www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

PLASTIC HINGE FORMATION OF RC BEAM

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahil_azeez
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: PLASTIC HINGE FORMATION OF RC BEAM Reply with quote

Dear SEFIANS,
        I am working on my Mtech thesis. My topic is "study of plastic hinge formation of RC beam". I am actually planning to cast 1.5m span RC beam of width 0.2m and depth 0.4m using different reinforcement pattern and i want to study the plastic hinge formation just before complete collapse. I am taking beam with both ends fixed condition.

So please i need some good suggestions and advices from the seniors in this forum saying how best i can carry on with this work and share me some good informations regarding this topic if anyone knows. It would be a great help. because i dont find much sources for plastic analysis of RCC on google.
santosh_kirve
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: PLASTIC HINGE FORMATION OF RC BEAM Reply with quote

Please reconsider the span of the beam you have chosen. With this span to depth ratio the failure is likely to be brittle and a shear failure.

Do read Dr Subramanian's book on RCC design which has a section on plastic hinge formation and related topics.
Abishek_Siingh
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: PLASTIC HINGE FORMATION OF RC BEAM Reply with quote

rahil_azeez wrote:
Dear SEFIANS,
        I am working on my Mtech thesis. My topic is "study of plastic hinge formation of RC beam". I am actually planning to cast 1.5m span RC beam of width 0.2m and depth 0.4m using different reinforcement pattern and i want to study the plastic hinge formation just before complete collapse. I am taking beam with both ends fixed condition.

So please i need some good suggestions and advices from the seniors in this forum saying how best i can carry on with this work and share me some good informations regarding this topic if anyone knows. It would be a great help. because i dont find much sources for plastic analysis of RCC on google.

1. As mentioned by Mr. Kirve, the span of the beam isnt the right spann to study plastic hinges. Please select realistic span like 5m and keep beam sizes 300x500 which is a good size.

2. I dont know how you plan to achieve fixity...

3. Install strain gauges properly.

You may want to reach out to some academicians in this regards. There are a few university professors in this forum as well.

Abishek
rahil_azeez
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: PLASTIC HINGE FORMATION OF RC BEAM Reply with quote

santosh_kirve wrote:
Please reconsider the span of the beam you have chosen. With this span to depth ratio the failure is likely to be brittle and a shear failure.

Do read Dr Subramanian's book on RCC design which has a section on plastic hinge formation and related topics.

OK Sir thank you.. i will go through that book
rahil_azeez
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: PLASTIC HINGE FORMATION OF RC BEAM Reply with quote

Abishek_Siingh wrote:
rahil_azeez wrote:
Dear SEFIANS,

1. As mentioned by Mr. Kirve, the span of the beam isnt the right spann to study plastic hinges. Please select realistic span like 5m and keep beam sizes 300x500 which is a good size.

2. I dont know how you plan to achieve fixity...

3. Install strain gauges properly.

You may want to reach out to some academicians in this regards. There are a few university professors in this forum as well.

Abishek

Hello Sir,
Thank you for your valuable response.

1. As you mentioned providing 5m span would be very difficult for me to test using the loading frame setup we have.  Is it ok if i keep my span 1.8m and reduce the depth to 300.

2. I am providing fixity by casting column junctions.
spsvasan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: PLASTIC HINGE FORMATION OF RC BEAM Reply with quote

rahil_azeez wrote:
Dear SEFIANS,

Dear Er.Rahil Azeez

I think you must do some calculations before finalising the test setup.

you must calculate the flexural capacity at midspan of the beam based on tension in steel and also based on compression in concrete to ensure that the steel will yield during your experimental loads and concrete will not crush

You must also ensure that the support steel does not yield before the midspan steel

You must also ensure that your columns are sufficiently stiff to ensure fixity to the beam. Long time back, I have read somewhere that the sump of stiffness of lower and upper column should be higher than 8 times the stiffness of the beam in order to simulate fixity conditions.

You must also ensure that the columns have adequate size and reinforcement to ensure that they do not fail prematurely

S.P.Srinivasan
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: