www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Is certification really important ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salman Quadri
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Is certification really important ??? Reply with quote

Hi folks I am a graduate civil engineer working as a site engineer with more than 2 years of experience ...over the time I have developed more interest in structural field so since last few months I am going through various structure relatedd books,article and moreover I got good command over software such as ETABS,SAP,SAFE,stad and even Primavera by learning through various E tutors and YouTube channels ...so I recently I came across a guy who said, to pursue a career in Structural engineering one must be a Master's along with certificates of software courses from training institute...so my question is can hope for a breakthrough with these credentials ???or should join some institute and get certificates ??Hope to get some guidance  soon ...
vegad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Salman,

You are proceeding in correct way. Dive in a practicing engineers office and get in the game.

There are two advantages of masters degree; first you get to know the subject in research details and you capable to innovate; second you can satisfy the criteria for recruitment which is incapable to probe your structural interests and problem solving skills, by quality questions.

Once you gain experience, only performance speaks.

Frankly for Indian market, you may choose masters for 2nd reason, if you can afford to. If your interests are strong, you won't need a regular masters. But still if really need to; go for ocean engineering; or aero space structure designs . . .that's where real masters level knowledge of structural engineering is called for.

Hope it helps.
saikiran gone
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is certification really important ??? Reply with quote

Salman Quadri wrote:
Hi folks I am a graduate civil engineer working as a site engineer with more than 2 years of experience ...over the time I have developed more interest in structural field so since last few months I am going through various structure relatedd books,article and moreover I got good command over software such as ETABS,SAP,SAFE,stad and even Primavera by learning through various E tutors and YouTube channels ...so I recently I came across a guy who said, to pursue a career in Structural engineering one must be a Master's along with certificates of software courses from training institute...so my question is can hope for a breakthrough with these credentials ???or should join some institute and get certificates ??Hope to get some guidance  soon ...

Hi Salman Quadri,

As said by vegad , in India companies will allow you to design the structure if you are the post graduate in structures.

But, it does not mean that if you are good in using structural software's , you have good knowledge in basic concepts.

My suggestion is to do M.tech structures in  well-known university to get the structural responses/behavior knowledge and basic concepts.

In youtube, you will get steps to how to use the software, but you won't get the feel of actual practical work unless you are good in structural basics.

With best,
Saikiran.
vegad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Salman,

This . . .

"it does not mean that if you are good in using structural software's , you have good knowledge in basic concepts"

. . cannot be generalized if your basics are true to your certificate, at least in the subjects of your interest and if you have demonstrated various initiatives in it.

Do not eye directly for big practices or companies, if it isn't easy. But join a credible small consulting practice.

If offered as intern, never go for free internship even if it is run by experts. Doing that is encouraging mutual disrespect against the labor. Never forget, by applying knowledge in a profession means you are entering a business flow. This shall make you more responsible for whichever results you deliver.

Engineering companies (OnG/LnG) did hire graduate engineers who didn't have even project works related to structures . . it all happened on basics.

All the best.
Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Freshers' Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: