This means that construction sequencing and scheduling play a critical role in controlling creep deformations.  This is another reason for the structural engineer to be very much involved in the construction process and work closely with the contractor (to minimize creep deformations and other deformations such as differential settlement between the core and the perimeter, etc.).  In order to realize robust tall buildings, structural engineers must engage with the Architects very early on in the planning/schematic design process to avoid known vulnerabilities such as soft stories, and monitor, guide, and inform the construction process working closely with the contractor until the building is topped out, well after the construction documents are submitted.

3.  The use of composite columns (steel sections embedded within concrete or concrete-filled steel box sections) must be considered to control creep in super-highrise buildings.

Swaminathan Krishnan
California Institute of Technology
http://krishnan.caltech.edu

P.K.Mallick wrote:

a) Dissertation for award of M.Tech submitted at School of Continuing and Distance Education Jawaharlal Nehru Technological  University ,Hyderabad by P.K.Mallick under the guidance of (Late) Prof I.M.Reddy.

b) Ghali.A and Favre.R "Concrete Structures: Stresses and Deformation" Chapman and Hall,London.

c) Neville.A.M and Brooks.J.J (1944) "Concrete Technology" Longman Singapore Publishers.

d) Smolira.M "Analysis of tall buildings by Force-Displacement Method" McGraw Hill,London.

e) Park.R and Paulay.T(1975) "Reinforced Concrete Structures" John Wiley and Sons,New York.

f) ACI 209R-92 (Reapproved in 1997) Prediction of Creep ,Shrinkage and Temperature effects in Concrete Structures.

g) Fintel.M and Khan.R (1969)-Effect of column creep and shrinkage in tall structures-Prediction of inelastic column shortening.ACI Journal Proceedings,V.66,no-12,Dec 1969.

h) Samra.R.M.(1995) "New Analysis for Creep behaviour in Concrete Columns" Journal of Structural Engineering.March 1995.
cckeshav
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: AXIAL DEFORMATION OF COLUMN IN TALL STRUCTURES Reply with quote

Dear SEFIans:

Creep of columns under axial load is important. However, the same can be controlled by proper design of reinforcement. Probably by apportioning some amout of reinforcement to cater for load redistribution due to creep of concrete we can control creep. This is similar to the control provided by composite columns.

C.Channakeshava

Subject: [E-CONF] Re: AXIAL DEFORMATION OF COLUMN IN TALL STRUCTURES
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 14:13:15 +0530
To: econf34289@sefindia.org

I would like to add a couple of points to Er. Mallick's detailed exposition on the topic:

1. The greater the degree of hydration of the cement at the time of load application, the lower the rate and total amount of creep, i.e., the more the time you give the concrete to cure, the lower the creep. For example, 4 inch x 14 inch cylinders loaded to 900psi at 3 months underwent creep that was about 20% less than similar cylinders loaded at 28 days at the end of 10 years of sustained loading. Ref: Composition and Properties of Concrete, Troxell, Davis, and Kelly.

2. This means that construction sequencing and scheduling play a critical role in controlling creep deformations. This is another reason for the structural engineer to be very much involved in the construction process and work closely with the contractor (to minimize creep deformations and other deformations such as differential settlement between the core and the perimeter, etc.). In order to realize robust tall buildings, structural engineers must engage with the Architects very early on in the planning/schematic design process to avoid known vulnerabilities such as soft stories, and monitor, guide, and inform the construction process working closely with the contractor until the building is topped out, well after the construction documents are submitted.

3. The use of composite columns (steel sections embedded within concrete or concrete-filled steel box sections) must be considered to control creep in super-highrise buildings.

Swaminathan Krishnan
California Institute of Technology
http://krishnan.caltech.edu

P.K.Mallick wrote:  References are as follows:

a) Dissertation for award of M.Tech submitted at School of Continuing and Distance Education Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University ,Hyderabad by P.K.Mallick under the guidance of (Late) Prof I.M.Reddy.

Posted via Email
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Mallick,

Glad to note that you have written this note based on your M.Tech. thesis at JNTU, Hyderabad. Since you requested some latest papers on the topic I am giving below a few:

Prof.Thambiratnam of Australia and his associates have published two papers in 2009 and 2010:
http://eprints.qut.edu.au/34190/1/c34190.pdf
http://eprints.qut.edu.au/20369/1/20369.pdf

The paper by Italian researchers may be found at:
http://ww2.integer.it/Web_1/database_locale/Fib%20Praga_2011
/pdf/174%20653%20374%203%20Casalegno%20Le.pdf

I am also enclosing a paper which discusses about the steps taken in Bhrj Dubai- the tallest Building in the World.

Regards,
NS

P.K.Mallick wrote:

Use online scanners
Burj dubai-Engineering the Worlds tallest_Baker-07.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Burj dubai-Engineering the Worlds tallest_Baker-07.pdf
 Filesize:  904.45 KB
 Downloaded:  763 Time(s)

Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Mallick,

Perhaps you may be interested in the following references also:

• Gardner, N.J. Comparison of prediction provisions for drying shrinkage and creep of normal strength concretes, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 39, No 5, 2004,767-75.
  • Gardner, N. J. & Lockman, M. J (2001), Design provisions for drying shrinkage and creep and normal-strength concrete, ACI Mater. J., V. 98, No.2, pp 159167
  • Goel,R, Kumar,R & Paul,D.K (2007), comparative study of various creep and shrinkage prediction models for concrete, journal of materials in civil engineering, ASCE, pp 249-260

Best wishes & regards,
NS

P.K.Mallick wrote:

P.K.Mallick
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bijay sarkar wrote:
Dear Mr Mallick,

Two questions only as follows :

1.  In case of K4 calculation, what is 100 used, when slump is 34% ?

2.  Can you please confirm the result of K3 in case of shrinkage as 0.3678?  The equation is 1.2e(-0.00743*v/s) ?

with regards,

bijay sarkar

Sir
I have committed two typographical errors while typing out the problem.

1) In the problem statement I should have written the following:
Slump of concrete=100mm
Fine Content=34%
Instead I wrote:
Slump of concrete=34%
Fine content=34%

2) While calculating K3 ,I had written a wrong expression :

In the equation the value should be -0.00473 instead of -0.00743
(parallax error?)

Now the solution should look alright.
Thanks a lot for pointing out the errors.
Warm Regards.

P.K.Mallick
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this E-conference will come to a close within couple of hours and all the topic shall be locked, I thank everybody who had a look on this topic of AXIAL DEFORMATION OF COLUMN IN TALL STRUCTURES.
Warm Regards.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> E-Conference on Tall Buildings All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: