www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Proposed REVISION OF IS:456-2000- Inviting Comments
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Proposed REVISION OF IS:456-2000- Inviting Comments Reply with quote

Dear All,

I came to know from Mr Sanjay Pant, Director (Civil Engineering)
Bureau of Indian Standards, that they are going to take up the revision of IS 456 soon. Hence our Er Mallick proposed the idea of collecting comments from our SEFIans, which can be passed on to BIS. Hence I am starting this Tread. Please post your comments only in this tread and not in several other places.

Best wishes,
Subramanian
Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
francis chacko
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Proposed REVISION OF IS:456-2000- Inviting Comments Reply with quote

Posted via Email
hemal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Proposed REVISION OF IS:456-2000- Inviting Comments Reply with quote

Dear Sefi Members,

I hope future revision of IS:456 will include section property modifiers (i.e. for I, A etc) for various structural elements (i.e. column, shear wall, link beam, beam, slab etc of RC & PT) to account for cracking for basic guidelines.

Regards
Hemal Mistry
Surat

On Tue, 8/1/13, Dr. N. Subramanian <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: [SEFI] Proposed REVISION OF IS:456-2000- Inviting Comments
To: general@sefindia.org
Date: Tuesday, 8 January, 2013, 10:00 AM

Dear All,

I came to know from Mr Sanjay Pant, Director (Civil Engineering)
Bureau of Indian Standards, that they are going to take up the revision of IS 456 soon. Hence our Er Mallick proposed the idea of collecting comments from our SEFIans, which can be passed on to BIS. Hence I am starting this Tread. Please post your comments only in this tread and not in several other places.

Best wishes,
Subramanian

Posted via Email
Manoharbs_eq
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Really glad to hear that 456 is getting revised

my view in updating 456 would be
1) Inclusion of P-delta parameters and column length factor
2) Inclusion of flat plates
3)Design procedure for Box RCC structures
4) Min reinforcement for Rc wall and shear wall be separated.

Rgds
Manohar
abhio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My USD 0.02:

1. Improve recommendations for design of corbels and deep beams - see ACI 318 to know the difference!
  2. Provide a section on strut-and-tie modelling.
  3. Unify RCC and prestressed concrete codes.
  4. Provide recommendations, stress block etc. for ultra-high strength concretes.
  5. Provide crack width calculation method for elements under combined axial tension and bending.
  6. Provide recommendations for pozzolanic cement based concretes, high volume fly ash replacement of cement.
  7. Provide a section on anchoring to concrete - see ACI 355/ ACI 318.
brahmabul
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all many thanks to Dr NS sir for starting this topic. It is really high time that IS 456 gets revised now.

I would like to have following inclusions in the updated code:

1. Inclusion of Fe 550 and Fe 600. IS 1786 has already given the chemistry for Fe 550 and Fe 600 rebar but unless IS 456 allows its use in structural designing, it will be of no use. In SP 16 there is no design stress-strain curve for Fe 500 and Fe 600 [Ref: Fig 3 of SP 16]

Major steel producers like Tata Steel have already developed 600 grade with sufficient amount of ductility and UTS/YS ratio. It can be commercialized on a large scale only if the inclusion is made in IS 456.

2. Increasing the limit on characteristic strength of stirrup to 500 MPa. It is right now limited at 415 MPa [Ref: Cl.26.5.1.6]

Last edited by brahmabul on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:31 am; edited 3 times in total
sunilgurtoo
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Proposed REVISION OF IS:456-2000- Inviting Comments Reply with quote

Dear SEFI members,

For the Flat Plat Construction, IS codes should include the use of STUD Rails /Punching Shear Reinforcement which is mostly used as per US codes In us and other parts of the world.
I have seen lot of stuff from internet for the stud rail and punching shear reinforcement technology, but IS codes being the main governing guidelines, it should include the same.
Regards,
Sunil Gurtoo
pune

Sent: 09 January 2013 17:47
To: general@sefindia.org
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Proposed REVISION OF IS:456-2000- Inviting Comments

Dear Sefi Members,

I hope future revision of IS:456 will include section property modifiers (i.e. for I, A etc) for various structural elements (i.e. column, shear wall, link beam, beam, slab etc of RC & PT) to account for cracking for basic guidelines.

Regards
Hemal Mistry
Surat

On Tue, 8/1/13, Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
--auto removed--

Posted via Email

~WRD000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  823 Bytes
 Viewed:  2367 Time(s)

~WRD000.jpg

sunny
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Proposed REVISION OF IS:456-2000- Inviting Comments Reply with quote

Dear subramanian sir,
I just want to ask that,last month we had very effective session on Tall Buildings.
Is there any conclusion/summary sheet with us?  
If yes than can you provide that to all sefians??
Regards,
Kunal Talsania
Structural Design Engineer On Jan 9, 2013 5:49 PM, "hemal" <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:[quote]            Dear Sefi Members,

Regards
Hemal Mistry
Surat

On Tue, 8/1/13, Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
      --auto removed--

Posted via Email
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All,

when giving comments, is it not better to include IS 456 Clause, so that it is easy for those at BIS?

Dear Er Manohar,
1) Inclusion of P-delta parameters and column length factor- What do you mean by Column length factor?
2) Inclusion of flat plates- Flat plates are there in Clause 31.
3)Design procedure for Box RCC structures - Since Box sections are often used in bridges, I am not sure whether provisions will be added. But it will be good if they consider including it.

Best wishes,
NS
brahmabul wrote:
First of all many thanks to Dr NS sir for starting this topic. It is really high time that IS 456 gets revised now.

I would like to have following inclusions in the updated code:

1. Inclusion of Fe 600. IS 1786 has already given the chemistry for Fe 600 rebar but unless IS 456 allows its use in structural designing, it will be of no use. In SP 16 there is no design stress-strain curve for Fe 600.

2. Increasing the limit on steel grade for stirrups to 500 MPa. It is right now limited at 415 MPa.
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Proposed REVISION OF IS:456-2000- Inviting Comments Reply with quote

Dear Er Hemal,

I have asked Er Sanjeev about it. He will reply soon.

Best wishes,
NS

[quote="sunny"]Dear subramanian sir,
I just want to ask that,last month we had very effective session on Tall Buildings.
Is there any conclusion/summary sheet with us?  
If yes than can you provide that to all sefians??
Regards,
Kunal Talsania
Structural Design Engineer On Jan 9, 2013 5:49 PM, "hemal" <forum> wrote:
Quote:
             Dear Sefi Members,

Regards
Hemal Mistry
Surat

On Tue, 8/1/13, Dr. N. Subramanian  wrote:
      --auto removed--

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: