www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

PhD - Which Area is best for research work ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
varsha.santosh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: PhD - Which Area is best for research work ? Reply with quote

Hello  All,

I Have completed my M.Tech in structural Engg last year(2012) and Have been working as an Assistant professor till now. I Am interested in studying further more and want to get into research work.

I want to start working on my Ph.D work, But i am unable to begin as I am confused thinking from where to start. The Thesis i submitted for my Masters Degree was based on Optimization.

I would be obliged if anyone of you could help me in selecting a topic/ Area for my Ph.D work.
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: PhD - Which Area is best for research work ? Reply with quote

Dear Er Varsha,

Though Optimization is a good area of research (I also started my thesis on Linear Programming way back in 1974, and did some work on Geometric Programming-Thanks to the generous help from Prof. A.B.Templeman (
University of Liverpool, U.K.)
, who sent his computer code by post) it is adopted very rarely in practice. It is because the variables encountered in practice are not continuous but discrete. For example if your optimization study says that I need to adopt a column of size 315.37 mm, I can not do that as Columns in practice are increased in size in steps of 50 mm- mostly dictated by available formwork!

Please go to any good Library and read the latest journals. You will get an idea about the latest topics( Currently Sustainability is the Buzz word). Select the one which appeals to you.

The next step is to select a college and teacher who will guide you!

Best wishes,
NS
varsha.santosh wrote:
Hello  All,

I Have completed my M.Tech in structural Engg last year(2012) and Have been working as an Assistant professor till now. I Am interested in studying further more and want to get into research work.

I want to start working on my Ph.D work, But i am unable to begin as I am confused thinking from where to start. The Thesis i submitted for my Masters Degree was based on Optimization.

I would be obliged if anyone of you could help me in selecting a topic/ Area for my Ph.D work.
drachintya
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your Thesis and dissertation in M Tech?
Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Freshers' Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: