www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Table 46 - IS: 800 - 2007 - Steel Section dimenions

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Table 46 - IS: 800 - 2007 - Steel Section dimenions Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

In Table 46, Annex H, IS:800-2007, sectional properties of several Indian Standard Beam sections are listed which are based on outdated BIS Handbook SP:6(1)-1964. In my opinion, this Table should have been based on IS:808-1989 which is more recent. Between these two BIS publications, there are variations in the dimensions of Beam section by about 4-5%.  BIS has goofed up in giving wrong details in Table 46. I would be interested to know views of other  SEFI Engineers on this important matter.  

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E)
abhio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prabhakar Sir,

I am sorry to be responding to your message so late, but I only came across it today. You are, of course, correct in stating that section properties as per IS: 808 are slightly different from those mentioned in SP-6 (1). I am not aware of the reason behind the difference, however.

I wonder if you could throw some light on when and why the section properties were changed. The BIS website shows that SP-6 (1) is "inactive". It really ought to be revised.

Thanks and regards,

Abhijeet Oundhakar
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Table 46 - IS: 800 - 2007 - Steel Section dimenions Reply with quote

Dear Er Prabhakar,

Yes. you are right.  I have also mentioned about this in Appendix A of my Steel Design book. I have used the values given in IS 808 in Appendix A. Anyhow, I was not aware that IS 800 took these values from BIS Handbook SP:6(1)-1964!

Warm regards
NS

N. Prabhakar wrote:
Dear Sefians,

In Table 46, Annex H, IS:800-2007, sectional properties of several Indian Standard Beam sections are listed which are based on outdated BIS Handbook SP:6(1)-1964. In my opinion, this Table should have been based on IS:808-1989 which is more recent. Between these two BIS publications, there are variations in the dimensions of Beam section by about 4-5%.  BIS has goofed up in giving wrong details in Table 46. I would be interested to know views of other  SEFI Engineers on this important matter.  

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Vasai (E)
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Abhijeet Oundhakar and Dr. Subramanian,

Thank you for rejuvenating the topic which I had raised here five weeks ago.  I am sure that this important topic will now bring notice to a larger membership of SEFI.

I note that the Steel Section Handbook SP: 6-1 was first published in 1956 and later revised in 1964 and  reaffirmed by BIS in the year 2000.
IS: 808 was first published in 1984 and later revised in 1989 and  reaffirmed by BIS in the year 2004.  There are dimensional variations for some of the beam sections in both these publications.

The variation in Zp and Zex values in SP6-(1) and IS:808 are more marked (up to about 4.5%) in ISMB 200, ISMB 300 and ISMB 600.  In the overall design, this variation makes a small difference in the strength capacity of steel members subjected to bending.

Besides, as of now, the Indian steel manufacturers seem to roll the steel sections as per both the publications.  In this circumstance, before designing, the structural engineer has to find the sectional properties from the manufacturer who is to supply the material for the project.

With the above uncertainties, our structural design is not exact although the code IS: 800-2007 tries to make it with all sorts of design parameters.  It is high time BIS discontinue publishing SP: 6-1.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: