www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Architect and Structural Engineer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uhvaryani
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,           During my career,I have always enjoyed working with architects.Many of them have become my friends.I respect their profession.A new work first goes to an architect.He has to have many meetings with client and he prepares sketches and plans as per client's requirements and also in accordance with municipal bye-laws.When an architect prepares detailed architectural drawings,then he needs help of structural engineer,estimating engineer other services engineers.
            An architect is taught structural analysis and design as a subject of his studies.But,as the scope of his work is quite large,he needs assistance of a structural engineer for safety and economy of structure.So architect and structural engineer form a team to deliver the final building.
             Often,requirements of an architect vary from the needs of a structural engineer.For example,architect prefers less number of columns in a building,while structural engineer will like to have more number of columns.Architect prefers  shallow beams to save on the head room,while structural engineer likes to have more depth for beams to save on steel consumption.Further,positioning of some columns may become a point of contention.My approach has always been to do the structural design of a building as it is given to me by the architect.I like to make as few changes as possible in architectural drawings.I respect the of work of architect.
              But I have not found an architect who does not change his drawings.He will suddenly omit columns in some locations or make other changes without informing structural engineer.This creates practical problems and puts the work of structural engineer to naught.Some architects will go to the site and make sweeping changes which may lead to extra cost and wastage.The bigger the architect,the bigger is his ego.We,in all professions, are egoistic people.All good lawyers,doctors,architects, engineers have egos.The bigger the professional, the bigger is his ego.In my view,ego is required for success in career.Sri Ramakrishna has said that man of knowledge is known by two things,one is absence of pride and the other is peaceful nature.By being egoist, a professional is seen to possess shallow knowledge.
              In my Life Story,I have written that' there often remains some tension in relations between architects and their structural engineers'.This is true in practice.The solution lies in the process of having respect for each other.Architect should respect the role of structural engineer and structural engineer should appreciate the work of architect.
              Dear Sefians,what are your experiences in this respect?
with best wishes and regards,
uhvaryani

Posted via Email
Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
dipak_bhattacharya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Architects’ ego clash with structural engineers are from time immemorial. It is more so with Govt. Architects, with more years of service, promotions and experiences.
Todays’ professional Architects love only draughting with new and new softwares with no interest to learn detailing of reinforcements of their own ideas and their lies the problem with civil structural designers, throwing all detailing jobs to the engineers already loaded with structural designing. It is still acceptable, provided they are good at concept design.But alas, that is not taught at the Institutions.There the emphasis is limited to draughting only.

The biggest agony is that an Architect’s drawing cannot be used for constructions, and all of their drawings are converted to working drawings in the language of civil engineers who are at site for constructions.

The statements are unpalatable but these are facts.Architects’ drawing are limited to appreciation of beauties only, if those are really unique.

Regards,

Dipak Bhattacharya.
-[quote]On 02-Oct-2015, at 7:13 pm, uhvaryani <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Dear Sefians, During my career,I have always enjoyed working with architects.Many of them have become my friends.I respect their profession.A new work first goes to an architect.He has to have many meetings with client and he prepares sketches and plans as per client's requirements and also in accordance with municipal bye-laws.When an architect prepares detailed architectural drawings,then he needs help of structural engineer,estimating engineer other services engineers. An architect is taught structural analysis and design as a subject of his studies.But,as the scope of his work is quite large,he needs assistance of a structural engineer for safety and economy of structure.So architect and structural engineer form a team to deliver the final building. Often,requirements of an architect vary from the needs of a structural engineer.For example,architect prefers less number of columns in a building,while structural engineer will like to have more number of columns.Architect prefers shallow beams to save on the head room,while structural engineer likes to have more depth for beams to save on steel consumption.Further,positioning of some columns may become a point of contention.My approach has always been to do the structural design of a building as it is given to me by the architect.I like to make as few changes as possible in architectural drawings.I respect the of work of architect. But I have not found an architect who does not change his drawings.He will suddenly omit columns in some locations or make other changes without informing structural engineer.This creates practical problems and puts the work of structural engineer to naught.Some architects will go to the site and make sweeping changes which may lead to extra cost and wastage.The bigger the architect,the bigger is his ego.We,in all professions, are egoistic people.All good lawyers,doctors,architects, engineers have egos.The bigger the professional, the bigger is his ego.In my view,ego is required for success in career.Sri Ramakrishna has said that man of knowledge is known by two things,one is absence of pride and the other is peaceful nature.By being egoist, a professional is seen to possess shallow knowledge. In my Life Story,I have written that' there often remains some tension in relations between architects and their structural engineers'.This is true in practice.The solution lies in the process of having respect for each other.Architect should respect the role of structural engineer and structural engineer should appreciate the work of architect. Dear Sefians,what are your experiences in this respect?with best wishes and regards,uhvaryani--

Posted via Email
mohd_arastu
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Very true.  
An architect told me we hire structural engineer so that he can provide us the solution of structural problems if arises during changes in their project which they dream and the dream changes every day .
Now we are only working people, we have to agreed whatever they wants else loose the project.  
There is another statement by architects that "you are not only the engineer, there are many which we can hire and can do the job that you denied to do." On Oct 2, 2015 10:12 PM, "dipak_bhattacharya" <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Architects’ ego clash with structural engineers are from time immemorial. It is more so with Govt. Architects, with more years of service, promotions and experiences.
Todays’ professional Architects love only draughting with new and new softwares with no interest to learn detailing of reinforcements of their own ideas and their lies the problem with civil structural designers, throwing all detailing jobs to the engineers already loaded with structural designing. It is still acceptable, provided they are good at concept design.But alas, that is not taught at the Institutions.There the emphasis is limited to draughting only.

The biggest agony is that an Architect’s drawing cannot be used for constructions, and all of their drawings are converted to working drawings in the language of civil engineers who are at site for constructions.

The statements are unpalatable but these are facts.Architects’ drawing are limited to appreciation of beauties only, if those are really unique.

Regards,

Dipak Bhattacharya.
-
Quote:
On 02-Oct-2015, at 7:13 pm, uhvaryani forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:
Dear Sefians, During my career,I have always enjoyed working with architects.Many of them have become my friends.I respect their profession.A new work first goes to an architect.He has to have many meetings with client and he prepares sketches and plans as per client's requirements and also in accordance with municipal bye-laws.When an architect prepares detailed architectural drawings,then he needs help of structural engineer,estimating engineer other services engineers. An architect is taught structural analysis and design as a subject of his studies.But,as the scope of his work is quite large,he needs assistance of a structural engineer for safety and economy of structure.So architect and structural engineer form a team to deliver the final building. Often,requirements of an architect vary from the needs of a structural engineer.For example,architect prefers less number of columns in a building,while structural engineer will like to have more number of columns.Architect prefers shallow beams to save on the head room,while structural engineer likes to have more depth for beams to save on steel consumption.Further,positioning of some columns may become a point of contention.My approach has always been to do the structural design of a building as it is given to me by the architect.I like to make as few changes as possible in architectural drawings.I respect the of work of architect. But I have not found an architect who does not change his drawings.He will suddenly omit columns in some locations or make other changes without informing structural engineer.This creates practical problems and puts the work of structural engineer to naught.Some architects will go to the site and make sweeping changes which may lead to extra cost and wastage.The bigger the architect,the bigger is his ego.We,in all professions, are egoistic people.All good lawyers,doctors,architects, engineers have egos.The bigger the professional, the bigger is his ego.In my view,ego is required for success in career.Sri Ramakrishna has said that man of knowledge is known by two things,one is absence of pride and the other is peaceful nature.By being egoist, a professional is seen to possess shallow knowledge. In my Life Story,I have written that' there often remains some tension in relations between architects and their structural engineers'.This is true in practice.The solution lies in the process of having respect for each other.Architect should respect the role of structural engineer and structural engineer should appreciate the work of architect. Dear Sefians,what are your experiences in this respect?with best wishes and regards,uhvaryani--

Posted via Email
SATYAPAUL
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

dear sefians, if we consider work of an architect like a surgeon and building like a human body,then each has to  contribute for the welfare of a human being.ego is the biggest evil.most knowledgeable person is humble  and calm.he never hurts other's work.apart from learning subjects in a college or university,one must  be taught human behaviour.an angry person instead of solving the problem, generates more enemies. since architects interact with their clients and are first person and thus become prime movers and  other professionals become secondary,because they do not come in contact with the client. The clients must be made aware that the role of structural,civil,electrical,mechanical,fire engineers  etc etc. is equally important.if you have a Mercedes car and very rich, button to a shirt is to  stitched,then you need a sewing needle,which is not so costly.but importance of sewing needle can not  be ignored.finally i would say in a society,the good education shall comprise of humbleness and respect  for all.A learned person is always humble,because he wants to learn.one must learn from RAMAYNA and  MAHABHARTA.How proudy kings fell.Hence all sections of society shall contribute,including Architects  and Engineers. regards and thanks satya paul On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 19:13:57 +0530 "uhvaryani"  wrote >                   Dear Sefians,� � � During my career,I have always enjoyed working with architects.Many of  them have become my friends.I respect their profession.A new work first goes to an architect.He has to  have many meetings with client and he prepares sketches and plans as per client';s requirements and  also in accordance with municipal bye-laws.When an architect prepares detailed architectural  drawings,then he needs help of structural engineer,estimating engineer other services engineers. > � � � An architect is taught structural analysis and design as a subject of his studies.But,as the  scope of his work is quite large,he needs assistance of a structural engineer for safety and economy of  structure.So architect and structural engineer form a team to deliver the final building. > � � � Often,requirements of an architect vary from the needs of a structural engineer.For  example,architect prefers less number of columns in a building,while structural engineer will like to  have more number of columns.Architect prefers shallow beams to save on the head room,while structural  engineer likes to have more depth for beams to save on steel consumption.Further,positioning of some  columns may become a point of contention.My approach has always been to do the structural design of a  building as it is given to me by the architect.I like to make as few changes as possible in  architectural drawings.I respect the of work of architect. > � � � But I have not found an architect who does not change his drawings.He will suddenly omit  columns in some locations or make other changes without informing structural engineer.This creates  practical problems and puts the work of structural engineer to naught.Some architects will go to the  site and make sweeping changes which may lead to extra cost and wastage.The bigger the architect,the  bigger is his ego.We,in all professions, are egoistic people.All good lawyers,doctors,architects,  engineers have egos.The bigger the professional, the bigger is his ego.In my view,ego is required for  success in career.Sri Ramakrishna has said that man of knowledge is known by two things,one is absence  of pride and the other is peaceful nature.By being egoist, a professional is seen to possess shallow  knowledge. > � � � In my Life Story,I have written that'; there often remains some tension in relations  between architects and their structural engineers';.This is true in practice.The solution lies in the  process of having respect for each other.Architect should respect the role of structural engineer and  structural engineer should appreciate the work of architect. > � � � Dear Sefians,what are your experiences in this respect? > with best wishes and regards, > uhvaryani >       > >  >  > --

Posted via Email
JVCSNL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can go on debating the issue of the professional companions.  The command and dominance ofone over another is highly debatable and I guess no conclusive solution can be reached.  Here we are trying to justify, who’s important?

For clients, it is the architects who understands therequirements and uses his creativity to solve a problem of client.  In turn, it may so happen that he may put thechallenges on the shoulder of structural engineer, who in turn solves thechallenge imposed by an architect. Ultimately, a structural engineer helps ultimate client what he wants.  In a way, it is blessings for the professionof structural engineer.  Until suchchallenges are imposed, our creativity will not flourish.  

We must respect the position of client.  For client, the aesthetic aspects rule overany other aspect and they expect reasonable economy and safety in thestructures.  To support the client, Architecttakes care of space utilization and aesthetics, whereas the engineer takes careof economy and safety.  Hence, in myopinion, it is the combination of both that creates something satisfactory for them.

I guess, instead of working with ego and dominance approach,if both can appreciate each other’s point of view, the outcome will bebest.  We must appreciate that it is theduo of both these professions that wins and individually, we may not win.  In practice, one role may get little preferencedue to certain reasons, if we understand that preference, the pain will beless.  I doubt, whether such clashes ofunderstanding prevail in other countries.

For clients, both are important.  
karamchandani
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Respected Sir,
Now a days everyone has ego.
Fresher says they have latest technology.
Seniors says they are more experienced.
Architect says we are Boss as we are engaging Structural Engineer.
There are very few humble and down to earth, like you.
Regards
Karamchandani
On Oct 2, 2015 7:15 PM, "uhvaryani" <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Dear Sefians,           During my career,I have always enjoyed working with architects.Many of them have become my friends.I respect their profession.A new work first goes to an architect.He has to have many meetings with client and he prepares sketches and plans as per client's requirements and also in accordance with municipal bye-laws.When an architect prepares detailed architectural drawings,then he needs help of structural engineer,estimating engineer other services engineers.
            An architect is taught structural analysis and design as a subject of his studies.But,as the scope of his work is quite large,he needs assistance of a structural engineer for safety and economy of structure.So architect and structural engineer form a team to deliver the final building.
             Often,requirements of an architect vary from the needs of a structural engineer.For example,architect prefers less number of columns in a building,while structural engineer will like to have more number of columns.Architect prefers  shallow beams to save on the head room,while structural engineer likes to have more depth for beams to save on steel consumption.Further,positioning of some columns may become a point of contention.My approach has always been to do the structural design of a building as it is given to me by the architect.I like to make as few changes as possible in architectural drawings.I respect the of work of architect.
              But I have not found an architect who does not change his drawings.He will suddenly omit columns in some locations or make other changes without informing structural engineer.This creates practical problems and puts the work of structural engineer to naught.Some architects will go to the site and make sweeping changes which may lead to extra cost and wastage.The bigger the architect,the bigger is his ego.We,in all professions, are egoistic people.All good lawyers,doctors,architects, engineers have egos.The bigger the professional, the bigger is his ego.In my view,ego is required for success in career.Sri Ramakrishna has said that man of knowledge is known by two things,one is absence of pride and the other is peaceful nature.By being egoist, a professional is seen to possess shallow knowledge.
              In my Life Story,I have written that' there often remains some tension in relations between architects and their structural engineers'.This is true in practice.The solution lies in the process of having respect for each other.Architect should respect the role of structural engineer and structural engineer should appreciate the work of architect.
uhvaryani

Posted via Email
santhoshakotrappa
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Yes I agree one should respect other profession and vice versa.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:10 PM, dipak_bhattacharya <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
[quote]            Architects’ ego clash with structural engineers are from time immemorial. It is more so with Govt. Architects, with more years of service, promotions and experiences.

Regards,

Dipak Bhattacharya.
-
Quote:
On 02-Oct-2015, at 7:13 pm, uhvaryani forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:

Posted via Email
namdev_warade
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

I am a civil engineer but mostly engaged in building planning like explained above with municipal bye-laws etc.My point is what should I called as ? Above writers wrote with the angle of Architects or as if only architects do planning.It is underestimating the diverse knowledge of civil engineers and inadvertently or indirectly supports Architects greater than that of civil engineers.What @ people like me who are working as planning engineers? or do what the jobs architects do? yes we should have respect to their field no matter,but with maintaining our dignity and not like accepting them as our boss.good luck

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:10 PM, dipak_bhattacharya <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:

Regards,

Dipak Bhattacharya.
-
Quote:

Posted via Email
ibarua
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

5th October 2015

Fellow engineers, like it or not, for a vast majority of engineering projects, the architect's drawings are the 'mother' drawings on the basis of which engineering drawings have to be made. Indeed, Hudson's Dictionary has called the architect the 'Master Builder'. While the architect provides the shape and the form, the engineer provides the substance to enable the architect's creation to be of service.

Having said that, let me add that I have not quite understood what Er Dipak Bhattacharyya is trying to say in the 2nd paragraph of his post. I am only trying to clarify the scopes & functions of the architect and the structural engineer to enable all of us to understand and appreciate the status of the different professionals engaged in design activity in a building nor similar engineering project.

Indrajit Barua.

Sent: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 22:12:39
To: general@sefindia.org
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Architect and Structural Engineer

Regards,

Dipak Bhattacharya.
-
Quote:
On 02-Oct-2015, at 7:13 pm, uhvaryani <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Posted via Email
basant_kukreti
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Architect and Structural Engineer Reply with quote

Dear Mr VaryaniThis is  the universal truth.
regards
Basant

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 7:13 PM, uhvaryani <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
uhvaryani

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: