www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Futuristic Architecture by Zaha Hadid Architects

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Engineering Marvels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Futuristic Architecture by Zaha Hadid Architects Reply with quote

Futuristic Architecture by Zaha Hadid Architects

If you ever wondered when we will see all those impossible buildings and futuristic architecture from the movies in real life, this article might have answer to your question. And of course, Zaha Hadid Architects are involved.

Zaha Hadid Architects'   latest project, City of Dreams Hotel Tower, soon to be built as the fifth tower in the City of Dreams complex built in Cotai, Macau.

City of Dreams is Asia’s well known gaming and entertainment resort developed and built by the Melco Crown Entertainment. Let’s just say Grand Hyatt, Hard Rock Hotel and Crown Hotels are some of the “residents” in the complex. And now Zaha’s futuristic hotel tower will join them. Construction has already started and tower is expected to be open in early 2017.

“With 40 floors and a gross floor area of 150,000 square meters, the tower houses approximately 780 guestrooms, suites and sky villas. The hotel also includes a variety of meeting and event facilities, gaming rooms, lobby atrium, restaurants, spa, and sky pool. Integrating extensive back of house areas and supporting ancillary facilities, the tower’s design resolves the many complex programs for the hotel within a single cohesive envelope.” – Zaha Hadid Architects

Tower’s design is the thing that attracted my attention in the first place.  Brilliant engineering and structural facade created an opportunity to literally put a hole in the tower and then connect two parts with the sky bridges. It  may look  impressive to look from inside!.

For more photos visit: http://www.architecturebeast.com/futuristic-architecture-by-zaha-hadid-architects/
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: In creativity Structural Engineers are not that far behind. Reply with quote

Dear  Dr.  Subramanian,
Take look at this WEB-LINK  from a Structural  Magazine .  In creativity we  are not that far behind Architects.

WEB-LINK:  

http://cenews.com/article/10040/structure-meets-architecture

Regards.

Vasudeo  Pandya P.E. ; S.E.
Structural Engineer

Habitat-67-03-Couryard-View-image-by-Timothy-Hursley.jpg
 Description:
Creativity Of structural Engineers.
 Filesize:  435.12 KB
 Viewed:  1185 Time(s)

Habitat-67-03-Couryard-View-image-by-Timothy-Hursley.jpg

Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: In creativity Structural Engineers are not that far beh Reply with quote

Thank you Er Pandyaji. I read this interesting article on Structural Engineer August Komendant, a few days ago!

Warm regards
Subramanian
VPandya wrote:
Dear  Dr.  Subramanian,
Take look at this WEB-LINK  from a Structural  Magazine .  In creativity we  are not that far behind Architects.

WEB-LINK:  

http://cenews.com/article/10040/structure-meets-architecture

Regards.

Vasudeo  Pandya P.E. ; S.E.
Structural Engineer
k.gangadharan
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attn: Mr. Vasudeva Pandya P.E; S.E.Thank you very much for the website given by you, in which engineer Komendat's  works are described in detailIt is wonderful and stunning reading..I went thru' the whole article giving details of works of Komendant, structural engineerI am surprised, why Komendant's name is not given importance like  eminent structural geniuses like Fazlur R. Khan,Leslie Robertson , Nervi, Torroja , Candela and William Baker.,some of  few outstanding  structural engineersKindly give articles (or web site ),of famous structural engineers , who were not in the lime light.Komendant has written four books  and can you give the title of those books ( english version)and name of publishers   as I wish to get those books.thank you once again and with regardsK. Gangadharan Kesavan P.E;F. ASCE..
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Gangadharan,

As mentioned by you Er Komendant was the author of several books, including:

Prestressed Concrete Structures, McGraw Hill, 1952, 261 pp.
Contemporary Concrete Structures, McGraw-Hill Inc, 1972, 670 pp.
18 years with Architect Louis I. Kahn, Aloray, 1975, 192 pp.

Practical Structural Analysis for Architectural Engineering,  Prentice Hall, 1987, 160 pp
In his book 18 years with Architect Louis I. Kahn, Komendant reproduced a letter that Kahn had written to the American Institute of Architects (AIA) in 1973 recommending that Komendant be honored with the AIA's Allied Professions Medal.[6]:vii–x According to his obituary in the New York Times, in 1978 the AIA awarded Komendant a medal, the name of which is not specified in the obituary, for "inspiring or influencing the architectural profession"

Note that these books are old and may not be available!

Regards
Subramanian

k.gangadharan wrote:
Attn: Mr. Vasudeva Pandya P.E; S.E.Thank you very much for the website given by you, in which engineer Komendat's  works are described in detailIt is wonderful and stunning reading..I went thru' the whole article giving details of works of Komendant, structural engineerI am surprised, why Komendant's name is not given importance like  eminent structural geniuses like Fazlur R. Khan,Leslie Robertson , Nervi, Torroja , Candela and William Baker.,some of  few outstanding  structural engineersKindly give articles (or web site ),of famous structural engineers , who were not in the lime light.Komendant has written four books  and can you give the title of those books ( english version)and name of publishers   as I wish to get those books.thank you once again and with regardsK. Gangadharan Kesavan P.E;F. ASCE..
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: I will keep in mind of letting our SEFI friends know. Reply with quote

Dear  Er.  k. Gangadharanji,

I will keep in mind of  letting our SEFI  friends know about some great Civil/Structural Engineers, whom our  construction Industry has  not  yet  given enough credit for what they have done.  For now I thank Dr. N. Subramanian for taking care of this very well in his post about  this eminent  Structural Engineer  "Komendant" .  

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E. ; S.E.
Structural  Engineer
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Engineering Marvels All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: