www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

CONNECTION DESIGN AS PER MBMA

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitesh_danu
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: CONNECTION DESIGN AS PER MBMA Reply with quote

Respected Seniors,

I am using MBMA for steel design for first time and although i know all the clauses to make staad file but i am little confused with connection design.so i want to know if there is any significant difference between IS and MBMA for connection design???

Hope to see a reply from seniors of the forum.

Best Regards-

Nitesh Danu
ALEX IMMANUEL THAINESE
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear nitesh ;

guidelines in MBMA manual for connections refer to mathematical procedure and provisions given in AISC codes and design guides published by AISC.

if you check the biblography section and references section of MBMA manual (2002 ,2006 or any other year) you will come to know .

Just for your information and for others ,i am writing few lines

MBMA manual is a collection of guidelines which mainly covers practices for low rise metal building system . Commonly used MBMA guidelines are for wind load , seismic load  calculations.till MBMA 1996 the procedure for wind load calc , seismic calc were little different from other local building codes of USA , such as ASCE , IBC , UBC .but if you see MBMA 2002 and next versions till now MBMA has published  even the wind load and seismic load procedure mentioned are taken from ASCE-7.

for engineering design purposes ,no mathematical  calculation method for component design( i.e for rafters columns)  , connection design (end plate , fin plate etc) are given in MBMA code .it always refers to AISC mathematical procedures . for example in  MBMA 2002 , bolted end plate guidelines are refered to STEEL DESIGN GUIDE  SERIES NO. 16. (check Appendix A2 and references of MBMA 2002 ).

MBMA manual is just like National building code of India (NBC).though in india , NBC is called as code by most of engineers/consultants ,but if you see it only provides infor mation  such as for example guidelines covered in IS-456 for RCC and IS800 for steel structures . no mathematical procedures  for component design are establishment by NBC .

the organisation MBMA publishes this manual to provide set of guidelines particulary for a specified system of construction and design which is Low rise metal buildings(blg <18m>18m or  60 feet , it refers to provisions and guidelines of ASCE-7/IBC (this is mentioned in MBMA 2002 and next versions ,not mentioned in MBMA 1996 and previous versions)

there is always a confusion among engineers while discusing about MBMA verbally among each other or in forums like this. As most of the seniors are aware of the fact which i mentioned above , they generally donot get intrest in replying to post like this . they have feeling that the person who is posting such queries do not have any idea .i am just making this attempt to make engineeers confusing clear .i was too one among them and this got clear later .

while documenting your design calculation , please make sure you are referring MBMA 2012 where ever required and where ever it is appropriate  .

i am writing all this not to hurt you , so please take it sportingly and feel free to ask anything.

regards
Alex
nitesh_danu
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respected Sir,
Thanks for your valuable information and honest opinion about the subject. and sir i believe  that "its better to ask once and feel like a fool  than not to ask and remain a fool for lifetime" so i am glad that i asked and even more glad that you answered.Thanks again Sir.

With Best Regards-

Nitesh Danu
sandeep_chauhan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Explanation Alex.
There should be a LIKE button for such posts.

Best wishes Alex !

Sandeep Chauhan
ALEX IMMANUEL THAINESE
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear nitesh ;
some corrections in my post , some times i am very bad on keyboards , typing mistakes.....i am posting it again.

thank you very much for your feedback.....

guidelines in MBMA manual for connections refer to mathematical procedure and provisions given in AISC codes and design guides published by AISC.

if you check the biblography section and references section of MBMA manual (2002 ,2006 or any other year) you will come to know .

Just for your information and for others ,i am writing few lines

MBMA manual is a collection of guidelines which mainly covers practices for low rise metal building system . Commonly used MBMA guidelines are for wind load , seismic load  calculations.till MBMA 1996 the procedure for wind load calc , seismic calc were little different from other local building codes of USA , such as ASCE , IBC , UBC .but if you see MBMA 2002 and next versions till now MBMA has published  even the wind load and seismic load procedure mentioned are taken from ASCE-7.

for engineering design purposes ,no mathematical  calculation method for component design( i.e for rafters columns)  , connection design (end plate , fin plate etc) are given in MBMA code .it always refers to AISC mathematical procedures . for example in  MBMA 2002 , bolted end plate guidelines are refered to STEEL DESIGN GUIDE  SERIES NO. 16. (check Appendix A2 and references of MBMA 2002 ).

MBMA manual is just like National building code of India (NBC).though in india , NBC is called as code by most of engineers/consultants ,but if you see it only provides infor mation  such as for example guidelines covered in IS-456 for RCC and IS800 for steel structures . no mathematical procedures  for component design are establishment by NBC .

the organisation MBMA publishes this manual to provide set of guidelines particulary for a specified system of construction and design which is Low rise metal buildings i.e blg ht  <18m>18m or  60 feet , it refers to provisions and guidelines of ASCE-7/IBC (this is mentioned in MBMA 2002 and next versions ,not mentioned in MBMA 1996 and previous versions)

there is always a confusion among engineers while discusing about MBMA verbally among each other or in forums like this. As most of the seniors are aware of the fact which i mentioned above , they generally donot get intrest in replying to post like this . they have feeling that the person who is posting such queries do not have any idea .i am just making this attempt to make engineeers confusing clear .i was too one among them and this got clear later .

while documenting your design calculation , please make sure you are referring MBMA 2002 or other version where ever required and where ever it is appropriate  .

i am writing all this not to hurt you , so please take it sportingly and feel free to ask anything.

regards
Alex
nitesh_danu
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respected Sir,
Thanks again for your valuable effort sir .Actually i have made a excel sheet for pinned base condition as per AISC but i don't have anyone around me to verify it so can you please give me you email id so that i can send it you for verification??

Best Regards-

Nitesh Danu
logeshcivil
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: MBMA Reply with quote

Can anyone provide me with the link of MBMA 06?

Thank You

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: