www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Comparison of codes of practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sathyace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Comparison of codes of practice Reply with quote

Hi All,

I wanted to know about comparison of codes.

Can you please refer some good articles related to this.

Regards,
Sathya
B.V.Harsoda
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Sathya,

Refer below Links:-

Comparison of One- and Two-Way Slab Minimum
Thickness Provisions in Building Codes and Standards

http://www.sefindia.org/forum/files/1_and_2_way_slab_897.pdf

Other links:
http://www.sefindia.org/forum/search.htm?cx=011309042287105965323%3A-rusg9dz88q&ie=UTF-8&q=code+comparision&sa=Go&cof=FORID%3A11&siteurl=www.sefindia.org%2F&ref=&ss=10475j16774901j16

Regards,
B. V. Harsoda
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparison of codes of practice Reply with quote

Dear Er Sathya,

What you have asked is a very general question. What is the area in which you want comparison of codes? is it steel or concrete or wood? Is it analysis or design or construction or materials? Be specific in your request. Huge number of papers are available.

Best wishes,
NS  
sathyace wrote:
Hi All,

I wanted to know about comparison of codes.

Can you please refer some good articles related to this.

Regards,
Sathya
sathyace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for both of you sir.

I wanted to know about comparison of IS-456 with other country codes like

(ACI,BS etc) and find out difference between the codes.

Regards,

Sathya.
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Satya,

Even though IS 456 was revised in 2000, the main revision was in the clauses pertaining to durability( see http://www.rdso.indianrailways.gov.in/uploads/files/1296817844943-page_2.pdf for the overview of revisions). Hence most of the design provisions pertain to the 1978 code.

Since the Indian code provisions are based on the British code, they are similar, except a few clauses.

In my opinion, the most progressive code is the American code(except the shear provisions, which remain unchanged for a number of years for the sake of simplicity. For shear provisions, the Canadian code is the best and accurate as it is based on the Modified Compression Field theory. The irony is that most of the often cited papers on MCFT were published in ACI Structural Journal). ACI code is revised every three years. The current version is 2011. In 2014 the code is undergoing a complete reorganization. Please refer to my posting on this. ACI code clauses are adopted in NZS and Canadian codes also. ACI code contains provisions for strut and tie modeling and Anchor design. However for earthquake design some of the provisions of New Zealand code are better, though somewhat complicated.
The torsion provisions of IS 456 are outdated and ACI code provides a better provision, which is similar in NZS and Canadian code.

A number of papers are available comparing IS 456 and ACI and other codes. I myself have written a few papers in ICJ. Please go through The previous issues of ICJ.  Prof. Murty and his students have written a number of beautiful articles comparing IS code provisions, especially pertaining to earthquake resistant design. Recent issues of ICJ contain such articles on Shear walls. You may be interested to read my latest book on RC Design to be published by Oxford University Press, in which I have provided a comparison of ACI and IS codes.

Best wishes,
NS

sathyace wrote:
Thank you for both of you sir.

I wanted to know about comparison of IS-456 with other country codes like

(ACI,BS etc) and find out difference between the codes.

Regards,

Sathya.
sathyace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir.

Can you please tell me what are all the ACI codes used for RCC design as like our IS-456.

I found there no of ACI codes like ACI-318-02,ACI-318-08,ACI-318-11.

I have a confusion whice code is for what?

Also,can please share the link where we can get these codes.

Regards,
Sathya
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Satya,

ACI 318-2011 is the latest version of the code.  ACI 318-08, ACI 318-05, ACI 318-02, ACI 318-99 are all previous versions of the same code.

You can order a copy of this code at http://www.concrete.org/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?itemid=31811

Best wishes,
NS
sathyace wrote:
Thank you sir.

Can you please tell me what are all the ACI codes used for RCC design as like our IS-456.

I found there no of ACI codes like ACI-318-02,ACI-318-08,ACI-318-11.

I have a confusion whice code is for what?

Also,can please share the link where we can get these codes.

Regards,
Sathya
Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Freshers' Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: