www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Structural Design using Excell Spread sheet
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajancivildesign@gmail.co

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Structural Design using Excell Spread sheet Reply with quote

A lot of structural Engineers are available in this forum who can have good sound knowledge in the structural field. We normally do the analysis using software like Staad Pro or ETABS. Some Engineers use comonent design of RCC using SAFE or some commercial software. Most of the engineers prefer Excell spread sheet for component design of RCC. In this forum many of them contribute many rcc excell sheets. They are scattered and not effectively used by many of the SAFIANS. It is suggested to post in sticy Excell sheet for RCC Design. Many of the Engineers can contribute more on Excell sheet they validated or they followed in their day to day use. As a start, I attached herewith simple design of Box culvert, which is modelled by simple model in Staad Pro using manual calculation.
V.M.RAJAN.

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
Box culvert.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Box culvert.zip
 Filesize:  55.26 KB
 Downloaded:  7668 Time(s)

Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
gpsarathyy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Rajan,
Thanks for posting the box culvert design excel and staad file.
In the attached staad file, the idealization of supports to be reviewed. Supports are assigned as fixed, it shall be assigned as  pinned supports and the loads to be calculated and applied such that support reaction becomes zero.
Since the box culvert is a self stabilized structure and there is no external support is required or given (fixed/pinned support) this we are giving in staad for satisfying the boundary conditions but in real case no support will be there.
My point is to highlight correction in the staad file only, I will also support his opinion of having separate sticky subject for excels.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Box culvert Design Reply with quote

Dear Parthasarathy Sir,
Thank you for the correction indicated in Staad file. Actually  in Staad Box culvert is modelled  as plate in FEM and analyse for the standard loads. For simplification, I take it as 1m width and analyse for the load.
RCC Excell sheet design  for slab, beam, column , footing is attached for reference.
This Excell sheet is compilation only and not created by me.
V.M.RAJAN

Use online scanners
RCC Design.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RCC Design.xls
 Filesize:  888.5 KB
 Downloaded:  6242 Time(s)

Sudhakaran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear gpsarathyy sir and rajan sir,

one more thing in staad file, That is

The analysis(Loads) not done for worst conditions..

side walls : Side walls would be tested in the following two critical conditions
(a)High flood in the drain while barrels are empty
(b)No water in the drain while barrels are full

Top slab :The loads considered for design of top slab are :
(a) Earth load,
(b) Weight of water below saturation line
(c)live load due to traffic shall be considered.

gpsarathyy wrote:
Dear Mr. Rajan,
Thanks for posting the box culvert design excel and staad file.
In the attached staad file, the idealization of supports to be reviewed. Supports are assigned as fixed, it shall be assigned as  pinned supports and the loads to be calculated and applied such that support reaction becomes zero.
Since the box culvert is a self stabilized structure and there is no external support is required or given (fixed/pinned support) this we are giving in staad for satisfying the boundary conditions but in real case no support will be there.
My point is to highlight correction in the staad file only, I will also support his opinion of having separate sticky subject for excels.
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Box culvert Design Reply with quote

Dear Mr Rajan,

For the bottom slab we generally divide it in to various parts and then apply the springs..

Also I want to know why that upward pressure is applied at bottom slab...is it the water pressure...if so is it correct to apply it in this way.

Regards,
S Adhikari
Sudhakaran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Box culvert Design Reply with quote

Sir,
I seems, it is soil base pressure.  which will be equal to total downward pressure. In the above model it will be 45.396 kN and in this case  the box will sunken to the earth and bottom slab will fail, since the base pressure(SBC) is 15.64kN while removing the fixed support provided in the model

Hence the base pressure should be equal to downward pressure.

sukanta.adhikari wrote:
Dear Mr Rajan,

For the bottom slab we generally divide it in to various parts and then apply the springs..

Also I want to know why that upward pressure is applied at bottom slab...is it the water pressure...if so is it correct to apply it in this way.

Regards,
S Adhikari

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Box culvert design in Excell Reply with quote

Sir,
I have designed this box culvert for cable duct for a road crossing. Actuvally I have made simple model to understand the under ground  cable duct design. I try to model in Staad using FEM plate element. I completed the model. I have to apply support by spring constant and other applicable loads. Thank you for  the valuable comments.
V.M.RAJAN.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: One Way Slab design Reply with quote

I herewith attached various  condition on oneway slab design in Excell  for reference.
V.M.RAJAN

Use online scanners
5span Conti- 1way slab.XLS
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  5span Conti- 1way slab.XLS
 Filesize:  133 KB
 Downloaded:  3828 Time(s)

es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rajan Sir,

Do you have an excel sheet or any other program for the design (not analysis) of an RCC slab section for a known moment, including deflection check ? The input will be the moment per metre width, thickness, grades of concrete & steel and shorter span length & support conditions (simply supported, continuous or cantilever) for deflection check. The output will be the area of steel per metre width for the specified moment, minimum steel for flexure, distributor steel and whether the deflection check is satisfied or not. Kindly share with us.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
gautam chattopadhyay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Box culvert Design <edited> Reply with quote

I feel sukanta is right. In ICT I always encourage my designers to consider flexible base rather than rigid base design in case of box structures, not only for culverts but for PUP and VUP also. it is always better to assess spring rate from results of soil investigation report, otherwise some plate load tests can be conducted to obtain pressure deflection diagram. Modulus of subgrade reaction is slope of the diagram.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Sudhakaran <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:

[edited]
     Sir,
I seems, it is soil base pressure. which will be equal to total downward pressure. In the above model it will be 45.396 kN and in this case the box will sunken to the earth and bottom slab will fail, since the base pressure(SBC) is 15.64kN while removing the fixed support provided in the model

Hence the base pressure should be equal to downward pressure.

sukanta.adhikari wrote:                Dear Mr Rajan,

Regards,
S Adhikari     

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: