www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Reference for design of multi-storey buildings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pallavi23
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reference for design of multi-storey buildings Reply with quote

Hello all! I am a 3rd year engineering student. I am interested in learning design of multi-storey buildings. Can anyone please give me any references or books for the same?

Probably my knowledge level is not that much at the present stage to understand the concepts. But I am hoping that when I graduate I am able to design some multi-storey building or even a small residential home for starters.

Looking forward for a reply.
B.V.Harsoda
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer below link for study Design Example of Six Storey Building from NICEE :-
by
Dr. H. J. Shah
Department of Applied Mechanics
M. S. University of Baroda
Vadodara

Dr. Sudhir K Jain
Department of Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur

Kanpur  
Design Example of a Building
http://www.iitk.ac.in/nicee/IITK-GSDMA/EQ26.pdf

Best Wishes,
B. V. Harsoda
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reference for design of multi-storey buildings Reply with quote

Dear Ms Pallavi,

The reference given by Er Hardodaji will be a good starting point. You may also browse the proceedings of the recently concluded e-conference on Tall buildings, where Er Rangarajanji has given many references.

http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13235

Also see:
http://ethesis.nitrkl.ac.in/4250/1/Computer_Aided_Analysis_and_Design_of_Multi-Storeyed_Buildings.pdf

The following document talks about Steel multi-storey buildings:
http://www.steel-insdag.org/TeachingMaterial/chapter37.pdf

There is also another Indian book
Structural Design Of Multi Storeyed Buildings
Publisher:      SOUTH ASIAN PUBLISHERS

I appreciate your efforts to acquire knowledge!

Best wishes,

NS

pallavi23 wrote:
Hello all! I am a 3rd year engineering student. I am interested in learning design of multi-storey buildings. Can anyone please give me any references or books for the same?

Probably my knowledge level is not that much at the present stage to understand the concepts. But I am hoping that when I graduate I am able to design some multi-storey building or even a small residential home for starters.

Looking forward for a reply.
rajancivildesign@gmail.co

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
A lot of books  are available on Multi storey building. Important one is Reinforced Concrete volume-II by H.J.SHAH. Recently he revised the book on May 2012. Illustrate Design of (G+3) by S.R.Karve and Shah. Another CPWD manual on Planning Analysis of Multi Storeyed Building Vol. I & II available in net. Maharastra PWD manual on RCC Design is good for fixing Column, Beam and slab location. Another book on "Planing Analysis and Design of Multi storeyed building by Tamil Nadu PWD Association.
Guidlines on Design and Construction of Buildings for Tsunami by Tamil Nadu Govt.
V.M.RAJAN
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book mentioned  below is a small but good one for beginners.

Rajan Sir,

How to obtain Maharashtra PWD & Tamilnadu PWD design books ?

Regards,

E S Jayakumar

Basic Principles of Analysis and Design of an RCC Framed Structures
Prof. H. R. Surya Prakash
S. Krishna Murthy
ISBN : 978-93-80386-70-6
Edition : First, 2010
Pages : 112
Price :
Rs.

About the Book:
The book provides a three-pronged solution and bridges the space between engineering theory and practice. All conceivable structural configurations, rights from foundation roof have been incorporated to facilitate understanding of role and performance of various RCC elements in a structure. In short, this book is an excellent tool to fully comprehend the entire RCC design methodology. Students of final year Civil Engineering can use this book as a reference guide to prepare for their project work.
  About the Author:
Prof. H.R. Surya Prakash was formerly the head of the Department of Civil Engineering (both post-graduate and under-graduate studies) at BMS College of Engineering in Bangalore, an affiliate of Visweswaraya Technological University. At BMS College of Engineering, he taught various courses in the Departments of Civil Engineering and Architecture for over four decades, and guided numerous graduate and under-graduate level research projects. In addition to his experience in academics, he has extensive experience in designing high-rise towers and buildings, bridges, and other structures. As a senior structural engineering consultant at GERAME structural engineers in Bangalore, he made significant contributions to the structural design of the 238-metre tall New Delhi TV tower, several multi-storied buildings, movie theaters, and many other structures. He has also published several papers in international conferences and symposiums. He currently holds the position of Liaison Officer for Academics in the International Communications Department at BMS College of Engineering.
S. Krishna Murthy is currently Principal consultant at DIXCONS, Consulting Engineers, Bangalore. Formerly he served as lecturer in the Department of Civil Engineering at BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore from 1984 to 1988 and as Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at Sir M. Visweswaraya Institute of Technology, Bangalore from 1988 to 2002.
In addition to academic experience, he has extensive experience in designing High-Rise Structures, Malls, Multiplex Theaters, Institutional Buildings, Industrial Buildings and Prestressed Concrete Pipes. He is also involved in conducting professional training programme for upcoming Structural Engineers.
  Contents:
1.    Design Principles of RCC Structures
2.    Loads on Structure
3.    Material Used in RC Structures
4.    Characteristic Strength and Load
5.    Classification of Beams
6.    Bending Moment and Shear Force
7.    Sign Conventions
8.    Relation between Shear Force and Bending Moment
9.    Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams for Statically Determinate Structure
10.  Shear Force and Bending Moment Diagrams for Statically Indeterminate Structure
11.  Methods of Design
12.  Design Example (RCC Framed Structure)
       Index
  Subjects:

Basic Principles of Analysis and Design of an RCC Framed Structures
Prof. H. R. Surya Prakash
S. Krishna Murthy
ISBN : 978-93-80386-70-6
Edition : First, 2010
Pages : 112
Price :
Rs.
syed_A

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All
Following link may be useful for this topic
http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11987&highlight=pwd
regards
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Jayakumar,

As I informed you already contact PWD Association office at Chepauk, Chennai to get the books published by them. Perhaps someone in Chennai, like Er Tamilarasan can provide the phone number.

Regards,
NS
[quote="es_jayakumar"]The book mentioned  below is a small but good one for beginners.

Rajan Sir,

How to obtain Maharashtra PWD & Tamilnadu PWD design books ?

Regards,

E S Jayakumar

Last edited by Dr. N. Subramanian on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
pallavi23
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much everyone. Did not expect that so many references will be given. I really am thankful to you all.
Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Freshers' Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: